Good restaurant near Phantom

RW3
#1Good restaurant near Phantom
Posted: 10/28/13 at 10:49pm

I will be in NYC from Nov 3-5 with my journalism class and I am trying to find a restaurant to go before we see Phantom. The night before we are going to an Italian restaurant in Little Italy. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks!!!

pennydreadful Profile Photo
pennydreadful
#2Good restaurant near Phantom
Posted: 10/29/13 at 12:34am

How many people are in your group? Shake Shack is literally right there by the Majestic, but finding seats is very hard. What I usually do is go to Chelsea Market (big indoor food market with lots of offerings), and then just take the E train up a few stops. If you wanna stay in the Theater District, there's John's Pizzeria, which is in an old church, or Junior's: http://www.yelp.com/biz/johns-pizzeria-new-york-2

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#2Good restaurant near Phantom
Posted: 10/29/13 at 1:25am

Junior's is great but hard for large groups. I'd check menupages.com and look for a place that takes reservations. Angus McIndoe is right there and takes reservations - as does Sardi's. Both are a little pricier than Junior's but as long as you don't order a steak or something you should be okay.

http://www.angusmcindoe.com/
www.sardis.com

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".
Updated On: 10/29/13 at 01:25 AM

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#3Good restaurant near Phantom
Posted: 10/29/13 at 9:52am

Seconding the John's Pizzeria recommendation -- my dad and I ate there before a show once, and loved it. I don't get to NYC very often, but I'm hoping to get to eat there again sometime! Good restaurant near Phantom Have a fun trip, RW3.

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#4Good restaurant near Phantom
Posted: 10/29/13 at 10:52am

Skip Sardi's. It is ridiculously awful and overpriced. John's is great. Though if you want to deviate from Italian, maybe try Bobby Van's Grill across Times Square on 45th. Very accommodating and good food. Bond 45 is good too if you want to do Italian again.

Emmaloucbway
#5Good restaurant near Phantom
Posted: 10/29/13 at 11:13am

Kodama is great if you love sushi, and it's on 45th and 8th (a block away from the Majestic).

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#6Good restaurant near Phantom
Posted: 10/29/13 at 11:31am

Angus' is literally right across the street and it is usually reallllly good. It's a steak house. Not cheap, not overpriced, but reasonable for the quality... AND you get to gaze at the Majestic while you eat Good restaurant near Phantom

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

RW3
#7Good restaurant near Phantom
Posted: 10/29/13 at 12:35pm

Thanks guys for the recommendations!!!!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#8Good restaurant near Phantom
Posted: 10/29/13 at 7:08pm

There is a McDonalds right around the corner.

musicman_bwayfan
#9Good restaurant near Phantom
Posted: 10/29/13 at 7:20pm

There's a great little hole in the wall Italian restaurant that most people probably miss when they walk by there. It's on 8th avenue between 45th and 46th street on the east side of the street called Daniela's. If you have a group, you may want to pop by ahead of time and get a business card because, and I'm not sure if it is a year round thing, on the back, they have a VIP customer 10% off coupon.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#10Good restaurant near Phantom
Posted: 10/29/13 at 8:02pm

Marseille, Becco, Toloache, Blue Fin, Joe Allen

Updated On: 10/29/13 at 08:02 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#11Good restaurant near Phantom
Posted: 10/29/13 at 8:13pm

Only been to MARSEILLE but I can tell you it is very good and prices are not to bad.

Poster Emeritus

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#12Good restaurant near Phantom
Posted: 10/29/13 at 9:58pm

How large is the group?

If Thai suits your fancy, Qi on 8th between 42nd and 43rd is fantastic.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#13Good restaurant near Phantom
Posted: 10/29/13 at 10:24pm

Osteria Al Doge is a good choice. It is on the same block as the Belasco

Poster Emeritus

gavyj Profile Photo
gavyj
#14Good restaurant near Phantom
Posted: 10/29/13 at 10:31pm

For the love of good food, avoid John's. It is pretty awful.

