pixeltracker

Fox "Unlocks" WEST SIDE STORY Film for Steven Spielberg?

Fox "Unlocks" WEST SIDE STORY Film for Steven Spielberg?

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#1Fox "Unlocks" WEST SIDE STORY Film for Steven Spielberg?
Posted: 3/5/14 at 1:08pm

According to Deadline.com, Spielberg is circling the project. I say it never ever happens, but curious to see what others think:

Even though the Robert Wise original musical West Side Story is WestSideStory2about as sacred a cow movie as you are going to find, Fox has unlocked that movie title for a remake specifically because Steven Spielberg is interested in making it. No writer has been set yet and Spielberg hasn’t done anything more than register his interest, which traditionally has always been enough to get a studio hot and bothered.
Deadline.com

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Mattbrain
#2Fox
Posted: 3/5/14 at 1:09pm

At least we won't have to hear Laurents bitching about it. Sondheim, I'm sure, won't be happy but will at least be diplomatic about it.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

brdway411
#2Fox
Posted: 3/5/14 at 1:19pm

The first computer generated anything I see, I am walking out of the film. Hey, Spielberg, how about going back to your roots and filming the whole thing in live action.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3Fox
Posted: 3/5/14 at 1:21pm

"The first computer generated anything I see, I am walking out of the film."

That's a lie written just to sound cool, and you know it.

"Hey, Spielberg, how about going back to your roots and filming the whole thing in live action."

Did I miss the part of the article where it talked about it being a CGI/Cartoon film? Or was that just written to make you sound hip and cool, also?

brdway411
#4Fox
Posted: 3/5/14 at 1:33pm

um, No Jordan, you don't know me! I grew up loving the original movie, I really just hope he keeps it real and does not go crazy with the CGI crap that so many directors are opting for these days.

Edited to correct my senor moment and confusion of Spielberg and Lucas.

Updated On: 3/5/14 at 01:33 PM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#5Fox
Posted: 3/5/14 at 1:36pm

Spielberg did not make the Star Wars prequels...or the original...

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#6Fox
Posted: 3/5/14 at 1:38pm

What next? Indiana Jones the musical

Poster Emeritus

brdway411
#7Fox
Posted: 3/5/14 at 1:42pm

Senior moment. I got Lucas and Spielberg confused. My bad.

Updated On: 3/5/14 at 01:42 PM

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#8Fox
Posted: 3/5/14 at 1:48pm

"At least we won't have to hear Laurents bitching about it. Sondheim, I'm sure, won't be happy but will at least be diplomatic about it."

Why wouldn't he be happy? He loved the Sweeney film (a film I *like* but c'mon--he still fawns over the changes made.) And I think he has said before that the WSS film doesn't work for him as well as it does on stage, but I could be wrong.

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#9Fox
Posted: 3/5/14 at 1:48pm

I hope the Laurentsisms are the first thing to go.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#10Fox
Posted: 3/5/14 at 1:52pm

You mean the phony slang/swearing? While I agree it would be all the harder to make that work in a modern movie, I'm not sure you can just replace them with actual swear words-they'd have to do a careful job. I mean it always was a stylized take on street youth and violence--and I suspect they'd want tomake it more gritty and real which doesn't really work with the material.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#11Fox
Posted: 3/5/14 at 1:52pm

This all sounds suspicious. Fox does not own WEST SIDE STORY. It was produced by Mirisch Pictures, Inc. in association with Seven Arts Productions and released through United Artists.

It's copyright was owned by United Artists and that copyright transferred to MGM when the those two studios merged.

Fox' Home Entertainment division distributes the film on home video through a deal with MGM, but they do not own the copyright.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#12Fox
Posted: 3/5/14 at 1:55pm

I think Sondheim would be thrilled.

FindingNamo
#13Fox
Posted: 3/5/14 at 1:56pm

George Lucas turned the stage play ET THe Extraterrerstrial into a good movie, now forgotten.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#14Fox
Posted: 3/5/14 at 2:05pm

The one thing I can say about this is... why?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

theaternut Profile Photo
theaternut
#15Fox
Posted: 3/5/14 at 2:07pm

It is a win, win situation. If it succeeds it will reinvigorate the classic. If it fails everyone will hail the classic.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#16Fox
Posted: 3/5/14 at 2:12pm

Sondheim would probably be thrilled at the money.

Wildcard
#17Fox
Posted: 3/5/14 at 2:23pm

I bet they'll update the setting of this to present day LA too.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#18Fox
Posted: 3/5/14 at 2:30pm

...So the win/win situation is that a lauded, beloved classic will remain a lauded, beloved classic?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

brdway411
#19Fox
Posted: 3/5/14 at 2:32pm

Could not agree more Kad. Glad I am not the only one who feels this way.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#20Fox
Posted: 3/5/14 at 2:36pm

This is like drawing a mustache and glasses on the Mona Lisa.

Poster Emeritus

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#21Fox
Posted: 3/5/14 at 2:36pm

I guess it is more of a "there is nothing to loose" situation? It might bring new interest among young people. My feeling is I wish they would just stick to original musicals.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#22Fox
Posted: 3/5/14 at 2:38pm

The Hollywood Reporter also says "Fox owns the rights."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/what-a-stacey-snider-move-686105

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#23Fox
Posted: 3/5/14 at 2:43pm

Fox owns the film rights because they currently own the MGM/UA library, which includes West Side Story, released by United Artists.

Ten Academy Awards, a record-breaking soundtrack, and a huge money-maker weren't enough last time. Maybe Spielberg can finally make it better.

He should do it live on TV with Carrie Underwood and Usher.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

FindingNamo
#24Fox
Posted: 3/5/14 at 2:47pm

Quvenzhané Wallis IS Maria. Barkhad Abdi IS Tony.
The Bloods vs. Crips IS

Steven Spielberg's

West Side Story!

introducing Shakira
as Anita

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none
Updated On: 3/5/14 at 02:47 PM

Videos