pixeltracker

I was told the Last Ship is closing in January

I was told the Last Ship is closing in January

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#1I was told the Last Ship is closing in January
Posted: 12/30/14 at 5:44pm

I met a guy a couple days ago who is directly associated with the Last Ship. I know for sure he works with the show but I cannot vouch for his honesty or access to credible information. I myself am not an insider of any kind.

He told me that everyone working with the Last Ship was told about 1 week ago that it is closing in January when Sting's run is done. Don't crucify me if this turns out to be false, I am just stating what he told me.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#2I was told the Last Ship is closing in January
Posted: 12/30/14 at 5:51pm

Well, based on the grosses with and without STING we are all now expecting it to close when he officially leaves so I guess the SHIP will be sinking on January 24th.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 12/30/14 at 05:51 PM

AirJewels
#2I was told the Last Ship is closing in January
Posted: 12/30/14 at 5:52pm

I won the lottery tonight. Very small crowd. I suspect almost everyone who entered won. They were also offering Lotto Loser seats for $40.

evic
#3I was told the Last Ship is closing in January
Posted: 12/30/14 at 6:03pm

Makes sense- if Sting cannot sell out during the holidays, there is little hope for the show. Props to him for giving the cast another 2 months of work.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#4I was told the Last Ship is closing in January
Posted: 12/30/14 at 6:10pm

Not a shock at all. A shame another good show goes down the drain.

Poster Emeritus

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#5I was told the Last Ship is closing in January
Posted: 12/30/14 at 6:11pm

This is a rumor, and probably should be taken down.

Matt1
#6I was told the Last Ship is closing in January
Posted: 12/30/14 at 6:37pm

I was told this same thing by someone who worked at Les Mis that the cast of Last Ship was told it will close when Sting leaves. I have no idea of what he said was true or not.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#7I was told the Last Ship is closing in January
Posted: 12/30/14 at 6:40pm

Too bad. I saw it this afternoon and loved it. Great score, great performances.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#8I was told the Last Ship is closing in January
Posted: 12/30/14 at 7:27pm

Ah, but did these people say January of what year? 2015? 2016? 2017?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#9I was told the Last Ship is closing in January
Posted: 12/30/14 at 7:31pm

This season is turning into a disaster as far as new shows closing prematurely. Looks like the curse of the Alvin/Simon lives on.

Poster Emeritus

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#10I was told the Last Ship is closing in January
Posted: 12/30/14 at 7:40pm

I won the lotto today for the matinee, and I really enjoyed the show (my second time). I gotta say, Michael Esper is giving an amazing performance! I'll feel really bad if this rumor turns out to be true because I think the show is original and well done. I give Sting props for standing behind it. The house seemed full, and the audience was very enthusiastic.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#11I was told the Last Ship is closing in January
Posted: 12/30/14 at 8:04pm

Will you please stop with this "curse of the theatre" crap? PLEASE!

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#12I was told the Last Ship is closing in January
Posted: 12/30/14 at 8:11pm

If it bothers you, do not read

I cringe when I read " I am so there" or "it blew me away" but I somehow survive.

Poster Emeritus

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#13I was told the Last Ship is closing in January
Posted: 12/30/14 at 9:01pm

Not surprising, but still a real shame. I loved this show a lot! I actually like it enough that I saw it a 2nd time so I could see Sting as Jackie, and I rarely see shows on Broadway twice. I feel bad for Jimmy Nail! Poor guy probably isn't going to get to play the role again, unless Sting calls out (Jimmy is now employed as Sting's standby, for those who might not know).

After Eight
#14I was told the Last Ship is closing in January
Posted: 12/30/14 at 9:30pm

Sting, or no Sting, people simply do not want to see this show.

And if the show were as wonderful as people here exclaim, and the audience as enthusiastic as people here claim, then word of mouth would have brought others to see it, Sting or no Sting.

That hasn't happened. And for good reason.

It's a dud.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#15I was told the Last Ship is closing in January
Posted: 12/30/14 at 9:40pm

There are many reasons why a good show closes early. This is a good show that simply did not catch on. It is not the first & will not be the last.

Poster Emeritus

iluvtheatertrash
#16I was told the Last Ship is closing in January
Posted: 12/30/14 at 9:58pm

I've seen it three times already, and look forward to revisiting it again before it (eventually) closes. I think it's beautiful, with a stunning score and tremendous performances.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#17I was told the Last Ship is closing in January
Posted: 12/30/14 at 10:14pm

This is a good show that simply did not catch on.

In your opinion. I wouldn't sit through it again if they paid me.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

After Eight
#18I was told the Last Ship is closing in January
Posted: 12/30/14 at 10:19pm

Another factor that could be at play here is that the overselling of Sting and his show on every tv talk show imaginable may have backfired.

People may well have decided that these songs weren't worth hearing even for free, much less spending big bucks to hear them in a theatre.

iluvtheatertrash
#19I was told the Last Ship is closing in January
Posted: 12/30/14 at 10:21pm

I'm not usually a Sting fan. I was very surprised by how much the score moved me. I went in thinking I was going to really hate it, but it wound up being one of my favorite new musicals in a while.

I will say - people either seem to love it or hate it.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#20I was told the Last Ship is closing in January
Posted: 12/30/14 at 10:48pm

I've seen this show five times. The last time I saw a show more than twice was probably twenty years ago. It is that good. There will not be a better score on Broadway for a long time. Yes, men don't dress up like women, the show doesn't wink at the audience and mock the genre, it isn't based on a cartoon or a lousy B movie, and it doesn't have music you walk in singing. This show's failure says nothing about its quality, but about what theater audiences today have become. The show is not dull, the audiences are.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#21I was told the Last Ship is closing in January
Posted: 12/30/14 at 10:48pm

I am one who loves it. I just think it's a beautiful story that is really well done, and I love seeing it. I've seen it 4 times already, with plans for a 5th, and I'll sure as hell be there when it does close. The cast gives it their all, and I hope they can keep doing it into awards season.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#22I was told the Last Ship is closing in January
Posted: 12/30/14 at 10:58pm

WTF

Kennedy Center honors Sting and no Last Ship number?????

Poster Emeritus

FindingNamo
#23I was told the Last Ship is closing in January
Posted: 12/30/14 at 11:00pm

That's how you know it's a flop.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#24I was told the Last Ship is closing in January
Posted: 12/30/14 at 11:09pm

The Last Ship apparently did perform, but the number was cut due to time.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.