Bad Theater Behavior

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#450Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 5/31/16 at 2:27pm

"And don't even get me started on the people who bring their babies."

Oh, there was definitely at least one crying baby as well. Personally, I don't know why you'd want to bring your infant to any theatre, let alone a outdoor one on a hot day. The people in front of me also had a few young kids- definitely no older than preteen. They were actually fairly well-behaved, but it must have been a little uncomfortable, since this production of Taming of the Shrew doesn't really shrink from the aggressive nature of Petruchio's abuse. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

MVintheheartland
#451Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 6/1/16 at 8:14am

I recently saw "School of Rock", which was disappointing as the understudy was on (he is way too old to be playing the role). There was a group of about 6 teen girls and 3 adult women (probably moms) who arrived at 7:55 for a 7:30 curtain, and clambered over us (we were sitting on the aisle).

Of course, at intermission, they all had to get up (at different times of course) and go back and forth.

By the second act, one young lady had to get up and leave several times, and of course, some of her girlfriends had to follow ("to help"Bad Theater Behavior, Then a mom would get up and climb over us to check on the girls.

It turns out that the one young lady had the stomach flu and was apparently throwing up in the bathroom, and my friend overheard them talking that they thought she was feeling well enough to go to the show.

For pete's sake, if you are sick, STAY HOME AND OUT OF THE DAMN THEATER. AND CHECK YOUR TICKET FOR CURTAIN TIME.

gmhots
#452Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 6/1/16 at 10:35am

When I went to Fiddler last week, some guy in the first row put his Playbill on the stage during intermission and left it there when the show started. When Danny Burstein walked past in the first song of Act 2, he kicked the Playbill off the stage with vehemence. It was great.

ChiTheaterFan
#453Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 6/1/16 at 11:32am

I had some people behind me in the mezzanine at bright star a few weeks ago that so annoying. They had evidently heard there was some plot twist and decided it was their mission to figure out what it was. The woman kept asking her husband what was going on (because it's evidently a terribly complicated plot) and the husband had these crazy theories about how things were connected.  Putting these in spoilers just in case, but neither of them is actually true. 

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

First, during the Asheville scene he decided that Margo and Alice were the same person. Evidently he thought it was some kind of parallel universe. 

Then, in one of the scenes with Darryl in the second act he said "oh I bet Darryl is her son."  The wife was like "oh you're GOOD. You're soooo good."  

They were genuinely surprised at the actual reveal and couldn't believe they were wrong. 

Although I was annoyed I found it kind of amusing since I had seen the show already but I felt bad for those around me. My friend had never seen it before but fortunately she said she couldn't hear them.  (I have no idea how but I am glad.) I shushed them a couple of times but it did no good and I was too far away to actually say anything. 

And at Hamilton a few weeks ago, there were some OBNOXIOUS people in standing room. (I was in the very rear orchestra.). They were drunk and were acting like it was a party, laughing and goofing around. Then they sang along with some of the songs. I complained to the usher at intermission and he did nothing. 

I do find that I have fewer of these experiences sitting closer to the stage. Sure, there are incidents every once in awhile in the orchestra but I feel like EVERY time I'm in the mezzanine someone is chattering away. Maybe because there is more separation from the actors on stage?  

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#454Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 6/1/16 at 11:36am

ChiTheaterFan said: "I do find that I have fewer of these experiences sitting closer to the stage. Sure, there are incidents every once in awhile in the orchestra but I feel like EVERY time I'm in the mezzanine someone is chattering away. Maybe because there is more separation from the actors on stage?  "

I definitely think this is a major part of it. I had the worst experience at Les Miz up there during previews of the current revival, and had chalked it up to tourists being tourists and/or people being so familiar with the show that they just wanted to talk about it during the show. However, I've since seen the show only from the orchestra, and there were never problems down there. I think part of that is also that (at the Imperial, at least), it's much easier for the ushers to reach an offender than in the mezz.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

ArtMan
#455Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 6/1/16 at 11:59am

When I was at The Color Purple on May 21 (evening performance) at intermission, while walking to the bathroom I overheard a 40 something woman loudly telling a 70 plus woman that she was going to kick her ass, among other things.  The 40 something woman was stating that the older woman touched her.  Nobody was doing anything other than watching this woman berate a senior citizen.  I went and found an usher, who got security and they kicked out the 40 something woman and her friend. The usher told me the 40 something woman was texting during the show and the older woman tapped her on the arm to ask her to stop.  However, they didn't kick her out for the texting.  It was for the physical threats.  I am happy to say that for me, I had no issues with people with cell phones during the show.  A miracle!!

Updated On: 6/1/16 at 11:59 AM

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#456Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 6/1/16 at 12:28pm

^ That's awful. Glad something was done.

