PIPPIN Movie Cast

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#25PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 5:56am

^ What do aerial gymnastics have to do with anything, aside from their use in the current revival.

There is no indication that aerial gymnastics will even be a part of the motion picture version.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#26PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 7:50am

I'll be the obligatory "guy who's against it" then: I frankly think a movie of Pippin, unless it's handled with care, is a horrible idea. It's hard to imagine this very, very stage-oriented show being successfully reconfigured for film. Given Zadan and Meron's recent work for NBC, I'd be much happier if, say, they filmed the Diane Paulus revival for television with a few stars instead. (And repent for their previous sins by adding a live audience to the live broadcast gimmick, because, especially with that production, you need the audience reaction.)

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

JamesBroadwayWiner Profile Photo
JamesBroadwayWiner
#27PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 8:42am

Usually I'm not a fan of the Broadway actors doing the film, but I think Patina absolutely has to be Leading Player. Im not sure if I even want to see it without her in that part

"Brevity is the soul of wit"--Hamlet

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#28PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 8:57am

Here's My Choices:
Pippin: Unknown
The Leading Player: Patina Miller
Charlemagne: Kevin Kline
Fastrada: Catherine Zeta-Jones
Berthe: Angela Lansbury
Catherine: Michelle Williams

Directed By Damien Chazelle

Brian07663NJ
#29PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 9:04am

Lewis: Erik Altemus
Berthe: Bette White

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#30PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 9:14am

Leading Player- Michelle Williams
Pippin- Daniel Radcliffe or unknown
Catherine- I would love Rachel bay jones but she isn't a star, but she doesn't have to be.
Fastrada- Melanie Griffiths
Charles- John Rubinstein or John Travolta
Berthe- Betty White or rhea perlman
Lewis- unknown

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#31PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 10:22am

Justin Timberlake for Leading Player

thespian geek Profile Photo
thespian geek
#32PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 10:35am

I'm just going to throw the idea out there for George Blagden as Pippin. He was Grantaire in the Les Mis movie and has loads of training in musical theatre, but has been doing more television than anything else. If you YouTube him, he puts up a lot of covers and has a wonderful voice and I think would be an excellent fit for the role.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#33PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 10:40am

These are the same people who hired Matthew Broderick to do "The Music Man" and who thought Carrie Underwood would make a great Maria. Don't expect great casting choices.

Mrtrobz
#34PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 11:08am

I like the Daniel Radcliffe suggestion he is definitely ripe for a musical, Joseph Gordon Levitt needs more musical roles too.

Liza's Headband
#35PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 11:16am

Assuming that this is being filmed at some point next year, that would take both Zac Efron and Emma Watson out of the running. They are already committed to filming projects, which happen to be movie musicals, through the end of 2015.

Brick
#36PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 11:17am

The Leading Player will be a woman, and they have their sights on some big pop acts.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#37PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 11:25am

Won't Patina Miller have a big chance to reprise the Leading Player due to her Hunger Games part (even though it was like one scene)?

LinManuelSondheim Profile Photo
LinManuelSondheim
#38PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 11:28am

Patina Miller will be The Leading Player. She is the Leading Player! At first i thought she's a stage actress, but when i saw Mockingjay she seemed like she can ace the Leading Player in the movie. Maybe Eddie Redmayne as Pippin. Les Mis, The Theory of Everything, It's lightwork for him! Meryl Streep as Berte all the way! She is a perfect fit. She aced Last Midnight in Into The Woods, she'll rock No Time At All in Pippin. That's what i got so far.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#39PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 11:29am

I actually really think Beyonce would be a phenomenal Leading Player, provided she has a great director. As a performer, she's dead on for it though- killer voice, great dancer, and just so watchable in the way that Ben Vereen was in the role. I really think she could be sensational.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#40PIPPIN Movie Cast

Updated On: 12/29/14 at 11:29 AM

Liza's Headband
#41PIPPIN Movie Cast

I can guarantee you 100%, without any hesitation, that Patina Miller will not be cast as The Leading Play for a major movie musical being produced by the Weinstein Company. As Brick said above, they are currently looking at female pop stars.

smallvillefan16
#42PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 11:33am

I don't mind the idea of Daniel Radcliff...he'd actually make a pretty good Pippin. I still can't see how this will transfer to film...

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#43PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 11:39am

I am most curious about the script. This is one of the stagiest shows ever, with constant asides to thr audience, narration and bits of plot based entirely on the fact that the show is a play and has been performed before.

I suspect the whole thing will be retooled from the bottom up, for better or for worse.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#44PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 12:22pm

Patina will most likely be having a larger role in Mockingjay Part 2, though she is already a series regular on Madam Secretary (which she's actually very good on).

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#45PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 1:10pm

I really don't see how well this will transfer to film, especially the Leading Player.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#46PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 1:15pm

If were giving a pitch for the film, this would be my idea:

The real setting is the late 60's at Carnegie Mellon (nod to where Stephen Schwartz first conceived the show), where a soon-to-be graduate enters a circus (nod to the current Broadway revival) performed by the players telling the story of Pippin where the college student then starts to imagine the real story taking place with him as Pippin, because the two share something together, they are both looking for their "corners of the sky".

bwayobsessed
#47PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 1:33pm

I feel as though, like Godspell, this is something written for the stage that should be kept on the stage. Unless they majorly rework the show, I can't picture it working. Unlike Les Miz or Into the Woods. It does not have a strong story to back it up. I find the story of Pippin pretty bland but when it's paired with circus performers it is a spectacle. But that couldn't be achieved on film. There are so many other musicals that could benefit from a stage to screen transfer but since its happening regardless of my desires....

I love the idea of Angela Lansbury playing Berthe but it's probably more likely they'd get someone like Betty White to play the role (which I also would not be opposed to). I also think casting someone on the younger side as Pippin would be more believable on film although some like Jonathan Groff could obviously carry the singing required with the part. I think that if they get stars for Leading Player, Berthe, Fastrada, Charlemagne and Lewis, then Catherine and PIppin could be unknowns/broadway actors. Although I feel it'd be more likely they'd put a thespian for one of the supporting roles as they did with Little Red and Eponine.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#48PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 1:39pm

I, too, am unsure of how well this will translate to film -- but who knows. I know I'll pay to see it!

My first thought was Groff as Pippin, as well, Jordan. I'd been hoping for that for a while. Also Michael Arden would be awesome.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

bwayobsessed
#49PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 1:56pm

One of my thoughts for the transfer would be to have the leading player be someone in the kingdom like the entertainer or someone who's hired to raise Pippin. Have the majority of the movie be set in a completely fantastical world then at the end all of the green screens turn off and Pippin is the only one who does not realize he's just been in a movie the whole time or something like that. Then the actor who played the leading player pulls Theo back into the seductive world of cinema. I don't know.