pixeltracker

Curious Incident rush price raised

Curious Incident rush price raised

ahhrealmonsters
#1Curious Incident rush price raised
Posted: 10/8/14 at 10:44am

Just got back from rushing Curious Incident. The rush price was raised from $37 to $59, box seats. A lot of people left without buying tickets. I understand (sort of) raising the price after opening/good reviews, but that's quite an increase in price. Has this kind of rush price spike happened before with other shows?

neonlightsxo
#2Curious Incident rush price raised
Posted: 10/8/14 at 10:52am

Yikes. Do you happen to know if they're still offering the $27 mezz seats? Or did they raise that too?

ahhrealmonsters
#2Curious Incident rush price raised
Posted: 10/8/14 at 10:53am

They're still selling the $27 last row mezz seats for future performances, but they were sold out of them for both the matinee and evening today.

neonlightsxo
#3Curious Incident rush price raised
Posted: 10/8/14 at 10:57am

I meant for the future. Thank you!

hanabana
#4Curious Incident rush price raised
Posted: 10/8/14 at 11:00am

Oh wow! $59 for box seats... I don't know if this kind of rush price spike has happened, but this seems really steep for rush prices. I hope the box seats are not too obstructed for this show. When I paid $40 for rush at Once, and saw maybe 50% of the show due to the obstruction in the box, I thought that price was a bit high already. I was planning to rush this show soon, this definitely changes things.

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#5Curious Incident rush price raised
Posted: 10/8/14 at 11:09am

$59 can hardly even be considered rush...

Gothampc
#6Curious Incident rush price raised
Posted: 10/8/14 at 11:11am

Someone told me that it's a show you need to see "straight on". I think in the box seats, you may miss alot. Can someone confirm?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

jetcap
#7Curious Incident rush price raised
Posted: 10/8/14 at 11:13am

It's a shame about the increase, but I sat in the most forward box for previews and thought they were truly awesome for this play. Your view of the near back corner is cut off a bit, but with so much of the action happening on the stage floor, you really get a bird's eye view of everything. I was unaware of $27 tix for previews, perhaps they didn't exist or were sold out that day. Ticket agent tried to stress we were getting obstructed views tickets and he would recommend rear mez for $57. We took the box and couldn't be have been happier. For this particular play, I would take them over any orchestra seat; think the best would be front mez.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#8Curious Incident rush price raised
Posted: 10/8/14 at 11:20am

In the words of Margo in All About Eve

"Welcome To The Theater"

This will happen more and more now with critically acclaimed shows. The Producers started stuff like this and the public fell for it. Now it is happening with lower priced seats

Saw the trailer of this in the movies and it did nothing for us.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 10/8/14 at 11:20 AM

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#9Curious Incident rush price raised
Posted: 10/8/14 at 11:25am

I understand both the right and desire of the producers to raise the prices on rush tickets, and of course acknowledge that no show is obligated to offer them, but ouch that's a really steep increase. I was definitely planning on trying to see this with rush tickets, but now that I can almost see two shows for the price of this one, I'll have to forego it for now...

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#11Curious Incident rush price raised
Posted: 10/8/14 at 11:39am

I was a little perturbed about this increase also especially since no one was informed until the box office opened. The attendant reiterated that it was a box seat with full view. He also confirmed that Alex would be performing the matinee. This is the show I've been looking forward to the most this season so I bit the bullet. While I understand it is a major increase at least I'm not sitting on the far sides of the orchestra and paying $22 more.

And to Mr. Roxy, no one cares.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

HBBrock
#12Curious Incident rush price raised
Posted: 10/8/14 at 11:41am

Why in the world would anyone consider wasting time in a morning rush line to buy obstructed box seats when you can buy full view $27 tickets in the rear mezz in advance.

I sat in the back of the rear mezz and it is more than fine.

