pixeltracker

Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?- Page 2

Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#25Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?
Posted: 8/2/15 at 5:15am

Jeffrey, which recording is the 50th anniversary of Guys and Dolls? I have several and I'd like to add it if you think it's terrific.

This One!

DigificWriter
#26Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?
Posted: 8/2/15 at 7:56am

One more that I'd forgotten earlier:
Mary Poppins: Original Australian Producton

I had thought about including more than one version of Les Mis, Sweeney, Annie, and ItW on my list - since I love the film soundtracks for each of those shows as well and the 2005 Sweeney Broadway Revival - but decided in the end to only focus on one recording from those shows.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#27Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?
Posted: 8/2/15 at 9:16am

The one that stands out in my mind where I prefer a latter cast recording than the original cast recording is for the 2013 revival of pippin.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

lotiloti Profile Photo
lotiloti
#28Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?
Posted: 8/2/15 at 12:15pm

I will always prefer the OLC of Matilda. For no other reason than, the OBC is missing the unlisted/uncredited track of the London cast.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#29Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?
Posted: 8/2/15 at 12:36pm

The ones that immediately come to mind are...

Evita (2012 revival)

On The Town (2014 revival)

Cinderella (2013 revival)

Gypsy (2008 revival)

South Pacifc (2008 revival)

Matilda (2013 Broadway)

Follies (2011 revival)

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Updated On: 8/2/15 at 12:36 PM

DigificWriter
#30Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?
Posted: 8/2/15 at 12:44pm

Does anybody know the answer to my question about the Joseph: The New Musical Cast album (wondering who the personnel on it are)?

Also, I'm going to treat the Newsies Film soundtrack as the original recording of that score and mention that I vastly prefer the Broadway Production recording.

Updated On: 8/2/15 at 12:44 PM

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#31Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?
Posted: 8/2/15 at 1:36pm

Long time lurker, first time poster!

My answers:
Guys & Dolls (1992 revival)
Carousel (1994 revival)
Godspell (2000 off-Broadway revival)
42nd Street (2001 revival)
Anything Goes (1987 revival)
Cinderella (2013 Broadway)
Pippin (2013 revival)
Grease (movie cast)
Chicago (movie cast)

Updated On: 8/2/15 at 01:36 PM

helvizz Profile Photo
helvizz
#32Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?
Posted: 8/2/15 at 3:28pm

Cabaret ('98 Broadway), Bare (2007), Gypsy (2008 Broadway), La Cage (2010 Broadway), Godspell (2011 Broadway), Follies (2011 Broadway), Pippin (2013 Broadway), Hedwig (2014 Broadway)

Company is a mistery: I probably listen to the '96 and 2007 Company revivals more than I do the OBC, as well as to the 2011 concert. But it's just 'probably'. Each recording has many great qualities of its own (and some not so great...).

Updated On: 8/12/16 at 03:28 PM

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#33Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?
Posted: 8/2/15 at 4:20pm

The Boyfriend Revival with Judy Carne and Sandy Duncan is much easier to listen to then the original cast with Julie Andrews. Mostly because of the technology from the seventies being so much better than the technology from the fifties.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#34Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?
Posted: 8/2/15 at 7:20pm

The London cast recording of "Sunset Boulevard" versus the Broadway cast, but I'm not sure if we're talking original casts or Broadway casts. 

Also, the 25th anniversary "Phantom of the Opera" and the film soundtrack of "Hairspray" are mine! 

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

AEA AGMA SM
#35Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?
Posted: 8/2/15 at 9:06pm

The London cast recording of Sunset Boulevard is the original. The L.A. recording with Glenn Close came second (it's not the Broadway cast recording; Alice Ripley took over the role of Betty when the show opened in NY after the US premiere in Los Angeles)

RaiseYouUp Profile Photo
RaiseYouUp
#36Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?
Posted: 8/2/15 at 11:20pm

Pippin (2013)
La Cage (2010)
Hedwig (2014)
On The Twentieth Century (2015)

Updated On: 8/2/15 at 11:20 PM

BroadwayFan12
#37Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?
Posted: 8/3/15 at 5:34am

Anything Goes (2011 revival)

Chicago (2001 movie)

Drood (2012 revival)

Gypsy (2003 revival)

The King and I (2015 revival)

On the Town (2014 revival)

On the Twentieth Century (2015 revival)

The Sound of Music (1965 movie)

South Pacific (2008 revival)

neonlightsxo
#38Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?
Posted: 8/3/15 at 9:11am

I prefer the recent Evita London revival to the OBC.

asmith0307
#39Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?
Posted: 8/3/15 at 10:07am

Put me down for the 2011 Royal Albert Hall version of Phantom as well. I just have never really liked Sarah Brightman's voice. She's technically great, but it has just never done it for me.

