pixeltracker

Hippity Hoppity, Wolverine's On His Way

Hippity Hoppity, Wolverine's On His Way

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#1Hippity Hoppity, Wolverine's On His Way
Posted: 6/9/14 at 12:11am

So, that opening number. I have very mixed feelings about it. I thought it was sort of gleefully absurd when I saw it, and it fit very much in the "Hugh Jackman will do just about anything" feel of the evening.

When I found out it was a complete reproduction of a musical number from "That's Entertainment," I had even more mixed feelings... It felt like a "Family Guy" bit where they reproduce an entire movie scene. Was it clever and fun, or just padding? Did knowing the number in question before the homage make it more enjoyable, or less?

(For those who haven't seen it, here's the video of the original scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtlHjso3LHA#t=54)

brdway411
#2Hippity Hoppity, Wolverine's On His Way
Posted: 6/9/14 at 12:12am

LMAO Hippity Hoppity, Wolverine's On His Way

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#2Hippity Hoppity, Wolverine's On His Way
Posted: 6/9/14 at 12:13am

Small Town Girl. The name of the original movie was Small Town Girl.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

NoName3 Profile Photo
NoName3
#3Hippity Hoppity, Wolverine's On His Way
Posted: 6/9/14 at 12:20am

And the name of the song in the film is "Take Me to Broadway."

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#4Hippity Hoppity, Wolverine's On His Way
Posted: 6/9/14 at 12:21am

It was a good thing. Don;t lose sleep over it.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#5Hippity Hoppity, Wolverine's On His Way
Posted: 6/9/14 at 12:22am

I will now be having a viewing of the movie at my house. You're all welcome to come over.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Theatrefan2
#6Hippity Hoppity, Wolverine's On His Way
Posted: 6/9/14 at 12:22am

I found it totally lacking. I was looking forward to it and was disappointed. NPH last year was wonderful so I was expecting something like that. Not this silly hopping. Somehow they should have found a way to get him into the number. I found Hugh was just an all right host with the big hollywood name.

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#7Hippity Hoppity, Wolverine's On His Way
Posted: 6/9/14 at 12:51am

I think the only reason for that random, ridiculous excuse for an opening number was so he could say "you won't see THAT at ComiCon!"

Sarcasm is an allergic reaction to stupid people.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#8Hippity Hoppity, Wolverine's On His Way
Posted: 6/9/14 at 2:07am

I can't believe I forgot Nat King Cole is in Small Town Girl. Just for a number but he's great :)

Updated On: 6/9/14 at 02:07 AM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#9Hippity Hoppity, Wolverine's On His Way
Posted: 6/9/14 at 2:09am

His full name is National?!

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#10Hippity Hoppity, Wolverine's On His Way
Posted: 6/9/14 at 2:09am

Haha, stupid phone.

sciencegirl
#11Hippity Hoppity, Wolverine's On His Way
Posted: 6/9/14 at 8:55am

I'm repeating myself from another post. But, bottom line -
I expected something that screamed "THIS IS BROADWAY 2014!, BITCHES" and made people excited about the shows this year - that's was NPH did wonderfully last year.

This bouncing homage just said "Hugh Jackman is in good shape." I already knew that, I've seen his butt (as he randomly pointed out).

If it was a part of the opening, it might have worked. But to build the whole thing around it? It went on too long and wasted the talent of the nominees who were regulated to background dressing to his bounce. A damn shame.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#12Hippity Hoppity, Wolverine's On His Way
Posted: 6/9/14 at 9:28am

As Abe Lincoln once said "You cannot please all the people all the time". If they do not like what you say or do tell them to go **** themselves. He was later shot for his trouble.

Poster Emeritus

Brian07663NJ
#13Hippity Hoppity, Wolverine's On His Way
Posted: 6/9/14 at 9:30am

Funniest part of that entire bit was the comment he made about wishing he wore a dance belt.

Gothampc
#14Hippity Hoppity, Wolverine's On His Way
Posted: 6/9/14 at 9:35am

The Tonys have lacked creativity for years. This is just one more example. How many people actually understood they were recreating a scene from a little known musical? This was really the best they could do?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#15Hippity Hoppity, Wolverine's On His Way
Posted: 6/9/14 at 10:33am

The movie version was better especially the part with the dancing dog.

Poster Emeritus

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#16Hippity Hoppity, Wolverine's On His Way
Posted: 6/9/14 at 11:09am

As Abe Lincoln once said "You cannot please all the people all the time". If they do not like what you say or do tell them to go **** themselves. He was later shot for his trouble.

Says the person who can't get over an acceptance speech.

carlodowd Profile Photo
carlodowd
#17Hippity Hoppity, Wolverine's On His Way
Posted: 6/9/14 at 11:11am

Have to say, i was a bit disappointed with the opening

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#18Hippity Hoppity, Wolverine's On His Way
Posted: 6/9/14 at 11:16am

It was Ok but a different opening would have been better.

Poster Emeritus

brdway411
#19Hippity Hoppity, Wolverine's On His Way
Posted: 6/9/14 at 12:17pm

I was disappointed with the whole thing.

evic
#20Hippity Hoppity, Wolverine's On His Way
Posted: 6/9/14 at 12:24pm

Hugh's calves must be killing him today. Awful opening. Fail.

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#21Hippity Hoppity, Wolverine's On His Way
Posted: 6/9/14 at 12:41pm

Epic fail. Even playbill.com didn't get the reference calling his kangaroo hop a tribute to his native Australia

http://m.playbill.com/news/article/192100-Hop-Rap-and-Tap-10-Memorable-Hugh-Jackman-Moments-From-the-2014-Tony-Awards

Tom5
#22Hippity Hoppity, Wolverine's On His Way
Posted: 6/9/14 at 1:02pm

After seeing the video I think Jackman's tribute to Bobby Van will be enormously appreciated through history, if not the immediate present. (At the time I thought it was weird, but interesting). By the way, Bobby Van, who died at a very young age, was very much loved by everyone who knew him. He was also married to Elaine Joyce who is now Mrs. Neil Simon.

ChgoTheatreGuy Profile Photo
ChgoTheatreGuy
#23Hippity Hoppity, Wolverine's On His Way
Posted: 6/9/14 at 1:06pm

Worst opening for the Tonys ever!!!...

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#24Hippity Hoppity, Wolverine's On His Way
Posted: 6/9/14 at 1:08pm

I see that as more of a fail on Playbill's part than on Hugh's. He even hopped past a screen showing a scene from the movie. Even if you were unfamiliar with the movie that should have been a clue to a "journalist" that there might be more to it.