Drama Desk Nominations

beautywickedlover
#25Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 11:44am

Ramin Karimloo received rave reviews as Jean Valjean in both the West End and Toronto yet he is still not getting any nominations so far. I think Casey Nicholaw's chances of being nominated for Best Director at the Tonys are ver slim. But anything can happen. Some of the nominations I am very happy about are for Laura Osnes, Stephanie J. Block, Bill Pullman, Andy Karl, Adam Jacobs, James Monroe Iglehart, Ian Mckellen, Denzel Washington, Sutton Foster, Idina Menzel, and Bryan Cranston. They are plenty of others too.

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#26Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 11:44am

SO thrilled for Barrett Wilbert Weed. I haven't seen HEATHERS but she was the only thing worth watching in that BARE travesty.

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#27Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 11:45am

I think the Tony folks are going to put it into the musical category.

These Drama Desk nods are the weirdest in years. (The OCCs seem more in line with what I think will happen regarding Broadway shows.)

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#28Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 11:49am

No nomination for Best Play for Casa? What about Ramin for Les Miz? Yorke missing also? Cherry M.I.A.? What the ****?

On the plus side, glad Big Fish got nominated for its wrongly maligned score. Amazing the score got very good notices in Chicago but here it is to blame for the show closing early.

Poster Emeritus

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#29Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 11:50am

So, do we think FUN HOME will win both the OCC and Drama Desk for Best Musical? Therefore leaving the Tony winner anyone's guess?

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#30Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 11:51am

^^^^ I would love that! Fun Home deserves it, and then there would be more suspense for the Tonys.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#31Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 11:53am

Even if Fun Home won both the OCC and Drama Desk, I still think the Tony will come down to either After Midnight or Gentleman's Guide. Hardly a wide-open field.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#32Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 11:54am

I think the Drama Desks may give us a tie between Fun Home and Gentleman's Guide.

At the OCCs, where it's separate for off-Broadway, I am fairly certain Fun Home will win.

Drama League=Anybody's guess.

Fun Home does indeed deserve it (and had it transferred, we would have very little doubt as to who would win the Tony). I think next year it may get its chance.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#33Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 11:55am

WiCkEDrOcKS, I would LOVE that. One, because it's actually the Best Musical of the year & two because last year was such a nail biter, it would be even worse this year.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

bwaydreamer
#34Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 11:55am

These are all over the place as usual. Any awards that do no nominate Act One for best set are effing crazy!

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#35Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 11:56am

THRILLED at how well “Bridges” did. They deserve it. I hope the Tony nominations follow suit.

But, “Love’s Labour’s Lost” for Outstanding Musical? And, no Cherry Jones? Thrilled for Celia, though. She stole the show for me.

I can’t believe how little love “If/Then” is receiving.

Happy to see the surprise (at least to me) nominee of Stephanie J. Block in “Little Miss Sunshine.” I thought she was the strongest in the cast – finding depth and genuineness in a script that didn’t have much.

Happy to see all of the “Fun Home” love, too (although Cerveris definitely should have earned a nom, in my opinion). I certainly think it stands a good chance at winning Best Musical for both the Drama Desk and the OCCs.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#36Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 11:57am

Where's AFTER MIDNIGHT?

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#37Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 11:58am

Best Revue.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

WiCkEDrOcKS
#38Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 11:58am

It's nominated for Best Revue.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#39Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 12:02pm

The Tony's need to have a category like that. Best theatrical event. It has no book or actors so I do not see how it can be a musical in the traditional sense of the word. Contact should have been one as they went it one better with no dialog and canned music.

Agree re the set in Act One., Even the critics who did not like it sited the set. Methinks some of the committee here were a little sauced up if you get my meaning.

Poster Emeritus

Steve721
#40Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 12:17pm

"Methinks some of the committee here were a little sauced up if you get my meaning."

Given the snub of The Glass Menagerie in the best play revival category, I have no trouble at all believing that. WTF?

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#41Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 12:25pm

What? Love for Bobby Steggert in Big Fish but not Norbert Leo Butz? Dag. So happy about Bridges getting all the love it deserves, and super happy for John Douglas Thompson for Satchmo. I'm not surprised at If/Then getting mostly snubbed, I thought it was such a mediocre show.

TheatreKid3
#42Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 12:29pm

To me, GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE just doesn't seem like a "Best Musical" winner. It reminds of NICE WORK or THE SCOTTSBORRO BOYS - a very nominate-able show, but not a slam dunk winner or favorite.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#43Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 12:31pm

^ I think that's a good summary for every new musical this season though.

Of course I have my favorites, but there's no BOOK OF MORMON or HAIRSPRAY this year, that's for sure. No critical and financial juggernaut. Updated On: 4/25/14 at 12:31 PM

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#44Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 12:33pm

"Ramin Karimloo received rave reviews as Jean Valjean in both the West End and Toronto yet he is still not getting any nominations so far."

He got a Drama League nomination.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#45Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 12:35pm

So happy to see Adriane Lenox nominated for AFTER MIDNIGHT.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#46Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 12:38pm

"I'm not surprised at If/Then getting mostly snubbed, I thought it was such a mediocre show"

...more surprising was ROCKY being nominated. Talk about mediocrity.

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

Will42 Profile Photo
Will42
#47Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 12:41pm

Shocked to see Cherry Jones' snubbed. Can she still win the Tony or Audra McDonald will make the history on June 9?

WiCkEDrOcKS
#48Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 12:46pm

We'll have to wait a little bit to see if LADY DAY is deemed a play or a musical first.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#49Drama Desk Nominations
Posted: 4/25/14 at 12:46pm

Who knows? We are not psychic Drama Desk Nominations

"more surprising was ROCKY being nominated. Talk about mediocrity."

I totally agree, it was such utter crap.