pixeltracker

Pippin Revival Cast Recording First Listen EW- Page 5

Pippin Revival Cast Recording First Listen EW

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#100Pippin Revival Cast Recording First Listen EW
Posted: 6/1/13 at 4:22am

As another poster said: Practically every night, Andrea Martin stops the show -- literally. A standing ovation, mid-show.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but obviously you are in the vast minority.

While I know not everyone likes Patina, I think she is wonderful in the role. I have no issue with the Leading Player as a female as the sex of the character has absolutely no bearing on the role or story.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

broadway guy
#101Pippin Revival Cast Recording First Listen EW
Posted: 6/1/13 at 8:11am

"Well I don't think she's very good"

"And whoever that girl is who sings Magic To Do outta get the ole Vaudeville hook!"

http://youtu.be/CEgh8TUlpQc

Updated On: 6/1/13 at 08:11 AM

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#102Pippin Revival Cast Recording First Listen EW
Posted: 6/1/13 at 10:19am

Oh hey lovebwy,

Pippin Revival Cast Recording First Listen EW

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Inigomontoya
#103Pippin Revival Cast Recording First Listen EW
Posted: 6/1/13 at 11:09am

I really love this recording, but is it just me or is the tempo a little bit slower on some of the songs? I remember that the vamp of "Magic to do" was somewhat faster...

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#104Pippin Revival Cast Recording First Listen EW
Posted: 6/1/13 at 12:42pm

Easy does it, gang. Lovebwy is not the only one who feels Patina's and Andrea's performances are inferior to Ben Vereen's and Irene Ryan's. I saw both productions and I agree with lovebwy. I found Andrea Martin and Patina Miller both incredibly mannered and self-congratulatory. For me the shining lights onstage in the revival were Matthew James Thomas and Rachel Bay Jones. Reasonable people can disagree.

FindingNamo
#105Pippin Revival Cast Recording First Listen EW
Posted: 6/1/13 at 1:01pm

You just demonstrated how reasonable people can disagree reasonably. Big diff.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#106Pippin Revival Cast Recording First Listen EW
Posted: 6/1/13 at 1:09pm

I have yet to see the production, but I really love what Andrea Martin does with No Time at All. She certainly sells the song and makes it pretty moving as well.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#107Pippin Revival Cast Recording First Listen EW
Posted: 6/1/13 at 3:05pm

I think lovebwy should actually see the production before critiquing it/comparing it to the original. Listening to the Cast Recording is hardly an indicator of how great Martin and Miller truly are.

mpd4165
binau Profile Photo
binau
#109Pippin Revival Cast Recording First Listen EW
Posted: 6/1/13 at 7:34pm

I feel like "Listening to the Cast Recording is hardly an indicator of how great Martin and Miller truly are" is a concerning statement because what is the point of cast recordings if they are "hardly an indicator" of how great a performance is?

Maybe claiming that it "is not a full indication" would be more appropriate, but as the recording stands it should be some kind of indication because it is her recorded performance!

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

FindingNamo
#110Pippin Revival Cast Recording First Listen EW
Posted: 6/1/13 at 9:04pm

Listening to a cast recording is a lot like watching a movie with the projector bulb turned off.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

greengirl11 Profile Photo
greengirl11
#111Pippin Revival Cast Recording First Listen EW
Posted: 6/3/13 at 5:42pm

I love it-my favourites are Corner of the Sky and Magic to Do.

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#112Pippin Revival Cast Recording First Listen EW
Posted: 6/4/13 at 1:02am

Anyone get it yet? Mine is downloading now.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#113Pippin Revival Cast Recording First Listen EW
Posted: 6/4/13 at 1:06am

I got it! It's brilliant.

I will admit that the sing-a-long added songs are a little strange and not really needed..but I'm not complaining!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#114Pippin Revival Cast Recording First Listen EW
Posted: 6/4/13 at 6:12am

Got it upon my waking. Yum.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#115Pippin Revival Cast Recording First Listen EW
Posted: 6/4/13 at 6:26am

Got mine! Anyone notice the absence of a lanuage warning? (Pippin says sh!t in On the Right Track.) Or does that only come with excessive cursing? (Avenue Q, Spring Awakening... Though I don't think Next To Normal had one and the lanuage is worse...)

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#116Pippin Revival Cast Recording First Listen EW
Posted: 6/4/13 at 7:12am

I thought the language warning label was a self regulatory thing and not necessarily mandatory. They started using it after Tipper Gore got on the "bad language and themes in music" crusade with the government. Usually, on most CDs I've come across, one instance of "sh!t" doesn't warrant a warning label. ("Follies" has one also, but doesn't have a warning). One instance of "the F word" usually gets a warning label.

And let's face it. The warning labels are/were mostly for pop music (and rap music) aimed at "the children". I think the record labels sometimes let it slide with other genres

Anyway, I'm anxiously waiting for my per-order of the physical CD from Ghostlight, so I guess I'll have to keep listening to the version on the EW website.

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#117Pippin Revival Cast Recording First Listen EW
Posted: 6/4/13 at 8:04am

Hearing it this morning for the very time left a lump in my throat. I actually became rather emotional, and the utter joy I felt at recalling No Time at All, as well as the familiarity of hearing Pippin for the past 40 years has left me extremely happy.

wickedfan11 Profile Photo
wickedfan11
#118Pippin Revival Cast Recording First Listen EW
Posted: 6/4/13 at 10:28am

Downloading it on my phone now. Unfortunately, the digital booklet won't download from iTunes unless I am using my computer (which is broken), but I am still extremely excited to listen.

gchris11
#119Pippin Revival Cast Recording First Listen EW
Posted: 6/4/13 at 11:05am

Got it. And got my ticket for tonight!!!!

HoldThatThought Profile Photo
HoldThatThought
#120Pippin Revival Cast Recording First Listen EW
Posted: 6/4/13 at 11:09am

Just downloaded it and enjoying it now!

mpd4165
#121Pippin Revival Cast Recording First Listen EW
Posted: 6/4/13 at 12:03pm

Wickedfan11-is there a way to get it? I did the same thing (and when I bought Carrie) and would like it, especially since it's supposed to be a part of the download.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#122Pippin Revival Cast Recording First Listen EW
Posted: 6/5/13 at 12:22pm

Sort of "behind the scenes" of the recording... plus production clips.
Newish Video

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#123Pippin Revival Cast Recording First Listen EW
Posted: 6/5/13 at 12:23pm

Love how Diane Paulus lent her vocals in the NO TIME AT ALL choir. Pippin Revival Cast Recording First Listen EW

rclocalz Profile Photo
rclocalz
#124Pippin Revival Cast Recording First Listen EW
Posted: 6/5/13 at 12:24pm

Hope you guys like the new video! It was a fun one to put together.
http://youtu.be/MAHDP6PRW7U

http://www.glamsmash.com/ - Glamsmash Productions, a video production company in the heart of New York City

Videos