Which is worse: Once or Violet?

japhun2 Profile Photo
japhun2
#1Which is worse: Once or Violet?
Posted: 10/4/14 at 10:50am

Both were crap, but at least Violet had Sutton and was only one act. Any thoughts?

Pootie2
#2Which is worse: Once or Violet?
Posted: 10/4/14 at 10:53am

I don't see how there can be good discourse over such a vapid post.

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#2Which is worse: Once or Violet?
Posted: 10/4/14 at 11:15am

I didn't see Violet, but I did not care for Once at all.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

mpd4165
#3Which is worse: Once or Violet?
Posted: 10/4/14 at 11:17am

OP -I could say you're sorely wrong on both shows, but I know we're not going to get anywhere.

japhun2 Profile Photo
japhun2
#4Which is worse: Once or Violet?
Posted: 10/4/14 at 11:25am

I did enjoy Violet more than Once...Once is seriously a snoozefest with hardly any plot and characters that aren't worth caring about.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#5Which is worse: Once or Violet?
Posted: 10/4/14 at 11:26am

Is that you, After Eight?

I think Once is much better. (I liked it personally.) I fell asleep toward the end of Violet.

Everlast85 Profile Photo
Everlast85
#6Which is worse: Once or Violet?
Posted: 10/4/14 at 11:26am

You. You're the worst.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#7Which is worse: Once or Violet?
Posted: 10/4/14 at 11:27am

Violet was very enjoyable whereas Once was one big snorefest. Once is one of the overrated musicals I have ever seen. Saw it on a naughty version and saved myself some money. Mrs R wanted to see it and was glad we did not pay to see it. We could have got comp tickets but she declined saying "Once was once too many"

Poster Emeritus

japhun2 Profile Photo
japhun2
#8Which is worse: Once or Violet?
Posted: 10/4/14 at 11:32am

I am glad to see so many people who agree that Once is so boring. It is still on here in London and they are bringing in Ronan Keating to try to breathe new live into it...I just wish they would let it die already and bring in something good! I am so happy Urinetown is on now! (one of the best!)

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#9Which is worse: Once or Violet?
Posted: 10/4/14 at 11:37am

I was a big fan of the Once movie, and enjoy the Broadway version just as much. Can't a show just not be something you enjoy, but also not be bad? That's why there are lots of shows, so everyone can find something they enjoy... while I didn't dislike Violet, either, I prefer Once more of the two.

kp
#10Which is worse: Once or Violet?
Posted: 10/4/14 at 11:51am

Well said.The original poster is pleased a handful of people agreed with him. I imagine there are many people who liked one or either of the shows, who wouldn't be bothered to reply to such a question. I haven't seen either but will be seeing Once later this month on the recommendation of several friends, whose opinions I value.

japhun2 Profile Photo
japhun2
#11Which is worse: Once or Violet?
Posted: 10/4/14 at 11:54am

I value all forms of theatre...just particularly did not enjoy either of these shows. I even saw Once twice just because so many people loved it, it won Best Musical, etc...still didn't connect. I appreciate your opinions too...maybe my wording was too harsh! Which is worse: Once or Violet?

stevenycguy
#12Which is worse: Once or Violet?
Posted: 10/4/14 at 12:08pm

I found them both to be total snoozefests.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#13Which is worse: Once or Violet?
Posted: 10/4/14 at 12:29pm

Loved Once and so glad it won Best Mucical. It was a simple, sweet show based off one of my favorite films.

Loved Violet, the gorgeous score and the performances were top notch, especially Joshua Henry.

promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
#14Which is worse: Once or Violet?
Posted: 10/4/14 at 12:35pm

I bought the Once cast recording expecting to be blown away because of the recommendations that I received from tons of people...and wasn't. It just isn't my thing. I gave the movie a try and rented it from the library.. it must have been scratched because it stopped working twenty minutes in and I never bothered with it again!

I loved Violet though. I loved seeing Sutton and Joshua Henry on stage and I love the music in it.

someone.else's.story2 Profile Photo
someone.else's.story2
#15Which is worse: Once or Violet?
Posted: 10/4/14 at 12:45pm

Loved Once , haven't see Violet but the premise seemed intriguing.

Yet another cynical thread about how "bad" shows are....this is nap worthy??????

“I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being.” ``oscar wilde``

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#16Which is worse: Once or Violet?
Posted: 10/4/14 at 1:07pm

You are lucky you could not view the movie

Watching it is a violation of the Geneva conventions regarding torture.

Poster Emeritus

Mattbrain
#17Which is worse: Once or Violet?
Posted: 10/4/14 at 2:06pm

japhun and Roxy....get bent.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#18Which is worse: Once or Violet?
Posted: 10/4/14 at 2:13pm

Oh I get it. You can rip any show you want but if someone dare say something against a show you like that cannot be. Really not too open minded.

Stick it where the sun doesn't shine Matt.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 10/4/14 at 02:13 PM

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#19Which is worse: Once or Violet?
Posted: 10/4/14 at 2:38pm

Once is the most boring show I've ever seen. I prefer to listen to the cast recording than go see it in person.

Wilmingtom
#20Which is worse: Once or Violet?
Posted: 10/4/14 at 2:45pm

Really, such a tacky post?

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#21Which is worse: Once or Violet?
Posted: 10/4/14 at 2:48pm

Incrediby tacky. This person clearly has no idea the time, effort, and cost made to create a show. I guess people need shiny sets and huge dance numbers for a show to be interesting. Their loss.

Wilmingtom
#22Which is worse: Once or Violet?
Posted: 10/4/14 at 2:51pm

I can certainly understand someone not liking a show, but such a frat boy post title is really annoying and doesn't qualify as discourse.

evic
#23Which is worse: Once or Violet?
Posted: 10/4/14 at 2:58pm

How Once got great reviews and is still running is one of the great mysteries of Broadway to me. I was bored out of my mind. Maybe the critics were impressed with the actors playing instruments and stomping their feet at the same time. The interpretive "dance" that the 3 women did was laughable. Kazee was easy on the eyes but I wanted to strangle Milotti- so obnoxious. I am no Sutton fan and didn't see violet. She has a great voice and is a great hoofer but has zero sex appeal. How she got raves for Anything Goes is another mystery. Now Patti and Chita- they have sex appeal.

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#24Which is worse: Once or Violet?
Posted: 10/4/14 at 3:02pm

Which is Worse:

Someone who lists every show he's ever seen in his signature as if anyone could give a sh!t and we are going to be impressed he's seen Wicked 14 times.

OR

Someone who provides his detailed, nuanced opinion on 2 shows as if he just got done reading "Theatrical Critique For DUMMIES", has 6 people respond, 2 who liked ONCE, 2 who didn't and 2 who recognized how pointless this thread is and then comes back with "I am glad to see so many people who agree that Once is so boring."

Videos