pixeltracker

2013 Pulitzer Prize Frontrunners?

2013 Pulitzer Prize Frontrunners?

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#12013 Pulitzer Prize Frontrunners?
Posted: 3/7/13 at 1:01pm

The Pulitzers will be awarded next month; who do you think are the immediate frontrunners for the prize?

Updated On: 3/7/13 at 01:01 PM

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#22013 Pulitzer Prize Frontrunners?
Posted: 3/7/13 at 1:06pm

Vanya and Sasha and Masha and Spike perhaps???

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#22013 Pulitzer Prize Frontrunners?
Posted: 3/7/13 at 1:17pm

The Great God Pan & The Whale seem likely possibilities

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#32013 Pulitzer Prize Frontrunners?
Posted: 3/7/13 at 1:41pm

Unless there is an all-too-obvious front runner, it's tough to predict the Pulitzer. And even then, they like to be contrary.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#42013 Pulitzer Prize Frontrunners?
Posted: 3/7/13 at 1:42pm

BOMBSHELL.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#52013 Pulitzer Prize Frontrunners?
Posted: 3/7/13 at 3:27pm

4000 Miles.

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#62013 Pulitzer Prize Frontrunners?
Posted: 3/7/13 at 4:24pm

The Hit List

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

mpd4165
#72013 Pulitzer Prize Frontrunners?
Posted: 3/7/13 at 4:41pm

perhaps Disgraced, especially after the Variety review, I believe.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#82013 Pulitzer Prize Frontrunners?
Posted: 3/7/13 at 10:46pm

Is GIANT eligible?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#92013 Pulitzer Prize Frontrunners?
Posted: 3/7/13 at 11:23pm

The Great God Pan was awful. No way it will win.

The Whale seems like a strong choice. It's a great play, but I'm not sure.

I mean last year it went to "Water By the Spoonful" and no one had really heard of it at the time. So who knows.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#102013 Pulitzer Prize Frontrunners?
Posted: 3/7/13 at 11:25pm

The Great God Pan got a lot of love from critics.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

After Eight
#112013 Pulitzer Prize Frontrunners?
Posted: 3/7/13 at 11:37pm

Here's how to figure it: just think of the worst shows of the year, and the winner will come from them. With that in mind, Vanya and Great God Pan have very good shots at it.

Personally, I think Vanya will get it. The Tony, too.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#122013 Pulitzer Prize Frontrunners?
Posted: 3/7/13 at 11:43pm

Who cares? A lot of plays open in a year that the critics love. But I think if you go back and read the reviews you'll see that they weren't out and out raves. I just find it boring and awful written. But I also hated 4,000 miles and Bellville seems like the same sorta "I smoke weed and take pills" kinda drama.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#132013 Pulitzer Prize Frontrunners?
Posted: 3/7/13 at 11:53pm

I hope Vanya wins. It's a beautiful achievement in play writing, but who knows what will happen? In recent years they have been seeking out plays that haven't yet played in New York.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#142013 Pulitzer Prize Frontrunners?
Posted: 3/8/13 at 12:41pm

Durang has made the short list before, so VANYA is not a bad guess. But that trend doesn't necessarily mean we can count on DEAD ACCOUNTS making it...

TRIBES, maybe? BAD JEWS?

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#152013 Pulitzer Prize Frontrunners?
Posted: 3/8/13 at 12:46pm

THE PERFORMERS!!!

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#162013 Pulitzer Prize Frontrunners?
Posted: 3/8/13 at 1:18pm

Personally WAT, any play with the line, "Whose ass do I have to fist to get a drink around here?" deserves to make the short list.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#172013 Pulitzer Prize Frontrunners?
Posted: 3/8/13 at 1:24pm

Ooohhhh...also THE ANARCHIST!!!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#182013 Pulitzer Prize Frontrunners?
Posted: 3/8/13 at 1:31pm

Tribes is great, but it opened awhile ago in Chicago, so it's been around awhile, also it was written by a Brit, I believe, so not sure it's even eligible.

If Rebeck ever gets a Pulitzer, I will donkey punch Patti Lupone.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#192013 Pulitzer Prize Frontrunners?
Posted: 3/8/13 at 1:40pm

Are Shia LaBeouf's tweets eligible?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#202013 Pulitzer Prize Frontrunners?
Posted: 3/8/13 at 1:48pm

Tribes is thoroughly British. Written by a Brit, premiered in the UK, about Brits. Wonderful play, but not eligible.

The Pulitzer committee likes to look at regional things often.

hpeabody930
#212013 Pulitzer Prize Frontrunners?
Posted: 3/8/13 at 2:21pm

I think that Disgraced has a pretty solid shot. I haven't seen the Lincoln Center production of Luck of the Irish, but I loved it when it was in Boston, and think that, too, could have a shot.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#222013 Pulitzer Prize Frontrunners?
Posted: 3/8/13 at 3:23pm

At least there is no clear front-runner this year.

Maybe First Date? Would help its chances on the B'way.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#232013 Pulitzer Prize Frontrunners?
Posted: 3/8/13 at 4:36pm

It would be brilliant to see Durang get a Pulitzer.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#242013 Pulitzer Prize Frontrunners?
Posted: 3/8/13 at 5:31pm

I would love to see him get a Pulitzer, but they're kind of humorless. The last comedy they awarded was Lost in Yonkers. And that's not really even a full-out comedy.

I wonder if they'll award anything.