RW3
#15Good restaurant near Phantom
Posted: 10/29/13 at 10:54pm

The group is about 18 people

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#16Good restaurant near Phantom
Posted: 10/30/13 at 12:12am

If you have a group of 18, take a subway or taxis or anything and run away from midtown and go to eat to any other neighborhood. Finding a table in that area is going to be hell.
In Little Italy, I recommend La Dolce Vita on Mulberry Street or Novella.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

KathyNYC2
#17Good restaurant near Phantom
Posted: 10/30/13 at 2:47am

I do like Thalia's on 50th Street (6 blocks)..it's pretty big and have a varied menu.

But my first choice would have been Kodama's (as already noted above). Certainly if you like Sushi, go there. I happen not to be a huge Sushi fan but they also have the best chicken/beef/salmon Teriyaki around. And it's a block away so it's less of a distance to deal with possible weather issues. They both take reservations.

I was assuming that if you were going to Little Italy the night before, you wanted something different).

Updated On: 10/30/13 at 02:47 AM

bwayobsessed
#18Good restaurant near Phantom
Posted: 10/30/13 at 7:09am

I too vote for John's

Hank
#19Good restaurant near Phantom
Posted: 10/30/13 at 11:20am

New York is known for it's pizza, and John's is an opportunity to sample of the better ones, and it's right across the street.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#20Good restaurant near Phantom
Posted: 10/30/13 at 3:53pm

How many people are you talking about? Carmine's is great and inexpensive for groups, but I hate to suggest that since you're doing Italian the night before. Angus will reserve the whole top floor if you're a fairly large group, and the food and atmosphere are great.
Whatever you do avoid that Guy's American place like the plague, even though they court groups.

broadway_show_fan Profile Photo
broadway_show_fan
#21Good restaurant near Phantom
Posted: 10/30/13 at 5:42pm

My new favorite restaurant is Bann, on the south side of 50th between 8th and 9th, in the Worldwide Plaza just past New World Stages.

• The cuisine: Korean Barbeque! It's Asian without necessarily being sushi, with flavorful dishes for everyone - noodles, rice, meats, vegetable, etc.
• It's just close enough to the theaters that it's easy to walk to the theater after dinner and just far enough away that you aren't dealing with a huge crowd there.
• You can do Korean Barbeque (such as bulgogi - marinated skirt steak, shrimp, vegetables, chicken, etc.) where you can actually grill it at the table! Their tables have grills built in to the middle. It's a novel, fun, exciting thing to do, and from my experience the more the merrier. They give you chopsticks but you can always ask for silverware - my friends almost always use the silverware! If you want, you can get the barbeque items cooked for you and then you and your group can just focus on dining, but the grilling is really fun.
• They take reservations! I've seen tons of big groups, and they can accommodate a lot of people pretty easily.

bannrestaurant.com

pennydreadful Profile Photo
pennydreadful
#22Good restaurant near Phantom
Posted: 10/30/13 at 5:43pm

You know, if all else fails, I've taken big groups of people to the Grand Central Station food court. There are a lot of choices, it's cheap, and finding seating usually isn't a problem, unless you all insist on sitting together. Then you can do the Whispering Arch thing after: http://www.sonicwonders.org/?p=426 And GCS is beautiful!

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#23Good restaurant near Phantom
Posted: 10/31/13 at 4:49pm

I'm surprised nobody recommended Tony Di Napoli's on 43 between Broadway and 6th . GReat for groups. Family style Italian. Similar to Carmine's but in my opinion better and easier to get in cause its less know. For a large group reserve ahead.

BwayGeek2 Profile Photo
BwayGeek2
#24Good restaurant near Phantom
Posted: 10/31/13 at 5:34pm

Agreed, Tony Di Napoli's is great. Definitely make reservations for a group that size, but I've never seen it too crowded.