DigificWriter
#40Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?
Posted: 2/14/16 at 2:42am

I figured it was time to update my list and add some new stuff:

The Music Man - 2000 Broadway Revival (this is a better version than what I had previously listed)

Jesus Christ Superstar - 1996 London Revival

The Wiz - 2015 NBC LIVE! Production

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat - 2006 London Palladium Revival (this is a better version of the score than what I had previously listed, which seems to have been an 'off-brand' generic recording)

South Pacific - 2008 Broadway Revival

Dreamgirls - 2001 Concert Production

The Fantasticks - 2006 Off-Broadway Revival

Evita - 1996 Film Adaptation (although the 2006 London Revival score is a close second)

Chicago - 2002 Film Adaptation

How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying - 1995 Broadway Revival

The King and I - 2015 Broadway Revival

Oklahoma - 1979 Broadway Revival

Carousel - 1994 Broadway Revival

Also, if we can count "original recordings" as being the soundtrack albums of stuff that started out in film and was later adapted for the stage, the Broadway recordings of Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Tarzan, Newsies, The Little Mermaid all get votes from me, as does the Andrew Lloyd Webber adaptation of The Wizard of Oz.

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#41Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?
Posted: 2/14/16 at 3:35am

It's not technically a recording, but the only recording of "Carousel" I can listen to without hating Julie is the Lyric Opera's radio broadcast. Unfortunately, I can't listen to Lyric Opera's version without hating Carrie. 

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#42Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?
Posted: 2/14/16 at 5:33am

CATSNYrevival said: "For Chicago I actually prefer the London revival cast album. It has more dialogue, Roxie's soliloquy, the act one finale and Ruthie Henshall, of course. Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?"

Not to mention Ute's phenomanal performance

For me:

* Anything Goes (Londron, NT, 2003)

* Assassins (Broadway, 2004)

* Cabaret (Broadway, 199Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?

* Candide (London, 1999)

* Carousel (1995 BBC Broadcast with Mandy Patinkin and Janie Dee)

* Chicago (London revival)

* The King And I (Broadway, 1996; London, BBC Broadcast with Barbara Cook)

* Evita (World Tour, 1995, with an amazing Florence Lacey)

* Into the Woods (OLC)

* Nine (Broadway, 2003)

* Pippin (Broadway, 2913)

Updated On: 2/14/16 at 05:33 AM

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#43Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?
Posted: 2/14/16 at 8:13am

Nine, Australian Cast 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
DigificWriter
#45Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?
Posted: 8/12/16 at 2:02am

Having just listened to the 2012 Broadway Revival Cast Recording of Evita in its entirety, I have to update my comment from February where I said that the Film Recording version of the score was my favorite and give that spot to the 2012 BRCR, with my only real complaint being that I wish they'd followed the movie in making Another Suitcase in Another Hall a song for Eva.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#46Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?
Posted: 8/12/16 at 3:40am

really? despite Elena Roger's general vocal inconsistencies?

and you prefer th OBCR of Little Mermaid to the movie soundtrack? I agree re: Beauty and the Beast mostly for Susan Egan.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#47Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?
Posted: 8/12/16 at 7:03am

I really do prefer the 2008 recording of South Pacific.  The original is wonderful, but I find the performances to be just as good on the 2008 recording and the sound quality is much sharper.

The 2016 recording of She Loves Me is absolutely definitive.  The OBC is wonderful, but the new recording is far superior due to the new orchestrations and Jane Krakowski's definitive Ilona. 

I also enjoy the 2004 recording of Assassins to the original off broadway recording.  The performances are better and it has some essential dialogue ("Have it your way..."Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?.  It also has "Something Just Broke" which is a wonderful addition to the score.

kreichelt
#48Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?
Posted: 8/12/16 at 8:15am

Does not feel cool to pick a movie over the Broadway recording, but I have to vote for Jeremy Jordan and Anna Kendrick on The Last Five Years.  And I wish we could have an OBC version of American Psycho, which would undoubtedly be better than the London cast.

Whateverjsays
#49Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?
Posted: 8/12/16 at 9:11am

First thought in my mind was 'Kiss of the Spider Woman' with Vanessa Williams. Full embodiment of the role!