pre-theatre dining

amymarchant
#1pre-theatre dining
Posted: 11/17/14 at 11:58am

Hi! I'm visiting NYC from the Uk in Dec, and have tickets for cabaret and gentlemans guide. where should i go for great pre-theatre dining please?

regnad kcin Profile Photo
regnad kcin
#2pre-theatre dining
Posted: 11/17/14 at 12:08pm

Last time in Manhattan we had a lovely dinner at Marseilles http://www.marseillenyc.com/.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#2pre-theatre dining
Posted: 11/17/14 at 12:12pm

I second Marseille. Great food.

Poster Emeritus

ILuv2shop531
#3pre-theatre dining
Posted: 11/17/14 at 12:14pm

Some of my favorite places

Pigalle- Great French restaurant
Bourbon Street Bar and Grill-Great pub with Strongbow on tap!
Bare Burger
VYNL
John's Pizza

SFJeffry Profile Photo
SFJeffry
#4pre-theatre dining
Posted: 11/17/14 at 12:46pm

We always enjoy 44 & X. Delicious food.

amymarchant
#5pre-theatre dining
Posted: 11/17/14 at 12:49pm

Thanks so much!

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#6pre-theatre dining
Posted: 11/17/14 at 1:01pm

Times Square/The Theatre District is not known for having the best restaurants in New York. Here are a few I would recommend. If you are willing to take the subway or a cab outside of the theatre district, your choices are endless:

Le Bernardin (unequivocally the best high end restaurant in the theatre district)

Carnegie Deli
Carmine's
Tony's Di Napoli
Don Antonio
Patzeria Perfect Pizza
Patzeria Family & Friends
Basso56
La Masseria
Toloache
Sushi Zen
Lamb's Club
Aureole

Broadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
#7pre-theatre dining
Posted: 11/17/14 at 1:03pm

My fav..... http://www.44andahalf.com/

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bwaydide92
#8pre-theatre dining
Posted: 11/17/14 at 1:15pm

Bella Vita Pizzeria on 43rd off of 7th. Their pizza is great and it's a classy little joint.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#9pre-theatre dining
Posted: 11/17/14 at 1:32pm

You have gotten some great suggestions here. But keep in mind that the theater district gets very crowded before a show. Plus, construction seems to be everywhere (narrowing the sidewalks). Even walking three blocks up or down Eighth Avenue can be very stressful. It's nuts.

For that reason, whenever I eat before a show, I like to stay as close as possible to the theater. That means, for me personally, on the same block! Then, assuming you already have your tickets, you can use the facilities in your restaurant and then stroll over to the theater about 10 minutes before the show. No stress! This makes theatergoing a pleasure.

Anyway, before I saw Cabaret, I met some friends at 54 Below and sat at the bar for a cocktail and a delicious salad. This location is great because you will be in the same building as the theater (or close enough). Call ahead, though, to make sure a show isn't going on and that sitting at the bar is possible.

I didn't eat before Gentleman's Guide, but for that I would recommend Pigalle, on the corner of Eighth and 48th.

Have a great trip!

Updated On: 11/18/14 at 01:32 PM

brdway411
#10pre-theatre dining
Posted: 11/17/14 at 1:35pm

EDISON CAFE. HANDS DOWN.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#11pre-theatre dining
Posted: 11/17/14 at 1:52pm

A few doors down from Cabaret is a good restaurant called Iguana's

Poster Emeritus

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#12pre-theatre dining
Posted: 11/17/14 at 2:06pm

I completely agree with macnyc's suggestions. On evenings when you are going to see a show, stay as close to the theatre for dinner as possible due to winter weather, construction, and crowds. That is great advice. It will save you a lot of stress.

And if you are around on another day without an evening show to get to, pick a place to dine somewhere else in the city. I love Buddakan, Bouley, Scalini Fedeli, and Del Posto outside of the theatre district.

