pixeltracker

FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews- Page 5

FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews

Wilmingtom
#100FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:56pm

"Interesting to note that in his review, Jesse Green indicated that he is very high on The King and I."

What he indicated was that the authors of K&I were able to play fast and loose with certain historical facts and make it work whereas he didn't feel Neverland was successful in that regard.

Updated On: 4/16/15 at 11:56 PM

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#101FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 1:06am

"There have been LOTS of people here that loved it."

Correct-- count me among them, from one who expected to loathe it. Had a huge smile on my face most of the afternoon at last Sunday's matinee. And I agree that it will continue to do great business, raves or no raves. It could be the WICKED of this decade!

Updated On: 4/16/15 at 01:06 AM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#102FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 1:24am

I still think FINDING NEVERLAND gets that 4th nomination over VEGAS.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#103FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 1:44am

^ Based on reviews alone Vegas, Last Ship and Shoulda would get the nomination over Neverland.  

Fun Home

An American In Paris

Something Rotten

The Visit

Up In One

sctrojan65
#104FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 1:58am

"I also loved this one, but I'm expecting the reviews to be mixed. The show really divided everyone here on the boards who saw it, and I expect the politics surrounding it could also play a part in tonight's proceedings. "

What's been interesting is how several of the shows that have been showing in previews have divided the posters on here.  AinP, as well.  Yet it seems like AinP is getting good reviews, while FN is not.  

What's up next?  Something Rotten?  Also getting good and not so good reviews with posters on here.  So who knows what the critics will think of that one, as well?

It seems the only musical that is getting mostly good reviews is Fun Home.

Personally I liked all 4 of them (AinP, FN, SR, FH).  If any of them were to close quicker than people would have thought, at least I got to see them.  And I'm glad I did.  Regardless of what the critics say, I thought they were good.

Like you Cupid, I really liked FN.  

notalwaysontime Profile Photo
notalwaysontime
#105FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 4:42am

It's very interesting, skimming through pictures of opening night tonight. The guest list so far looks more like one for a hollywood film premiere than a Broadway Opening night, which I think sums a lot of stuff up when it comes to this show. I mean have any of the reviews even mentioned this show's leading lady in more than just passing? They all give Matt and Kelsey some at least slightly detailed mentions, but overall, it's pretty clear this show is not targeted toward a theater crowd which leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

After Eight
#106FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 5:50am

Updated On: 5/3/15 at 05:50 AM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#107FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 6:34am

"...it's pretty clear this show is not targeted toward a theater crowd which leaves a bitter taste in my mouth."

Folks, it's a billion dollar industry, not the theater department of a small New England college.  Shows are targeted toward people who will pay these huge prices.  I never understand the odd elitism about a business that is, well, a business.  As it always has been.  

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#108FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 6:46am

^Amen.

The lead producer KNOWS Hollywood people...of course they will be there.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

rnoodge
#109FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 7:17am

Double Amen.

brdway411
#110FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 8:07am

Fun Home (Public) Meh (Should win), not my cup of tea

Rotten Meh fun ( could win) for the first 30 minutes was expecting a better ending and second act! 

Finding Neverland totally enjoyed, although I did just lose a close family member and some it hit home. Didn't see the movie until after the show and I like pop scores. my pick for Tony. 

An American in Paris. I was bored. they changed the story to much and the songs too short. I loves me some Gershwin but this was a tough pill to swallow. 

maybe 

The Visit (Have not seen it) 

SIDE SHOW was my favorite musical this season. I know revival. but both me and husband moved beyond belief. I never saw the original but it has some of my favorite music. and I think this production was under rated. King and I will most likely take the prize this year (haven't seen it yet)  

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#111FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 8:12am

I don't know about that.

OTT and 20th Century both received great notices.