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#13Curious Incident rush price raised
Posted: 10/8/14 at 11:53am

Why in the world would anyone consider wasting time in a morning rush line to buy obstructed box seats when you can buy full view $27 tickets in the rear mezz in advance.

I sat in the back of the rear mezz and it is more than fine.

I think this is exactly what I'm going to do, HBBrock, thanks for confirming the view is good from those seats! I better make my plans soon before they take that luxury away.

Updated On: 10/8/14 at 11:53 AM

#14Curious Incident rush price raised
Posted: 10/8/14 at 11:55am

It's a case of Economic Supply and Demand. If the producers can get it it is prudent for them to get the $. This play just opened. It is more of a "convenience" Rush as they will hold back these boxes which will give a closeup birds eye view. I saw the show and would sit as center as you can anywhere in the Mezz.

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#15Curious Incident rush price raised
Posted: 10/8/14 at 12:09pm

It's a case of Economic Supply and Demand. If the producers can get it it is prudent for them to get the $. This play just opened. It is more of a "convenience" Rush as they will hold back these boxes which will give a closeup birds eye view. I saw the show and would sit as center as you can anywhere in the Mezz.

There's no question that you're correct that it's a simple case of supply and demand. It does not seem economically wise, though, for them to increase the price of rush tickets this high. People like me, who would have been willing to pay $37 for a rush ticket, now retreat to buy a $27 ticket that might not be as close to the stage but is perfectly fine. Who will wait on line for a $59 box seat when there is an option for half the price that you can buy in advance without waiting outside during the fall / winter with the risk of not getting a ticket? Economics says that when the price of a good goes up, the quantity demanded decreases. Will producers increase the prices of the rear mezzanine seats to make the rush tickets look like a better bargain? Or will they find out that they aren't selling enough box seats at $59 and end up decreasing the price?

It's obviously too early to see how demand (the rush line) will change as a result, but it feels like they're out-pricing themselves. By the way, is this the highest priced rush ticket ever?

brdway411
#16Curious Incident rush price raised
Posted: 10/8/14 at 1:06pm

Well there goes my plans for tomorrow. Already seen it. It's amazing. And yes, best viewed straight on. Just wanted to see it from the box to see what I would be missing.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#17Curious Incident rush price raised
Posted: 10/8/14 at 1:11pm

The box seats are horrible.

mamaleh
#18Curious Incident rush price raised
Posted: 10/8/14 at 3:39pm

Whenever I'm offered rush box seats, I ask: "Are they closer to the stairs or the stage?" If the latter, fine. If the former, you'll miss 95 percent of the action.

Looking forward to my $27 center mezz seat for next week, purchased during the summer.

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#19Curious Incident rush price raised
Posted: 10/8/14 at 11:30pm

Did Alex Sharp play the matinee today? It sounds like the box office was telling people that, but the Playbill says that Taylor Trensch is doing the matinees.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

ahhrealmonsters
#20Curious Incident rush price raised
Posted: 10/8/14 at 11:32pm

Taylor Trensch was on for the matinee today.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#21Curious Incident rush price raised
Posted: 10/8/14 at 11:35pm

Just curious, why is there an alternate for this role? Is it THAT demanding?

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#22Curious Incident rush price raised
Posted: 10/8/14 at 11:40pm

I believe this is the highest rush policy ever on Broadway, or possibly ever anywhere.

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#23Curious Incident rush price raised
Posted: 10/9/14 at 1:32am

Thanks for posting this. I went and grabbed some 27 buck seats this afternoon in case they decide to raise those next.

hanabana
#24Curious Incident rush price raised
Posted: 10/9/14 at 10:44am

Does anyone know if there is a set performance schedule for Alex Sharp and Taylor Trensch? I am debating between a matinee show for Saturday or Sunday and was just curious. Also, it seems that the only rear mezzanine seats for $27 is the very last row. I've never sat in the last row before, can anyone shed some light regarding how the view would be? Thanks.

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.