I know this isn't as bad as what others have said here, but I don't understand why people need to take their shoes off in the theater. A couple of people did it when we were in the front row at God of Carnage a few years ago. And some woman did it at Tuck Everlasting when I saw it. She announced she was going to do it like she always does when she goes to the theater as well. I guess with the way you sit in the theater, I see no purpose. Like if there were foot rests or you were supposed to be relaxed on a couch, I could see it. 

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

MVintheheartland
#457Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 6/1/16 at 6:21pm

PT Thespian said:

"BTW. I'm guessing you must have seen Jonathan Wagner as Dewey since he is the primary understudy/alternate. 
It's interesting you found him way too old for the role since he's only three years older than Jack Black was when he did the role and two years older than Alex is. 
Merrit David Janes, the second understudy, is older though. Maybe you saw him?
How long ago did you see it? Alex hasn't missed an evening show in quite awhile. "

We saw the show April 8, a Friday night. It was Merrit David Janes. The announcement that Alex was out was made right before the show started, there was no program insert. I'm guessing he came down with something nasty right before curtain time. Makes me think there was a stomach virus going through Broadway that weekend. I tried to see "She Loves Me" but heard Laura Benati was out. Went to see "On Your Feet" and the understudy was on for actress playing Gloria Estefan, However, did get to see "Waitress" and "Shuffle Along" with all the principals in good health.

Updated On: 6/1/16 at 06:21 PM

slumdogdelaware Profile Photo
slumdogdelaware
#458Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 6/2/16 at 12:38am

Thought I'd bring some light to this thread. I was at She Loves Me tonight (for the second time in less than a week, I can't help my love for this production) and was sitting in the mid-mezzanine. A gentleman sitting in front of me kept leaning forward to rest his elbows on his knees during certain songs, which thus blocked my view of whoever was center stage.  So the third time he did it, I tapped on his shoulder and without needing to say anything or even communicate, he sat straight back and didn't do it again. Wasn't rude about it, but seemed to realize what he was doing and that was it. It was nice.

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#459Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 6/2/16 at 1:32am

How refreshing to hear a story of someone who's aware of a distracting inclination they have  and is willing to correct it without a fight. 

VintageSnarker
#460Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 6/2/16 at 3:20am

I don't see a lot of jukebox musicals though I've heard horror stories from Beautiful, Jersey Boys, etc. The Marvelous Wonderettes was comparatively tame, especially for an off-Broadway show with audience participation. Just a couple chatting away in the front row and some ladies who felt the need to repeat jokes and narrate things that were happening on stage (I will never understand the impulse towards the latter). Nevertheless, I wonder if the jukebox musical/off-Broadway novelty crowd is generally worse or about the same.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#461Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 6/2/16 at 8:21am

I've seen Jersey Boys in multiple cities, and NYC was always the rudest -- especially if asked to stop singing/talking/eating. Last time I went, though, they were remarkably tame. Some M&M eaters but far fewer sing-alongers. (Singers-along?)

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

bwayandstuff
#462Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 6/2/16 at 8:47am

My friends and I rushed a Sunday matinee of Bright Star and the rush seats were extreme left front orchestra. There were 2 women behind us and the one farthest to the left couldn't see so her friend kept telling, and by telling I mean speaking at louder than normal volume, her what was happening, it was maddening. I just don't understand why people can't sit quietly and focus for 2 hrs.

Also, what's up with theaters putting ice in their drinks and serving food that is incredibly noisy when consumed?!

Phantom4ever
#463Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 6/6/16 at 9:17pm

I saw 5 shows this weekend (Blackbird, Phantom, Shuffle, Bright Star, Chicago) and did not experience bad theater behavior at any of them! Part of it was aggressive ushers and part of it was stern-sound announcements at the top of the show rather than anything cutesy.  There may have been a whisper here and there and crinkling candy wrappers, but no talking, no singing along, no cellphones, no bright screens.....just good theater behavior. 

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#464Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 6/6/16 at 10:10pm

Call_me_jorge said: "420 is extremely important to society except when the theatre is involved. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/420_(cannabis_culture)

Actually, I've found that a medicinal treat eaten 30 minutes pre-show is wonderful. And I'm certain that I'm more acceptable to fellow audience members than if I had another cocktail instead. 
Not that I'm an ill-behaved audience member, I believe.

Updated On: 6/6/16 at 10:10 PM

schubox
#465Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 6/6/16 at 10:11pm

MVintheheartland said: "I recently saw "School of Rock", which was disappointing as the understudy was on (he is way too old to be playing the role). There was a group of about 6 teen girls and 3 adult women (probably moms) who arrived at 7:55 for a 7:30 curtain, and clambered over us (we were sitting on the aisle).

Of course, at intermission, they all had to get up (at different times of course) and go back and forth.

