BEST MUSICAL RACE 2014

Emma White Profile Photo
Emma White
#75BEST MUSICAL RACE 2014
Posted: 3/14/14 at 9:36pm

"Yeah, since you haven't seen any of them, I think it would be weird to predict the nominees."

But I like to feel included :)
Nah, I'm just going off reviews and what I've heard on these boards. I WISH I could have seen them.

"Nice is different than good."

Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
#76BEST MUSICAL RACE 2014
Posted: 3/14/14 at 11:12pm

I'll discuss on April 23rd.

"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"

After Eight
#77BEST MUSICAL RACE 2014
Posted: 3/15/14 at 8:10am

"You better watch out or you're going to become a parody of yourself, if you haven't already. "

To thine own self-parody be true.

"Cleopatra's glorious entrance into Rome," indeed!

Wilmingtom
#78BEST MUSICAL RACE 2014
Posted: 3/19/14 at 3:57pm

I'm not predicting a happy ending for If/Then. It is not getting a lot of love on the Rialto but, admittedly, the critics haven't weighed in. I do think After Midnight will slide in, not only because it's extremely well put together and highly entertaining but because it has the classy imprimatur of Wynton Marsalis. Whether the finale of Rocky is enough to lift it up, we'll see. I think Beautiful, Bridges and Gentlemen's Guide are in, and let's wait to see how Bullets pans out when the reviews roll in. I'm sensing it will get a slot.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#79BEST MUSICAL RACE 2014
Posted: 3/19/14 at 4:00pm

The only one I would nominate at all for anything so far this season is Gentleman's Guide.

broadwayworldreader
#80BEST MUSICAL RACE 2014
Posted: 3/19/14 at 5:10pm

My five are:

Bullets
If/Then
Gentleman's Guide
Bridges
Rocky

I say Rocky makes the final spot because its a familiar property that has some of the best integration of spectacle in a musical. That being said, it won't win: how many theatres around the country can accommodate the last 20 minutes of that show? I don't think out of town theatre owners will want to vote for a show they can't house.

Based on my own opinions and the five I've "nominated" I would (very presumptuously) choose Bullets as the leader, but it's hard to say what with the scandal surrounding Woody Allen.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#81BEST MUSICAL RACE 2014
Posted: 3/19/14 at 5:17pm

"I will be dipleased indeed-"

You'll be displeased regardless.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#82BEST MUSICAL RACE 2014
Posted: 3/19/14 at 7:32pm

While reviews are normally a safe bet, they still don't matter much for the Tonys...

matineeidol2591
#83BEST MUSICAL RACE 2014
Posted: 3/20/14 at 7:45am

While the number of new, worthy contenders for best musical are exciting, there isn't a single show that I feel was strong enough to lock the award. I finally saw If/Then yesterday, so I now feel I can compile my list.

If I was nominating, I would choose:

Bullets
Rocky
Bridges
After Midnight
If/Then

Bullets is the front runner this season. Industry insiders seem to think Bullets, After Midnight, and Gentleman's Guide are locks in the best musical nomination category. Very curious for April to roll around.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#84BEST MUSICAL RACE 2014
Posted: 3/20/14 at 9:42am

My prediction:

After Midnight
Bullets Over Broadway
Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder
If/Then
Rocky

*I'd rather see Bridges included than Rocky, but I think Rocky will get the nod.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#85BEST MUSICAL RACE 2014
Posted: 3/20/14 at 10:07am

I don't understand people's reasons why Rocky would get nominated over Beautiful.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#86BEST MUSICAL RACE 2014
Posted: 3/20/14 at 10:16am

Or nominated over AFTER MIDNIGHT which is absolutely one of the best shows of the season.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#87BEST MUSICAL RACE 2014
Posted: 3/20/14 at 10:16am

I wouldn't be too surprised if Beautiful got a nod (disappointed because I thought the book was subpar). But I think the nods for the show will be the actors-particularly Mueller and Larsen who manage to craft something out of the misshapen book.

I think After Midnight and Gentleman's Guide are locks. Both have received fabulous reviews and held out all season long. I think Bullets will likely snag a nod (yes I saw it-liked it very much).

The last two slots will likely go to If/Then and leave Bridges, Beautiful and Rocky vying for the last spot. I give Rocky a leg up for a couple of reasons (not the least of which is that it's a known entity). I'd like Bridges to get it in my heart, but I feel that so much works in Rocky's favor.

I think likelihood for the last spot is:

Rocky
Beautiful
Bridges (hoping to be wrong here).

