pixeltracker

"Mamma Mia!" to Close on Broadway- Page 2

"Mamma Mia!" to Close on Broadway

Jonwo
#25whatttt
Posted: 4/9/15 at 7:42pm

Good call on Misery given that doesn't have a theatre yet.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#26whatttt
Posted: 4/9/15 at 7:46pm

What a shame. I just saw the tour for the first time this past weekend and I loved it. Of course it had a nice long run and I shouldn't feel sad but there is a part of me that feels a profound sense of loss whenever a long running show closes. For better or worse it can't be denied that the landscape of Broadway changes with one less offering from a long running crowd pleaser.

beautywickedlover
#27whatttt
Posted: 4/9/15 at 7:48pm

I didn't think this show would ever close because it was popular with tourists. However, it had an excellent run. Regional productions will probably happen soon.

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#28whatttt
Posted: 4/9/15 at 7:57pm

Complete fluff but it was fun and my Mom had a great time at the theatre. Sad to see it go.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#29whatttt
Posted: 4/9/15 at 7:59pm

oh my goodness this is so sad/good!! I'll have to see it before it closes! Congrats on a nice long run Mamma Mia!! Im happy though now that we have another house available on Broadway!! The producers were also really smart to give notice now. Im sure they will make good money over the summer, and then close right before labor day. 

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

broadwayjim42
#30whatttt
Posted: 4/9/15 at 8:06pm

Saw the show five times between Toronto, Broadway and the national tour and while the productions varied greatly in quality (it really depended on the energy of the cast and if it wasn't there, the show could be an endurance test), but as an ABBA junkie, I'll still kinda miss it. Haven't seen the show in about five years and may not get to go again before the closing, but it holds a special, if decidedly dippy, place in my theatregoing heart. As will Louise Pitre and Carolee Carmello's performances as Donna.

It wasn't rocket science, but when done right, it was a lot of fun. 

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#31whatttt
Posted: 4/9/15 at 8:08pm

wait a minute, the show made over $800,000 last week. Why is it closing?

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#32whatttt
Posted: 4/9/15 at 8:08pm

Why couldn't it close when it moved out for Rocky? Congrats for a great run

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#33whatttt
Posted: 4/9/15 at 8:09pm

I never got to see it whatttt and will not be able to see it. At least there's a recording of it floating around on the internet. 

It feels like a famous person has just died cause it's a long running broadway musical :'( 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#34whatttt
Posted: 4/9/15 at 8:09pm

Always love the morons who celebrate people losing their jobs.

Gross.

bwayboy7 Profile Photo
bwayboy7
#35whatttt
Posted: 4/9/15 at 8:13pm

So sad to see it close.  Not sure how I feel about this sequel ugh...

Congrats on the great run!

VintageSnarker
#36whatttt
Posted: 4/9/15 at 8:23pm

"Shocking, but at the same time, its about time."

That's pretty much my feeling. It seemed like it would be closing eventually but I wasn't expecting this announcement today. At least it's staying until September and not just closing in a week. I enjoyed the show when I saw it with Louise Pitre (I think it was later in the run after she left and then came back). It's not a great show but it's a fun time if you like ABBA. And I do.

Hairspray0901
#37whatttt
Posted: 4/9/15 at 9:20pm

i personally LOVE Mamma Mia! and am very sad to see it go. I'm shocked it's closing, given it's grosses during the summer and high tourist times in the winter. At least the cast/crew was given some [5 months] notice...

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#38whatttt
Posted: 4/9/15 at 9:38pm

But the thing is...it's show BUSINESS. As Michael Bennett said on his deathbed, "No show runs forever." So Sutton Ross, stop your pearl-clutching. 

All I will say is, this is the only show on Broadway that refused to comp Elaine Stritch. (According to Stritch, that is.) 

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#39Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/9/15 at 9:49pm

I am saddened by the close.  We are all so quick to bash a musical.  I recall how many people loved this show and felt it was a nice light so quickly after 9-11.  I know it was nice to be able to go to the theater and just have a fun night out and not to have to worry about what was going on in the world.  Fluff CAN be and IS important.  Congrats to the amazing cast and crew of Mamma Mia. Good Run. 

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#40Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/9/15 at 9:51pm

I can understand that it brought some much needed joy to an audience during and after those dark days. Good point.

But nearly FIFTEEN YEARS?!?! Fluff shouldn't run that long. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#41Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/9/15 at 10:14pm

this should have never switched theaters and closed two years ago. We'll now see this produced in every regional & community theater & every high school over the next ten years.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Famebroadway2 Profile Photo
Famebroadway2
#42Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/9/15 at 10:14pm

The Broadway production was VERY tired when I saw it in August. I mean REALLY, REALLY tired. Seeing it in previews and then last year was like seeing 2 completely different shows. It's time for it to go. 

broadwayboy223
#43Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/9/15 at 10:19pm

All I have to say is THANK GOD. Its about time this closed. I think there is a place for Mamma Mia but its about time it ended.

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#44Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/9/15 at 10:22pm

"All I will say is, this is the only show on Broadway that refused to comp Elaine Stritch. (According to Stritch, that is.)"

So what, good for them.

"But nearly FIFTEEN YEARS?!?! Fluff shouldn't run that long."

A well constructed show that people have loved?  Why not?

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#45Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/9/15 at 10:26pm

Hey, Stritch would have danced the pants off of everyone in that audience for the finale. Black tights and all. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#46Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/9/15 at 10:51pm

"Always love the morons who celebrate people losing their jobs."

Oh god, not this again. No one is celebrating the loss of jobs. That's just an unfortunate part of a show closing. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#47Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/9/15 at 10:53pm

Always love the morons who celebrate people losing their job.

Get over yourself. I've used this analogy before but if a restaurant you hate and think has crappy food is it bad to want it to close so something else potentially better could take its place? No. On Broadway there is no such thing as job security. The cast and crew there should be over the moon the that they've been able to have a job on Broadway for over a decade, but it's back to the auditions. It's part of the life as an actor or anyone working in a touch and go industry. You want job security? Go work in medical.

I was able to see the show on Broadway back years ago when Carolee was running the show and it was such a fun time. 

Updated On: 4/9/15 at 10:53 PM

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#48Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/9/15 at 11:26pm

Crap, have never seen it and nearly got a ticket for the other night and than thought bugger it can see it when I come back in February.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

FindingNamo
#49Mamma Mia!
Posted: 4/9/15 at 11:29pm

HOORAY!  PEOPLE ARE LOSING THEIR JOBS!!!! Ah HAHAHAHA.  CAPITALISM IS COLLAPSING AT LAST.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Videos