....but the world goes 'round

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#112FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 8:17am

"I was at the show Friday night, and the applause was THUNDEROUS. "

My twenty something daughters saw it last week while visiting NYC and loved it, especially the Act 1 closing number. They liked it more than "American In Paris" which surprised me because they are dance professionals (dance in dance companies, teach and create choreography). I think this show will last awhile even with the reviews due to it being about "Peter Pan" and the popularity of Matthew Morrison. BTW - my daughters said the entire audience got a good laugh at the "Cheers" reference. 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#113FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 8:22am

"I don't know about that.
OTT and 20th Century both received great notices."

So did Side Show, yet that closed at such a monumental loss.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#114FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 8:40am

"I have no interest in this show, regardless of reviews, but the fairy line, seriously? Ugh. What a terrible (and slightly homophobic) joke. I'm glad the show is getting called out on it."

When I saw an early preview, there was one other (literal) WTF moment when an actor in rehearsal mouthed those very words to the audience in response to something Barrie said. Does anyone know if that's still in the show?

Despite a handful of very weird, anachronistic choices like that one, I liked Finding Neverland quite a bit.

Updated On: 4/16/15 at 08:40 AM

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#115FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 8:50am

Josh Lamon's moment of mouthing WTF (not the initials) was present for the whole Cambridge run. (As was "Excuse me, sir, do you believe fairies?" with Paul Slade Smith answering "My good man, I work in the theater, I see them every day.")

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#116FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 9:11am

"I was at the show Friday night, and the applause was THUNDEROUS. "

Maybe Broadway should have its own People's Choice awards. Thunderous applause and standing O's seem to be a part of the expected audience experience and part of the ticket price regardless of its artistic merit.

Up In One

aj88
#117FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 9:17am

I agree about the standing ovations. They almost seem to be guaranteed no matter what with most shows nowadays. This season, the only show I saw in which I didn't see a single soul stand at the end of the show (at least in the entire mezzanine) was Honeymoon in Vegas. 

I think one of the crazier experiences was when I saw Aladdin because even before the lights went out, people started standing to applaud....people love that magic carpet. 

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#118FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 9:19am

"I think one of the crazier experiences was when I saw Aladdin because even before the lights went out, people started standing to applaud....people love that magic carpet"

When I saw "Aladdin" last August, nobody stood until James Monroe Iglehart took his bow.

Updated On: 4/16/15 at 09:19 AM

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#119FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 9:22am

"Maybe Broadway should have its own People's Choice awards. Thunderous applause and standing O's seem to be a part of the expected audience experience and part of the ticket price regardless of its artistic merit."

"Matilda" and "Newsies" were the only two shows I have seen in recent memory that there was a standing ovation immediately. The others had some people standing only when the lead actor and actress came out for their bows.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#120FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 9:25am

"I hope Finding Neverland runs a long time  just to stick it to the lot of them."

I always enjoy it when a show succeeds without critical acclaim and hope this is one of them.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#121FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 9:38am

"Sauja,that's just silly, there have been LOTS of people here that loved it.  

Dramamama, I should have clarified! I meant in my regular life. I haven't heard anyone be as negative about it as some of the comments I've heard about Zhivago, but I've also just not heard anyone (in the random sample that is people I know) who has liked it. Again, I don't mean to criticize a show I haven't seen. I just haven't heard good things about it. I'll still see it! And I'll still hold out hope that I am one who loves it.

Also, I forgot a musical I really liked this season. In addition to Fun Home and Something Rotten, I was also really taken with The Last Ship. So you know I'm really not against loving things that have been thrashed by the critics!

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#122FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 11:14am

Is it really critic proof though? One would have thought Disney's The Little Mermaid was critic proof and that didn't last very long.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...
Updated On: 4/16/15 at 11:14 AM

Mattbrain
#123FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 11:22am

"One would have  Disney's The Little Mermaid was critic proof and that didn't last very long."

685 performances suddenly counts as not very long?

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."
Updated On: 4/16/15 at 11:22 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#124FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 11:24am

It's a respectable run, but considering the title, it should've run for years. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Videos