Why do you want autographs?

#1Why do you want autographs?
Posted: 7/18/13 at 4:43pm

I've seen people stand and wait for an hour or more to get a quick scrawl on a piece of paper. What's the point? Why do you want someone's autograph?

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#2Why do you want autographs?
Posted: 7/18/13 at 4:47pm

If I enjoy the performance, I like to commemorate it with a chance to tell the actor/actress they were great. Usually, that ends in an autograph. That's why I get them. Then, I frame them if I have the money to do so. It makes a nice sentimental keepsake.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Why do you want autographs?
Posted: 7/18/13 at 4:49pm

I'm with you Joe, my memory of the show works just fine

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#3Why do you want autographs?
Posted: 7/18/13 at 4:51pm

I actually honestly don't care much for autographs. I go to the stage-door because I enjoy speaking to the performer after the performance and telling them I appreciate them, and maybe getting a picture with them too if possible. I do the autograph thing because the actors usually go down the line signing autographs, and if I don't have my playbill out they might skip by me, which has happened on more than one occasion.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#4Why do you want autographs?
Posted: 7/18/13 at 4:51pm

On the flipside, if I enjoy the performance, I like to commemorate it by applauding the show (that's how I tell the actors they were great), then going out and discussing it with friends. If its a particularly good show, I save the program as the only keepsake.

N2N Nate. Profile Photo
N2N Nate.
#5Why do you want autographs?
Posted: 7/18/13 at 4:53pm

An actual signature from your favorite Broadway star can be very special. Personally, I probably wouldn't stand in line for more than 5 minutes to get a sig, but I definitely see why people would. Especially for the tourists who only come to the city every 2 or 3 years.

So Lauren Bacall me, anything goes! *wink*
Updated On: 7/18/13 at 04:53 PM

FindingNamo
#6Why do you want autographs?
Posted: 7/18/13 at 4:58pm

I brought my nieces to Hairspray (their first Broadway show) the Monday before it opened. That day, the CD became available in the theater lobby. I stood with my nieces at the stage door, and as luck would have it, the cast had mostly not yet seen the cd. I got all of them to sign it and it's a memento of a really fun weekend. I feel confident that I did absolutely no harm to the world in doing this.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

edyw32 Profile Photo
edyw32
#7Why do you want autographs?
Posted: 7/18/13 at 5:03pm

I don't usually care about autographs but after I saw Judy Kuhn's brilliant Fosca in Passion I waited after in the lobby of CSC and she graciously signed my Playbill even asking how to correctly spell my name. I had planned my trip (from Australia) around seeing her in the show and told her so. She was chuffed. What a lovely lady she was. I'm glad I asked and may even get it framed.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#8Why do you want autographs?
Posted: 7/18/13 at 5:05pm

It's as simple as this:

(a) If you want to get an autograph. Do so. It's a free country.

(b) If you don't want to get one. Don't. It's a free country.

But don't call the other wrong for their personal choice.

See how that works?

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#9Why do you want autographs?
Posted: 7/18/13 at 5:11pm

To sell, duh. :-P

Kidding.

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#10Why do you want autographs?
Posted: 7/18/13 at 5:11pm

To sell, duh. :-P

Kidding.

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#11Why do you want autographs?
Posted: 7/18/13 at 5:17pm

Also, now that I write for BroadwayWorld, an autograph can be a fun way to commemorate an interview that an artist and I did and both enjoyed.

I also do not wait for an hour or longer. I think the longest I ever waited was for Stephanie J. Block after WICKED in 2005 in Houston (30-45 minutes), and that was so she could get the green paint off.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#12Why do you want autographs?
Posted: 7/18/13 at 5:17pm

"But don't call the other wrong for their personal choice."

So glad no one has done that yet in this thread!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#13Why do you want autographs?
Posted: 7/18/13 at 5:19pm

No one said it was wrong; no suggested they shouldn't. Some one simply asked why.

Sheesh.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

sondheim94 Profile Photo
sondheim94
#14Why do you want autographs?
Posted: 7/18/13 at 5:53pm

I like to get autographs after a show or performer I particularly liked because it makes a nice memento of the show. It adds to the memories.

howardbf Profile Photo
howardbf
#15Why do you want autographs?
Posted: 7/18/13 at 6:01pm

I'll sign anything you give me.

KathyNYC2
#16Why do you want autographs?
Posted: 7/18/13 at 6:03pm

I don't really care about autographs per se. But it does give you a few moments to chat with the celeb, which you might not have otherwise..which is nice and the reason I might wait for one.

However, if I had a choice, I would pick a photo over an autograph.

iluvtheatertrash
#17Why do you want autographs?
Posted: 7/18/13 at 6:06pm

I don't care very much about the signature. For me, it's the thrill of meeting the performer. I've met some amazing people, and have some great stories. Almost 45 minutes on the sidewalk talking to Anne Heche after PROOF. Nathan Lane called me adorable once and pinched my cheek. Julianne Moore kissed me on the cheek. And lots more... That's why I wait. :)

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

#18Why do you want autographs?
Posted: 7/18/13 at 6:50pm

I wasn't belittling anyone- I am curious. I totally get the thrill of meeting a performer you like- I just have never understood the signature- is it proof you met them? Is it to sell? What is it?

And I should add- buying "autographed" stuff on e-bay an the like really baffles me.

Number of times I call anyone wrong for doing so: 0

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#19Why do you want autographs?
Posted: 7/18/13 at 7:43pm

I have a window card from every show I've seen, I think it makes it slightly more special to have them signed by the cast. As an added plus sometimes lesser known cast members become more famous later (Raul Esparza in Rocky Horror, Aaron Tveit in the tour of Rent) which is fun to mention.

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

WickedRENTAwakening Profile Photo
WickedRENTAwakening
#20Why do you want autographs?
Posted: 7/18/13 at 8:11pm

For me the stage door experience is just as enjoyable as the show and if that statement angers you, your either old or high on Sondheim. It is one of the many advantages of live theater vs. film. Live Theatre gives you have the opportunity to meet the cast after a performance. It is a personal networking opportunity for performers as well. The way the actors interact influences in some way which performers I choose to support and follow onto there next projects. I feel "stagedooring" is what has keep celebrity obsessed youth interested in theatre.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#21Why do you want autographs?
Posted: 7/18/13 at 8:44pm

"your either old or high on Sondheim. "

It's you're, not your.

Yep, old, but not a Sondheim fan.

Doesn't bother me. Whatever floats your boat.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#22Why do you want autographs?
Posted: 7/18/13 at 8:54pm

"I like to commemorate it with a chance to tell the actor/actress they were great. Usually, that ends in an autograph."

I'm sorry, but in all of my years as a star dresser, I have NEVER seen anyone who compliments a performer who doesn't expect the autograph.

To say that it 'usually end in an autograph' is a joke. Never have I ever seen any performer just offer up their autograph.

That sounds like the most egotistical thing ever.

'Oh, thanks so much for your compliment! Would you like my autograph?'

You stand there and compliment them and then ask them to sign something. Don't lie about it.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

#23Why do you want autographs?
Posted: 7/18/13 at 9:30pm

No one's pro-stagedooring comments anger me but I am old AND Stephen Sondheim.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#24Why do you want autographs?
Posted: 7/18/13 at 10:07pm

"For me the stage door experience is just as enjoyable as the show and if that statement angers you, your either old or high on Sondheim."

From your post, you're either young or high on Elmer's glue.

Videos