By the second act, one young lady had to get up and leave several times, and of course, some of her girlfriends had to follow ("to help"Bad Theater Behavior, Then a mom would get up and climb over us to check on the girls.

It turns out that the one young lady had the stomach flu and was apparently throwing up in the bathroom, and my friend overheard them talking that they thought she was feeling well enough to go to the show.

For pete's sake, if you are sick, STAY HOME AND OUT OF THE DAMN THEATER. AND CHECK YOUR TICKET FOR CURTAIN TIME.

"

I think the 7:30 curtain time is confusing people. I went to SoR Saturday night and I think at least 100 people showed up well after curtain 

pmsept
#466Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 6/6/16 at 11:58pm

What are people's feelings on seat cushions? I'm going to see Hamilton in a month and I'm a little scared that my view will be obstructed by the person sitting in front of me since I'm definitely on the shorter side. Thinking of getting a seat cushion to bring to the show but I'm worried the person sitting behind me would consider this rude. I spent a lot of $$ on the tickets and really hoping I would be able to enjoy it without craning my neck the entire show. 

Phantom4ever
#467Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 6/7/16 at 12:39am

PThespian said: "
You really lucked out at Phantom. 
I work there quite a bit, and it is one of the hardest shows to work because of the constant cellphones and cameras. This is especially true up in the mezzanine. 
The vast majority of audience members up there either don't speak English (making it hard to explain to them that phones and cameras are not allowed) or kids in school groups who don't really want to be there and can't live without their phones. 
It is a constant battle there. 

That was my 61st time seeing Phantom at the Majestic (I know I know that's against the mean-girl vibe of this board but who cares), so I've seen it all. Any time I sit in the front mezz, I get annoyed by foreign tourists who won't shut up and who won't stop translating. And in the rear mezz, it's even worse because of the school groups, who carry on conversations like they're in a lunchroom. Many times I've gotten up at intermission and cursed out an entire group of kids, their chaperones, and the ushers. So I won't be sitting in the mezz of Phantom for a while.  I do take issue with you claiming that the foreign tourists don't speak English.......just because they speak another language does not mean they can't understand English.  I think that's a decidedly American view of bilingualism that is seen far too much on this board. 

"

schubox
#468Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 6/7/16 at 6:10am

PThespian said: "There was a bus from Martha's Vineyard that came late to SOR on Saturday. 

They knew it was a 730 curtain, but they got stuck in traffic. 

"

Ah okay. It was really distracting. It seemed like after every song at the beginning a huge crowd of people rushed in

VintageSnarker
#469Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 6/7/16 at 1:59pm

I went to see a concert last night and had the misfortune of being seated next to someone who would not put away his phone. He mostly used it to check his program when a new performer would come out but also just to browse the web and send texts. I know because I started looking over in the hopes that it would shame him, but it didn't. My trouble last night was that we were in the back row in the corner, so aside from his seatmate, I was the only one really being bothered. 

Phantom4ever
#470Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 6/7/16 at 2:38pm

People not understanding and/or ignoring ushers happens all the time regardless of the language barrier. Once again, just because they didn't understand YOU or ignored YOU does not mean they don't understand English. There are plenty of Americans at every show I go to who sit in the wrong seats, don't understand what the usher said about where to sit, etc. Why? Because they are clueless people and sometimes ushers rattle off the directions too fast.

Phantom4ever
#471Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 6/7/16 at 3:32pm

After 26 years you should be able to have a discussion about it still without getting passive aggressive and sarcastic.  

mailhandler777
#472Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 6/27/16 at 2:45am

Saturday night at If/Then in Philly. Young couple aside of me dressed super nice on their phones the whole show. Hers was dim but his was bright. Also talked after every song began. I knee'd him a few times to get him to shut up and at least flip his phone with the screen down while it was on his lap. About 30 minutes left in the show they are still talking and on their phones. I finally look over at his to see what he was doing. Here he was googling the plot of the show. I know it's a confusing show but just maybe they would have followed along better had they not been texting(or whatever they were doing) and talking the whole freaking show.

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#473Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 6/30/16 at 7:53pm

I also blame the social media for shows, for RT and encouraging stuff like this, for some of this behavior that we encounter at shows:

https://twitter.com/alrisa/status/748641357690855424

(I saw this tweet because Shuffle Along's official Twitter account RT it.)

sharilynj
#474Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 6/30/16 at 9:58pm

Anakela said: "I also blame the social media for shows, for RT and encouraging stuff like this, for some of this behavior that we encounter at shows:

https://twitter.com/alrisa/status/748641357690855424

(I saw this tweet because Shuffle Along's official Twitter account RT it.)

"

Wow, that broad's a piece of work. She claims to be a megafan of Audra but is proud to ruin other people's opportunity to hear her sing. Good job, honey. Also, guess the show's social media person doesn't GAF now that they're closing. "Screw it, RT all the things."

Videos