If I was doing the nominations I'd pick (not that this matters or affects anyone):

After Midnight
Bridges of Madison County
Bullets Over Broadway
Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder

I would not nominate a fifth show (unless Hedwig was deemed new). Those are the shows I consider worthy. Updated On: 3/20/14 at 10:16 AM

jbroadway4 Profile Photo
jbroadway4
#88BEST MUSICAL RACE 2014
Posted: 3/20/14 at 3:26pm

My predictions:
.If/Then
.Beautiful
.Rocky
.A Gentleman's Guide To Love and Murder
.Bullets Over Broadway

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#89BEST MUSICAL RACE 2014
Posted: 3/20/14 at 3:39pm

It's really hard to predict what will be nominated this year, even with an extra slot! After Midnight, Bullets Over Broadway, and If/Then are the shows I feel will definitely be nominated. I have a feeling The Bridges of Madison County will snag a spot even if it is no longer running.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Updated On: 3/20/14 at 03:39 PM

StickIt Profile Photo
StickIt
#90BEST MUSICAL RACE 2014
Posted: 3/20/14 at 3:47pm

I don't see Rocky getting a nomination over Beautiful. Who knows if either will make it, but if it were going to be one, Beautiful's reviews were much more positive overall than Rocky's. Beautiful got slammed for parts of the book by some critics and got flack for the "hit parade" nature from others but they received gushing, universal praise for Jessie Mueller, the supporting performances by Jake Epstein, Anika Larsen, and Jarrod Spector all got great notices and many actually did like the show and find merit in the wit and fun of it. In addition to that, it's been quietly doing very well at the box office and has great word of mouth.

If there are 4 slots, I'm not sure either one will make it, but I think the merits of Rocky are pretty exaggerated in this thread and on the board in general. My picks would be:

Bullets Over Broadway
After Midnight
If/Then
Gentleman's Guide
Beautiful

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#91BEST MUSICAL RACE 2014
Posted: 3/20/14 at 4:33pm

There are going to be 5 slots. As I said above, since the praise was heaped on the actors rather than the production as a whole, I think they'll honor the show through nominating the actors.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was nominated for best musical, but I think the overall feeling is that the actors elevated the material.

StickIt Profile Photo
StickIt
#92BEST MUSICAL RACE 2014
Posted: 3/20/14 at 5:00pm

But Rocky got bad reviews and both Andy and Margo got some negative criticism. Furthermore, Andy didn't get anywhere near the raves that the actors in Beautiful got. I don't see how you could make the argument that they have a stronger chance.

oasisjeff
#93BEST MUSICAL RACE 2014
Posted: 3/20/14 at 5:12pm

With no evidence to back up my claim (this is the Internet, after all), I still feel there is a preference to nominating shows with original music over shows with known music. You still have to create a compelling show, but it seems if you have Duke Ellington (After Midnight), Carole King (Beautiful) or famous period music (Bullets) as a starting point, it is less challenging than creating something entirely new.

And it is less of an artistic challenge to show Carole King's life including her famous, very well known music than it is to convert a famous story about a boxer where he now suddenly breaks into original song.

I also don't think anyone has criticized Andy and Margo for their performances as being lackluster, as much as questioning how their characters were utilized to serve the show.

I think it is a case of it being better to aim high and miss a bit than to aim lower and nail it?

Full disclosure: I have tickets to Beautiful, but didn't see it yet.

Now t/d/b/a haterobics on here.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#94BEST MUSICAL RACE 2014
Posted: 3/20/14 at 5:40pm

"But Rocky got bad reviews and both Andy and Margo got some negative criticism. Furthermore, Andy didn't get anywhere near the raves that the actors in Beautiful got. I don't see how you could make the argument that they have a stronger chance."

I was doing my research to find that the average critic's ratings for Rocky is at 7.22 on BWW, while Beautiful stands at 6.61.

StickIt Profile Photo
StickIt
#95BEST MUSICAL RACE 2014
Posted: 3/20/14 at 8:46pm

"I was doing my research to find that the average critic's ratings for Rocky is at 7.22 on BWW, while Beautiful stands at 6.61."

I don't know what those ratings are based on but if you actually read the reviews, from the same outlets (compare NYT to NYT, Hollywood Reporter to Hollywood Reporter, etc) critics found many more redeeming qualities in Beautiful. I'm so confused by the amount of pushback on this board for anyone who suggests anything mildly negative about Rocky. It's an ambitious show with many elements that deserve recognition (Alex Timbers, Andy Karl, and the set design all come to mind) but I just don't see it being nominated for Best Musical. Obviously, that's just my opinion.

And if there's such a preference to shows with original music, how come Jersey Boys, Mamma Mia, Million Dollar Quartet, Xanadu, Rock of Ages, etc. were all nominated for Best Musical? And those are just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are many more.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#96BEST MUSICAL RACE 2014
Posted: 3/20/14 at 9:01pm

For what it's worth, StageGrade has both shows at a B.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

evic
#97BEST MUSICAL RACE 2014
Posted: 3/20/14 at 9:35pm

Ain't Misbehavin'- no original music - won for Best Musical
Contact-no original music-won for Best Musical
Phantom Of The Opera-music stolen from other sources-won for Best Musical

OperaBwayLover Profile Photo
OperaBwayLover
#98BEST MUSICAL RACE 2014
Posted: 3/20/14 at 9:37pm

I live out of state, so I can't really comment, but all of this (friendly and positive) debate is definitely making me look forward to the Tonys this year. Good stuff, guys. BEST MUSICAL RACE 2014

littlebro2
#99BEST MUSICAL RACE 2014
Posted: 3/20/14 at 10:34pm

Seems to be that Aladdin is doing better box office and is getting better reviews than Rocky! Perhaps Aladdin may be a player, or at least a nominee after all.

2014- Cripple of Inishmaan, Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Bullets Over Broadway

Videos