Harmony To Broadway?

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#1Harmony To Broadway?
Posted: 9/19/13 at 9:34am

Barry Manilow's show "Harmony" opened in Atlanta and received pretty good reviews. I believe the show will also go to California but wondering if it will make it to Broadway if it continues to get good reviews.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#2Harmony To Broadway?
Posted: 9/19/13 at 9:39am

Yes, it'll be at the Ahmanson in LA next spring: http://www.centertheatregroup.org/tickets/2014/Harmony/

Let's hope for Broadway!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#2Harmony To Broadway?
Posted: 9/19/13 at 10:05am

Hope it does make it because a guy who went to HS with my daughters is in the ensemble.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#3Harmony To Broadway?
Posted: 9/19/13 at 12:16pm

I love the part of the score I've heard. Would love to see it transfer.

....but the world goes 'round

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#4Harmony To Broadway?
Posted: 9/19/13 at 12:18pm

I'd expect it to arrive in the Fall of 2014.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#5Harmony To Broadway?
Posted: 9/19/13 at 12:28pm

Manilow will be put into the same category as Wildhorn - a pop composer

The results will be the same - horrible reviews

Poster Emeritus

timote316
#6Harmony To Broadway?
Posted: 9/19/13 at 10:05pm

Manilow will be put into the same category as Wildhorn - a pop composer

The results will be the same - horrible reviews

Right, I forgot that pop composers are uniformly bad and get unanimous pans. Cyndi Lauper's debut score was a turd that sank her show.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#7Harmony To Broadway?
Posted: 9/19/13 at 10:13pm

Remember how Elton John was dismissed as a pop composer, and Billy Elliot closed in a week?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#8Harmony To Broadway?
Posted: 9/19/13 at 10:18pm

Remember how Elton John was dismissed as a pop composer, and AIDA closed in a week?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

broadwaybabytn Profile Photo
broadwaybabytn
#9Harmony To Broadway?
Posted: 9/19/13 at 11:52pm

Remember how Elton John was dismissed as a pop composer, and THE LION KING closed in a week?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#10Harmony To Broadway?
Posted: 9/20/13 at 1:06am

There is a big difference between Manilow and Elton John

I still say the reviews will not be good. We shall see

Poster Emeritus

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#11Harmony To Broadway?
Posted: 9/20/13 at 1:06am

Remember how Elton John was dismissed as a pop composer, and LESTAT...oh never mind...

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#12Harmony To Broadway?
Posted: 9/20/13 at 2:19am

Barry Manilow is a registered trademark of Hastings, Clayton & Tucker, Inc. All rights reserved. But is Elton John?

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#13Harmony To Broadway?
Posted: 9/20/13 at 11:50am

I guess the show Sting is writing the music for doesn't have a chance either - lol

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#14Harmony To Broadway?
Posted: 9/20/13 at 11:51am

Enjolras77 -Can't win them all - lol

Updated On: 9/20/13 at 11:51 AM

Famebroadway2 Profile Photo
Famebroadway2
#15Harmony To Broadway?
Posted: 9/20/13 at 1:22pm

Years ago, wasn't Harmony in rehearsals for a Broadway bow and then canceled in rehearsals right as the cast was about to leave for the out of town tryout? I distinctly remember its out of town tryout was supposed to be at the Forrest in Philadelphia and they had already loaded the set in when the whole thing tanked. Does anyone else remember this?

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#16Harmony To Broadway?
Posted: 9/21/13 at 9:10am

^ Riedel refers to it in his column. The producer misled them as to the status of having the money raised, and finally tearfully confessed that things were not where they should be financially. Manilow was livid, and he and Sussman were in arbitration hearings for years getting the rights back from this guy. The reason it's moving forward is they got them back.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#17Harmony To Broadway?
Posted: 9/21/13 at 10:21am

I also remember they even had the marquee for it up at the theater.

And I seem to recall that there was another show about the Comedian Harmonists improbably landing on Broadway in the same season as Harmony was slated to.

....but the world goes 'round

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#18Harmony To Broadway?
Posted: 9/21/13 at 10:58am

Band in Berlin: http://www.playbillvault.com/Show/Detail/6711/Band-in-Berlin

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#19Harmony To Broadway?
Posted: 9/21/13 at 2:15pm

There's another musical about them as well that was big in Germany -- Veronika, der Lenz ist da - Die Comedian Harmonists, which opened at the Komödie in Berlin in December 1997 following the international success of the then-recent film about them. When the show closed, the original six actors formed a tribute group that recreated the repertoire called the Berlin Comedian Harmonists.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

shomeika Profile Photo
shomeika
#20Harmony To Broadway?
Posted: 10/8/13 at 1:37pm

I saw the show here in Atlanta a few days after it opened; and went back a few days ago to see it again. It's really quite good.

Clint. Atlanta,GA

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#21Harmony To Broadway?
Posted: 10/8/13 at 1:59pm

shomeika - awesome, glad you liked it. The guy who is in the ensemble from my daughter's HS is named Charles Osborne.