Broadway show or Julie Andrews?

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#1Broadway show or Julie Andrews?
Posted: 3/17/15 at 6:19pm

So, this May, I'm supposed to see 2 shows: On the 20th Century and The King & I. We can only afford 2 shows. But, I just heard that Julie Andrews is coming to the DC area next month, which is the same price of a Broadway show. It's only her, talking about her life, but hey: It's Julie Andrews! How can you pass her up? Should I sacrifice a show to see Dame Julie Andrews?

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#2Broadway show or Julie Andrews?
Posted: 3/17/15 at 6:21pm

Yes. Of course.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#2Broadway show or Julie Andrews?
Posted: 3/17/15 at 6:47pm

Are you under 35 and who are you going with? There may be cheaper alternatives for the Broadway shows so you can do both AND see Julie Andrews. Not sure what price range you are looking to stay in.

Lincoln Center has LincTix (http://www.lct.org/linctix) for 21 to 35 year olds. You can only get 1 ticket per person, but it says you can coordinate with other members (you can get your companion(s) to join if they meet requirements) to see shows together.

There is also HipTix via Roundabout that offers $25 seats, but they are in the mezzanine. If you upgrade to HipTix Gold ($75/year), you can access orchestra seats for $25. You can buy a max of two tickets. Might be worth it if you are interested in other Roundabout shows down the road: http://www.roundabouttheatre.org/Shows-Events/HipTix.aspx

Enjoy your shows!

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

disneybroadwayfan22
#3Broadway show or Julie Andrews?
Posted: 3/17/15 at 7:14pm

^You're awesome! Thank you! I just turned 21, so I'll be good :) I'm going with my parents. Birthday/Christmas gifts

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#4Broadway show or Julie Andrews?
Posted: 3/17/15 at 7:34pm

I would forever pick Julie Andrews. I'm dying to see her live, but I don't think I can make it to DC.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#5Broadway show or Julie Andrews?
Posted: 3/17/15 at 7:57pm

Exactly when and where is Julie appearing in DC?

I asked google but it doesn't seem to know anything about it.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$
Updated On: 3/17/15 at 07:57 PM

disneybroadwayfan22
#6Broadway show or Julie Andrews?
Posted: 3/17/15 at 8:16pm

^Strathmore in Bethesda

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#7Broadway show or Julie Andrews?
Posted: 3/17/15 at 8:32pm

Julie Andrews. Always Julie Andrews.

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#8Broadway show or Julie Andrews?
Posted: 3/17/15 at 8:38pm

I would also choose Andrews.

Also, if you buy this HipTix for 20th Century, I can't imagine them being bad. I sat in the fourth row in the mezz for Violet (which they consider the rear mezz because it's so small) and it isn't far away at ALL and a fantastic view.

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#9Broadway show or Julie Andrews?
Posted: 3/17/15 at 8:39pm

"It's only her, talking about her life, but hey: It's Julie Andrews! How can you pass her up?"

It sounds like you already know what you want to do but if you really don't and probably would enjoy either, rather than asking a bunch of strangers which type of experience would be more meaningful for you, since your parents are paying for it, why not ask them what they would prefer to see?

Jay Lerner-Z
#10Broadway show or Julie Andrews?
Posted: 3/17/15 at 9:01pm

Thanks for the info.

As for your question...what Bob said.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#11Broadway show or Julie Andrews?
Posted: 3/17/15 at 9:21pm

Just to dissent a little, if Julie can't sing (we know she can a little) and if you're not going to interact with her, I'd take the shows. Both are classics that you will remember for a long time.

I love Julie Andrews and I'm still upset that her 1972 one-hour musical variety show was cancelled after 24 episodes. (They don't have TV musical variety shows any more.)

But there are like 500 videos of Julie Andrews on the Internet. I went to check out what YouTube had on her and now I'll be listening to Julie Andrews videos for the rest of the night.

She was being interviewed tonight with the catch topic that she and Christopher Plummer had crushes on each other but refrained from any "dirty doings." Now they are still best of friends.

And then Diane Sawyer showed up to plug with Julie their hour long special (tomorrow night I think) when they return to the locations where Sound of Music was shot.

There are also rumors floating around that Julie has in secret been recording numbers for a new album.

disneybroadwayfan22
#12Broadway show or Julie Andrews?
Posted: 3/17/15 at 9:26pm

FishermanBob: I did talk to them and they would be good with any choices.

Jay Lerner-Z
#13Broadway show or Julie Andrews?
Posted: 3/17/15 at 9:28pm

Okay, I'll decide : Julie Andrews. Book now (and bring me).

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#14Broadway show or Julie Andrews?
Posted: 3/17/15 at 9:35pm

"Okay, I'll decide : Julie Andrews. Book now (and bring me)."

No... I've decided and a great production of a classic Broadway show will always be better than listening to someone sit in a chair and yak about themselves for 90 minutes... unless... she's still doing the bit at the end where she smashes a watermelon with a sledgehammer. That's amazing. Oh wait, that's Gallagher, not Julie Andrews. Don't know why but I always get those two mixed up. Never mind.

disneybroadwayfan22
#15Broadway show or Julie Andrews?
Posted: 3/17/15 at 9:48pm

ROTFL, Jay.

That's what I'm thinking too, Bob. I'm going to think about it more tomorrow and talk to my parents more about it

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#16Broadway show or Julie Andrews?
Posted: 3/17/15 at 10:00pm

Dame Andrews did a tour of "An Evening With Julie Andrews" in the UK last spring - I assume the current show is similar. Most of the discussion on theatreforum.com was not about the actual show. Here is someone's review of one evening, which may help your decision.

"Well back from seeing An Evening With Julie Andrews hosted by Aled Jones. Overall I enjoyed it. First 5 mins Aled introducing her followed by 7/8 mins of clips from films etc . Then she comes on and looks fab - stands and "chats" though sure it's all scripted about films and the theatre, child hood (her brother was in the audience by the way), some bits I had read before so weren't new but hearing them from the legend herself was very special. She talked for about 40 mins. After the interval Q and A hosted by Aled - questions had been submitted pre the start of the evening and some fun questions and obviously a few plants to move things on. Evening ended with her and Aled singing Eldweiss - the highlight of the evening.

The only issue I have is that the venues are totally wrong. It needs to be in an intimate theatre space - I would say the NIA was between half and three quarters full and the atmosphere was lost. I was on the 3rd row so was fine and dandy for me but anyone way back then the intimate feeling would have been lost. Am I glad I went YES. Would I go again a 2nd time - probably not at the £89 I paid but hey once in a lifetime to see a true broadway/west end /cinema legend."
Discussion of An Evening With Julie Andrews

LittleEdieFan
#17Broadway show or Julie Andrews?
Posted: 3/18/15 at 4:07am

I have seen the Julie Andrews show when it toured Australia. Yes, you must go. She is everything!

nicnyc Profile Photo
nicnyc
#18Broadway show or Julie Andrews?
Posted: 3/18/15 at 4:15am

I agree with the other posters who suggested that your best remedy would be to find some discounts and try to swing all three. If that is not possible, as much as I love Julie Andrews - I would probably skip seeing her talk about her life in favor of the two shows.

brdwydreamer Profile Photo
brdwydreamer
#19Broadway show or Julie Andrews?
Posted: 3/18/15 at 10:39am

I also agree with going for all three. If indeed you just can't, flip a coin; you'll know what you really want before the coin hits your palm.

Just a peace of my mind.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#20Broadway show or Julie Andrews?
Posted: 3/18/15 at 10:41am

I would go with a Broadway show.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "