pixeltracker

"Les Miserbales" Previews- Page 8

"Les Miserbales" Previews

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#175Les Miserables
Posted: 3/11/14 at 9:12am

And for anyone who's interested, the show started at exactly 8:00 and ended at exactly 11:00, after the (very long) bows and all.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#176Les Miserables
Posted: 3/11/14 at 11:43am

Does Ramin sing with his own natural voice, or does he do the "Valjean Voice?"

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#177Les Miserables
Posted: 3/11/14 at 11:53am

Having heard Karimloo speak in an interview for the first time, he definitely uses a different voice as Valjean. His natural speech sounded like a faux-Irish accent of sorts, while his Valjean singing/speaking sounded very North American.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Mattbrain
#178Les Miserables
Posted: 3/11/14 at 11:58am

"His natural speech sounded like a faux-Irish accent of sorts"

It's an Iranian accent.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#179Les Miserables
Posted: 3/11/14 at 12:03pm

Ramin's accent sounds like no Iranian/Persian accent I've ever heard.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 3/11/14 at 12:03 PM

RW3
#180Les Miserables
Posted: 3/11/14 at 12:13pm

Well, remember he did grow up in Canada.

getatme
#181Les Miserables
Posted: 3/11/14 at 12:19pm

Ramin's accent in the show is inconsistent at best. At times he's doing an American accent, but frequently he'll slip into a more proper light British accent.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#182Les Miserables
Posted: 3/11/14 at 12:45pm

Whatever he does, I'm just happy he isn't doing the affected voice Colm Wilkinson and Gary Morris both used, which has been often-imitated since.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#183Les Miserables
Posted: 3/11/14 at 1:29pm

I saw Aaron Walpole's Broadway debut last night as Jean Valjean. I really enjoyed his performance, and would be completely satisfied if he was the main Valjean. The show itself has good and bad aspects. The set and lighting are big and bright, and the music was gorgeous. However, the staging is completely uninspired, and many performances are over-acted and some people are just plain miscast. My favorite performances, which were surprising to me, were Samantha Hill as Cossette and Josh Colley as Gavroche. Josh has a longgg career ahead of him, he was incredible!

The show started exactly at 8, and ended at 10:55. There is a lot they COULD cut, but I doubt they will. For example, Dog Eats Dog, Beggars at the Feast, and Drink With Me are just entirely too long and unnecessary, in my opinion.

I hope they use the preview period to fine tune not only the staging, but also the performances. A lot of things, in my opinion, need to be looked at beat by beat, instead of the whole picture.

I overall really enjoyed the show, and am looking forward to returning to see Ramin.

brdway411
#184Les Miserables
Posted: 3/11/14 at 4:42pm

Any idea if Ramin will be in tomorrow?

Alan Henry Profile Photo
Alan Henry
#185Les Miserables
Posted: 3/11/14 at 4:45pm

I just confirmed Aaron is going on tonight.

And Ramin has lived all over the world, and his natural accent has been influenced by all of the locations he has lived.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#186Les Miserables
Posted: 3/11/14 at 4:45pm

I read Aaron is on tonight. I hope Ramin gets back soon.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#187Les Miserables
Posted: 3/11/14 at 4:51pm

https://twitter.com/aaronwalpole/status/443459638453760000

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#188Les Miserables
Posted: 3/11/14 at 4:52pm

VotePeron, this isn't Aaron Walpole's Broadway debut; he was in JCS in 2012

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#189Les Miserables
Posted: 3/11/14 at 5:00pm

Wow a lot of us were there last night! Interesting Aaron is going on again.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#190Les Miserables
Posted: 3/11/14 at 5:23pm

The posters on here who are referencing the old faithful staging i.e. the turntable.

Remember this was criticized heavily in the last revival from Ben Brantley, so you can't have it both ways on this.

PapaGe Profile Photo
PapaGe
#191Les Miserables
Posted: 3/11/14 at 5:39pm

Yesterday I bought tickets for today and was told at the box office that Ramin's absence yesterday was "scheduled" and that he was due to be in today. Very disappointing to hear that he'll be out today as well.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#192Les Miserables
Posted: 3/11/14 at 9:48pm

Not going to lie, I'm seeing the show tomorrow night and if he's not in - "scheduled" or otherwise - I'm out at intermission.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

LizzieCurry
#193Les Miserables
Posted: 3/11/14 at 10:05pm

Good lord, he's a main character, but it's not like it's The Jean Valjean Show. There are other people in it.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#194Les Miserables
Posted: 3/11/14 at 10:07pm

AND he's not that great anyway

Mattbrain
#195Les Miserables
Posted: 3/11/14 at 10:08pm

*Gasp* Bwayphreak saw a production he's sworn up and down is underwhelming….and found it underwhelming?! What a shock! What an absolute shock!

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#196Les Miserables
Posted: 3/11/14 at 10:15pm

"There is a lot they COULD cut, but I doubt they will. For example, Dog Eats Dog, Beggars at the Feast, and Drink With Me are just entirely too long and unnecessary, in my opinion."

I CANNOT stand Drink with Me and Dog Eats Dog. I kind of liked Beggars at the Feast, I felt like it was the Thenardier's last hurrah.

LizzieCurry
#197Les Miserables
Posted: 3/11/14 at 10:15pm

P.S. Everythingtaboo, can I have your ticket if you walk out?

Mattbrain
#198Les Miserables
Posted: 3/11/14 at 10:31pm

"There is a lot they COULD cut, but I doubt they will. For example, Dog Eats Dog, Beggars at the Feast, and Drink With Me are just entirely too long and unnecessary, in my opinion."

Gee, after almost 30 years, you'd think the creators would have taken the hint by now.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#199Les Miserables
Posted: 3/11/14 at 10:37pm

"Gee, after almost 30 years, you'd think the creators would have taken the hint by now."

They did for the movie, but that was because of the reaction shots giving us plenty of information!