pixeltracker

Should I listen to the Book of Mormon soundtrack before seeing it?

Should I listen to the Book of Mormon soundtrack before seeing it?

ElizabethT27
#1Should I listen to the Book of Mormon soundtrack before seeing it?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 10:20am

I'm seeing Book of Mormon next week, and I can't decide if I should listen to the music first. I don't want to ruin the jokes before seeing it live, but I also don't want to be lost because I don't know the music. Help please!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2Should I listen to the Book of Mormon soundtrack before seeing it?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 10:23am

Well....do you go to the movies without knowing all the lines from it first?

BOM  Profile Photo
BOM
#2Should I listen to the Book of Mormon soundtrack before seeing it?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 10:24am

I would not. I saw it right before the OBCR was even out. While the show will still be funny if you do, it will be even funnier if you don't. Some songs have shock value and if you already know its gonna happen then it takes away the shock value obviously.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#3Should I listen to the Book of Mormon soundtrack before seeing it?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 10:25am

Welcome to BWW... :)

PS Change the word "soundtrack" to "cast album"... it's irksome for some people. lol.

If you want to enjoy the show, especially going into it not knowing anything about it or the music, listen to it as soon as you leave the theatre. lol.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#4Should I listen to the Book of Mormon soundtrack before seeing it?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 10:27am

I know a girl who went to see PHANTOM OF THE OPERA without knowing any of the songs and she died.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#5Should I listen to the Book of Mormon cast recording before seeing it?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 10:30am

I would suggest not listening to the CAST RECORDING at all before you go. I saw it before it came out and the surprise made it even better.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#6Should I listen to the Book of Mormon cast recording before seeing it?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 10:37am

"PS Change the word "soundtrack" to "cast album"... it's irksome for some people. lol."

Yes, it is, because considering how OCD so many people here are about who plays what when in which company, what show curtains, scenery and views from particular seats are like, and which classic shows NEED revivals, which FLOP shows NEED revivals, and which beloved icons of the stage NEED a Tony Award, is it too much to expect you know the difference between an OBCR and a "soundtrack?"

( Said he, tongue firmly in cheek )

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#7Should I listen to the Book of Mormon cast recording before seeing it?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 10:39am

What LizzieCurry said reminded me of the disclaimer John Lithgow recorded for the Dirty Rotten Scoundrels album.

Go unspoiled.

ElizabethT27
#8Should I listen to the Book of Mormon cast recording before seeing it?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 10:41am

Thanks to the people who responded. I don't know everything about Broadway, and maybe instead of being "irked" over using one wrong word you should be glad new people are exposing themselves to theater. It's not that big of a deal.

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#9Should I listen to the Book of Mormon cast recording before seeing it?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 10:47am

I purchased the cast recording several weeks before seeing it. I didn't listen to ANY of it (not even 1 song) before seeing the show and I'm SO glad I waited. Don't give into the temptation to listen before seeing the show. I think the payoff will be worth the wait.

". . . POP . . ."

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#10Should I listen to the Book of Mormon cast recording before seeing it?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 10:54am

You already know two songs because they were on the Tonys, right?

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#11Should I listen to the Book of Mormon cast recording before seeing it?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 10:55am

Didn't mean anything negative by it, Elizabeth. Should I listen to the Book of Mormon cast recording before seeing it? Just letting you know because of experiences I've seen on the boards before.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#12Should I listen to the Book of Mormon cast recording before seeing it?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 10:56am

"It's not that big of a deal"

Oh yes it is.

So is the over misuse of the word "of."

Should I listen to the Book of Mormon cast recording before seeing it?

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#13Should I listen to the Book of Mormon cast recording before seeing it?

Don't be defensive, Elizabeth -- just take it as education!

And enjoy a great show!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

lenstersf
#14Should I listen to the Book of Mormon cast recording before seeing it?

Agree...don't listen to it. You might miss a few words here and there, but I think you'll enjoy it more if it's all a surprise.

mmFan Profile Photo
mmFan
#15Should I listen to the Book of Mormon cast recording before seeing it?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 12:22pm

I downloaded the songs prior to seeing BOM last year, but that's just a personal preference. I didn't find it ruined the story or took away any of the jokes, but for me, I like to know the music beforehand as I tend to enjoy the show a bit more...plus, previewing the music gives me an idea if I want to see the swho in the first place...but again, it's a personal preference

Updated On: 2/28/13 at 12:22 PM

bobs3
#16Should I listen to the Book of Mormon cast recording before seeing it?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 2:15pm

If you listen to recording before seeing the show you will enjoy it (the album) but if you wait until after seeing the show let me tell you, you will be in for some of the most hilarious and enjoyable moments you will ever see on the Broadway stage (there are people on this board that just don't get Matt Stone-Trey Parker humor but they can go f**k themselves).

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#17Should I listen to the Book of Mormon cast recording before seeing it?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 2:49pm

(there are people on this board that just don't get Matt Stone-Trey Parker humor but they can go f**k themselves).

How?

bobs3
#18Should I listen to the Book of Mormon cast recording before seeing it?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 2:53pm

Updated On: 2/28/13 at 02:53 PM

bobs3
#19Should I listen to the Book of Mormon cast recording before seeing it?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 2:54pm

How?

If you are that curious about how to, I'm sure Eric Cartman could suggest a way!

Updated On: 2/28/13 at 02:54 PM

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#20Should I listen to the Book of Mormon cast recording before seeing it?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 4:21pm

First of all - welcome!

Secondly, I am jealous (want to see it, but still too much $$$).

And lastly, I agree with those who say listen to it AFTER seeing it.....

GoshGeeGolly
Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
#22Should I listen to the Book of Mormon cast recording before seeing it?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 8:40pm

Don't listen to the soundtra---uh, cast recording. You won't be seeing them anyway

"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#23Should I listen to the Book of Mormon cast recording before seeing it?
Posted: 3/1/13 at 10:46am

Another vote for no. You only get to be surprised once! Let it be at the theater.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

twinbelters Profile Photo
twinbelters
#24Should I listen to the Book of Mormon cast recording before seeing it?
Posted: 3/1/13 at 11:07am

If you have an opportunity to hear it with fresh ears, then do that. You can always listen to the recording after and see the show again!

With Irma you gotta do something!