pixeltracker

Rant about the 2014 TONY NOMINATIONS here- Page 5

Rant about the 2014 TONY NOMINATIONS here

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#100Rant about the 2014 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/29/14 at 9:07am

While the 4 that got the Best Musical nominations were the ones I had predicted as locks, I still really thought that either Bridges or Rocky would have taken that 5th slot. Total shock especially after Best Play used the extra slot.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#101Rant about the 2014 TONY NOMINATIONS here

I just hope Anthony Rapp doesn't go cray cray over this.

When Anthony and his show get no awards, Anthony goes cray cray!

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#102Rant about the 2014 TONY NOMINATIONS here

Nice for Andy Karl.

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

loliveve Profile Photo
loliveve
#103Rant about the 2014 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/29/14 at 9:08am

HeyMrMusic- thanks for the info!

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#104Rant about the 2014 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/29/14 at 9:08am

Yes, yes, yes, everyone was simply robbed, and it's the most disgusting, atrocious thing ever to happen in America.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#105Rant about the 2014 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/29/14 at 9:09am

I'm sad Daniel Radcliffe didn't get a nomination. The Tony people do not seem to like him...

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#106Rant about the 2014 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/29/14 at 9:10am

I'm holding a candle vigil outside the Richard Rodgers tonight.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#107Rant about the 2014 TONY NOMINATIONS here

I bet Tim Rice is like, "Cool, I did nothing and got a Tony nomination." Howard Ashman is like, "I did all that and did it posthumously."

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#108Rant about the 2014 TONY NOMINATIONS here

And my gosh, the web camera was HORRIBLE. I hope they fix it, next year

hundredsofhats
#109Rant about the 2014 TONY NOMINATIONS here

Happy for Ramin Karimloo, and yay for all the nominations for Casa Valentina! Happy for James Monroe Iglehart, too. Happy for Neil Patrick Harris.

But very sad for Jonathan Freeman...

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#110Rant about the 2014 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/29/14 at 9:12am

The omissions I'm most upset about are Bridges for Best Musical and Steven Pasquale. I also wish Michelle Williams would have gotten a nomination, but that doesn't seem as egregious as the other two. And I can't believe Daniel Radcliffe is 0 for 3.

However, I'm THRILLED for all the guys from Twelfth Night. All of those nominations were 100% deserved, and I'm especially happy that Samuel Barnett managed to get into that very crowded Best Actor category.

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#111Rant about the 2014 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/29/14 at 9:12am

Did anyone else find it humorous that Celia Keenan-Bolger's name was announced immediately after they said The Cripple of Inishmaan (Sarah Greene)?

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#112Rant about the 2014 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/29/14 at 9:13am

Also noticed that No Man's Land/Godot were both shut out entirely. Maybe it was too hard for them to decide between the two shows? :P

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#113Rant about the 2014 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/29/14 at 9:13am

I honestly don't care that BRIDGES and IF/THEN were snubbed. They weren't going to win anyway, but the fact that we're going to lose out on seeing performances by both casts on the telecast really bums me out...

"I shall stay until the wind changes."
Updated On: 4/29/14 at 09:13 AM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#114Rant about the 2014 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/29/14 at 9:14am

Pretty pleased with the acting nods, especially re the ladies from A RAISIN IN THE SUN! Job well done, ladies, though I do think Denzel should have gotten in. Sad for him and Zachary Quinto, deserving cast members who saw the rest of their cast (also deservingly) get in. Thrilled beyond belief that Anika Noni Rose finally got a nod after her win.
The Best Musical category is quite embarrassing, but then again, I didn't think much of the musical slate this season. Sad to see BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY snubbed though.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

loliveve Profile Photo
loliveve
#115Rant about the 2014 TONY NOMINATIONS here

Since Cabaret was eligible and yet not nominated, does that mean literally NO one thought it should be nominated?

jbroadway4 Profile Photo
jbroadway4
#116Rant about the 2014 TONY NOMINATIONS here

GOOD:
.YAAAAAS "Beautiful" and Jessie!
.YAAAAAS "The Glass Menagerie" and Celia!
.YAAAAAS Idina and Tom Kitt & Brian Yorkey!
.YAAAAAS Andy Karl!
.YAAAAAS Lena Hall!

SNUBS:
.Helene Yorke
."If/Then" for Best Musical
.Zachary Levi
.Norbert Leo Butz
.Margo Seibert

ThatDirectorGuy
#117Rant about the 2014 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/29/14 at 9:16am

Not so much a rant, but this is the only place where I see this sort of discussion going on.

Is this the first time an individual has gotten two acting nominations in the same year like Rylance has? I'm a bit fascinated.

I'm also a bit surprised No Man's Land/Waiting for Godot got no love. I saw No Man's Land and thought it was a well executed production.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#118Rant about the 2014 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/29/14 at 9:18am

A little surprised for the overall love for Beautiful, I didn't think the Tony nominating committee would be quite as impressed by it given the mediocre quality of the craft behind it. I do think this probably makes Jessie the front runner for best actress in a musical. Unfortunately I suspect Bridges will be posting a closing notice in a week or so. That's the heartbreaker for me.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#119Rant about the 2014 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/29/14 at 9:18am

So happy for Paul Chahidi. Big surprises are Washington and, to a lesser extent, Radcliffe, being left out. But, in my opinion, as illustrated by Barnett's inclusion in that category, these aren't snubs; it is simply that they took the nom-voting very seriously and honored the performances they thought more deserving. This was a season teeming with great work and the committee seemed to be doing its unenviable job; of, course, that means some very fine work didn't make it.

Updated On: 4/29/14 at 09:18 AM

NeverSoShy
#120Rant about the 2014 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/29/14 at 9:19am

"but the fact that we're going to lose out on seeing performances by both casts on the telecast really bums me out... "

Agreed, a very small part of me was expecting If/Then to get nominated simply to bring in more viewers to see Idina perform (though that would suggest a certain lack of integrity!). Just having fewer musical performances is more than a bit gutting!

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#121Rant about the 2014 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/29/14 at 9:20am

Jan Maxwell was double nominated in 2010 for LEND ME A TENOR and THE ROYAL FAMILY.
And it's not like NO ONE thought CABARET shouldn't get in, just not enough voters for it to make the cut. It happens.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

loliveve Profile Photo
loliveve
#122Rant about the 2014 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/29/14 at 9:22am

^ thanks; I honestly wasn't sure how the nominating process worked.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#123Rant about the 2014 TONY NOMINATIONS here

>>I honestly don't care that BRIDGES and IF/THEN were snubbed. They weren't going to win anyway, but the fact that we're going to lose out on seeing performances by both casts on the telecast really bums me out... <<

I wouldn't be so sure we won't see performances - or at least snippets - if their producers want to pay for the privilege. The last few years have seen numerous non-nominated shows have performances - especially if one of the actors in the show is nominated. And since Adele Dazeem and Kelli O'Hara were both nominated, it certainly is possible there will be some performance.

Jay94
#124Rant about the 2014 TONY NOMINATIONS here

I feel like we're back in the 80s. It's like Drood vs. Sophisticated Ladies.