Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions

Gmerchant123 Profile Photo
Gmerchant123
#1Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 1:05am

I'm just have to start out and put out Bertie Carvel for being nominated for best actor instead of supporting! I think another dumb moment of the tony awards is having NPH back for the fourth freakin time! What do you think are some of the tony comities dumbest decisions!?

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#2Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 1:07am

Cinderella as a revival. I know that this is a highly debatable topic, but I think they made the wrong decision.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 1:13am

Aren't we to assume the Matilda producers petitioned Bertie for the leading category? The nomination committee had to approve that decision, so I guess it is indeed a dumb decision on their part.

Updated On: 5/28/13 at 01:13 AM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#3Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 2:14am

The producers of MATILDA put Bertie in Lead so they could get a Male Supt. nom also. The number of noms is a bragging right, right now.
And they didn't forsee Porter's performance and local support.

gossipguy215 Profile Photo
gossipguy215
#4Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 2:29am

Like, this year?
Because I'm still in shock over the fact Dorothy Collins lost best actress. This may be a bigger insult than Raúl Esparza losing Best Actor in 2006.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#5Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 3:32am

Elena Roger not being nominated.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#6Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 3:33am

And nominating Leap of Faith over Bonnie and Clyde, Spider-Man, and Ghost.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#7Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 4:12am

Two words: Alan. Cumming.

RE: This season's MACBETH.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#8Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 4:24am

Except ALL of those shows were weak. (And yes, I saw all of them) I think the ridiculous part of Faith gettin a nom for Best Musical is that it was the ONLY nom, if it isn't superior in any other category, how can the whole be?

I still think Daniel Radcliffe got robbed of two noms for Equus and for How to Succeed. (moreso for Equus)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#9Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 4:44am

Agree with the Leap of Faith nomination, and i'll add Once winning for best scenic design over Spiderman, Ghost, Nice Work, or even Newsies (I assume that was just the sweep mentality). And two oldies-but-goodies: Avenue Q over Wicked and Billy Elliot over Next to Normal.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#10Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 4:57am

How about announcing that they were adding a new category for "Best Replacement Actor" and then weeks later announcing "Oops, nevermind. Bad Idea."

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

binau Profile Photo
binau
#11Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 6:23am

Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

#12Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 8:30am

CONTACT- winning Best Musical

Full of pre-recorded music, canned pop hits and standards music playing throughout the whole show. No book. all dance. SMH. What a mess.

Like Chita said in an interview about it ... 'Something is wrong here..."

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#13IDumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 8:57am

There will never be a bigger Tony Awards F*CKup than Idina Menzel stealing the award from Tonya Pinkins.

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#14Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 9:01am

>> the ridiculous part of Faith gettin a nom for Best Musical is that it was the ONLY nom, if it isn't superior in any other category, how can the whole be?

That baffles me, too. I also question how a show like ...Piazza can win:
Best Score
Best Lead Actress
Best Orchestrations
Best Scenic Design
Best Costumes
Best Lighting

...but lose Best Musical to Spamalot.

JRybka1611
#15Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 9:06am

Raul not getting the win for Company was a shock to me.
Ragtime not winning Best Musical
Wicked not winning over Avenue Q.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#16Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 9:54am

I'm confused by this thread - there are "Decisions" by the Committee. I don't think the "winner" is a "decision" - I think those are "results".
So, who is nominated or not nominated is a "decision" but not who won. What category people/plays are nominated also is a "decision".
And some of the "decisions" are the result of producer actions/lobbying.
But, one of the dumbest decisions was not nominating One Man,Two Guvnors in either new or revival play - I understand the producers were allegedly playing games with which category to slot the show and that may have impacted the nomination process. (But, it got nominated for score!)

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#17Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 10:05am

Into the woods winning best score over Phantom. I looooove ITW, but Phantom has one of the most iconic scores in the history of Musical Theatre.

I also agree with Elena, Wicked and Raul in Company.

And how can we forget the ridiculous special awards for the Matildas this season.

theobsessed
#18Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 10:24am

I'd have to say Aaron Tveit not being nominated for anything (I still maintain that he should've won Featured Actor for N2N)

And I'm also pretty upset the most recent GODSPELL revival wasn't nominated for anything. I mean, I could see it not winning, but it should've at least been nominated for a lot!

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#19Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 10:29am

Avenue Q over Wicked...
Billy Elliot over Next to Normal...
Into the Woods' score over Phantom's...

These are not decisions. They are results. And I'm also fine with all three.

Cinderella as a Revival...
Bertie in Lead Actor...

These were petitioned by the producers, and I see nothing wrong with the decision to agree with them. Both could go either way, but not enough to overturn the producers' wishes in my book.

Personally, I think a dumb decision was removing Critics from the voting pool.

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.
Updated On: 5/28/13 at 10:29 AM

BroadwayStar4 Profile Photo
BroadwayStar4
#20Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 10:41am

A Chorus Line revival not getting enough nominations.
Aaron Tveit not getting nominated for N2N or Catch Me
Adam Chanler-Berat not getting nominated for Peter & the Starcatcher.

rorschach37
#21Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 1:01pm

Bombshell winning Best Musical over Hit List.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#22Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 1:27pm

CONTACT- winning Best Musical

Since there is no category for ballet or dance productions, it was dropped into the most fitting category, and among the nominees, I thought it was absolutely the most deserving. I loved every second of it and watched it numerous times.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Ed_Mottershead
#23Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 1:57pm

Going WAY back, but:

Streetcar losing to Mr. Roberts for Best Play;
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof losing to Desperate Hours for Best Play;
Ethel Merman (Gypsy) losing to Mary Martin (Sound of Music);
Jason Robards (Moon for the Misbegotten)losing to Michael What's-His-Name (Find Your Way Home); and the list goes on and on.

BroadwayEd

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#24Dumbest Tony Awards Decisions
Posted: 5/28/13 at 2:01pm

I am over Billy Elliot beating the far superior Next to Normal in 2009, but I will never forgive the committee for not granting the current Macbeth a single fvcking nomination.

I know you. I know you. I know you.