Updated On: 11/17/14 at 02:06 PM

Replacement Cast Profile Photo
Replacement Cast
#13pre-theatre dining
Posted: 11/17/14 at 2:09pm

Just make reservations. Theatre district restaurants are mobbed before and after the show and December the absolute busiest time of year anywhere in the city. I'd rather leave in December than in July/August!

Nice is different than good.

regnad kcin Profile Photo
regnad kcin
#14pre-theatre dining
Posted: 11/17/14 at 2:20pm

Also around the corner from Gentleman's Guide is Trattoria Trecolori, which has been very good at previous visits. But I tend to disagree with macnyc about limiting yourself to the same block; as long as you're within a few blocks of the theater you can walk within minutes. Lots of good choices!

LarryD2
#15pre-theatre dining
Posted: 11/17/14 at 5:34pm

La Masseria is the best Italian restaurant in the Theater District, and it happens to me just a few doors down from The Kerr, where Gentleman's Guide is playing. I highly recommend it. Make reservations, though--it's always full-to-bursting pre-theater.
La Masseria website

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#16pre-theatre dining
Posted: 11/17/14 at 6:09pm

I highly recommend Trattoria Trecolori, at 254 W 47th. Very reasonable prices for the area, and very good food. As others have said, make a reservation.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#17pre-theatre dining
Posted: 11/17/14 at 6:18pm

Yes, by all means make reservations! OpenTable is a very good app for that. It's free. Just sign up, choose a restaurant (you can search by name or by location) and pick a time. Very easy!

If you don't have a smartphone you can use the website, opentable.com. Or use both!

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#18pre-theatre dining
Posted: 11/17/14 at 6:35pm

Glass House Tavern (American)
*** 1 block away from Gentleman's
http://www.glasshousetavern.com

Thalia
Pre-theater prix fix $35
*** close to Cabaret
http://www.restaurantthalia.com

Haru Sushi (Japanese)
Happy Hour Specials Daily from 3-6 PM @the sushi bar
http://www.harusushi.com

Carmine's (Italian)
http://www.carminesnyc.com

***RSVP a must for all of the above around 5:30 for an 8:00 Show

Bareburger (Organic Burgers)
46th Street
http://www.bareburger.com

Marseille is great but a pretty long walk after dinner and trying to navigate the crowds en route to the theater a bit stressful.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 11/18/14 at 06:35 PM

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#19pre-theatre dining
Posted: 11/17/14 at 6:48pm

Also near Gentleman's Guide is Mont Blanc (Formerly Luxia). Sit at the bar for cheap drinks and some good European food. Not touristy at all, and has a great old NY vibe.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

PVDColleen Profile Photo
PVDColleen
#20pre-theatre dining
Posted: 11/17/14 at 7:37pm

I also would recommend LaMasseria and Trattoria Trecolori....have always had good experiences at both of these restaurants. I also agree that a reservation is a must.

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#21pre-theatre dining
Posted: 11/17/14 at 7:38pm

Once each trip I do restaurant row Pre-theatre at Don't Tell Mama and post theatre at Joe Allen. It just feels 'theatre'. If you make a post theatre reservatikn at Joe Allen just tell them what show and they'll book you for the correct time.

Love Becco,Orso, Barbetta

Also Havana Cental for Cuban on 45th. All take reservations and will get you out in time for curtain. Just tell them-it's what they do.

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#22pre-theatre dining
Posted: 11/17/14 at 10:54pm

I hate eating near the Theater District, and as a rule, I make every effort to avoid it (including the entirely undeserving-of-three-Michelin-stars, Le Bernardin. That said, I adore Ippudo and will suffer crowds and lines for their ramen. Betony and Seäsonal, just north of the theater district, are also amazing.

Ennie
#23pre-theatre dining
Posted: 11/18/14 at 12:37pm

Dafni, Greek restaurant on 42nd St, between 8th and 9th Ave. Have taken different people there, and everyone liked it.

Pammylicious Profile Photo
Pammylicious
#24pre-theatre dining
Posted: 11/18/14 at 1:19pm

Ollie's Chinese 42nd and Tenth.....away from the maddening crowd.