Struggling...

#1Struggling...
Posted: 5/4/15 at 10:59pm

Okay, so I am supposed to be going to see The Visit on Sunday June 7th and it states in Chita's contract that she can't do two shows a day. And some Aladdin tickets just opened up. Would it be worth it to switch to Aladdin if Chita wasn't performing that day, but was performing at the Tonys?

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#2Struggling...
Posted: 5/4/15 at 11:01pm

Absolutely.

FindingNamo
#2Struggling...
Posted: 5/4/15 at 11:03pm

Jesus Lord.  If Chita's not performing, Donna McKechnie would be so THAT would be something to see.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#3Struggling...
Posted: 5/4/15 at 11:05pm

I didn't know that about Chita's contract...and I've been dying to see her. I'm seeing the matinee May 30th (Saturday). Was that a bad decision to make? (obviously Donna is wonderful and I wouldn't complain or cancel, but I was so excited to see Chita in the flesh)

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4Struggling...
Posted: 5/4/15 at 11:07pm

it states in Chita's contract that she can't do two shows a day

Where is this coming from? Donna just said in an interview that has no scheduled performances as of yet.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#5Struggling...
Posted: 5/4/15 at 11:09pm

whew thank god, i was freaking out for a sec

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

barbraboy1990
#6Struggling...
Posted: 5/4/15 at 11:09pm

I was told on two separate occasions by Telecharge, that it was in her contract that she does not have to perform at matinee shows on two show days.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#7Struggling...
Posted: 5/4/15 at 11:11pm

Chita has not missed one performance yet. Maybe she has the option to take a matinee off, but she hasn't.

Donna said this

Still, waiting in the wings can be nerve-racking. “I feel lucky to be there, but then I’m thinking, ‘Oh my God, I’m going to be very nervous if I have to go onstage,’ ” admits McKechnie, who, at 72, is 10 years younger than Rivera. “But I don’t worry about Chita — she’s healthy, she’s going to be fine. I just want to learn the role so I can do it at some point in my life. I’m hoping it’ll be later than sooner, OK?

Doesn't specifically state that she has no scheduled performances, but certainly doesn't have expectations to definitely go on. 

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#8Struggling...
Posted: 5/4/15 at 11:18pm

The show is incredible, and I would love to see Donna in the role.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#9Struggling...
Posted: 5/5/15 at 5:48am

Well someone gave them disinformation, then.  I saw Chita at a matinee. As others have said, she hasn't missed a performance yet.

Here is never any guarantee, but if she IS out, you be part of a very small group that gets to see McKechnie! 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Annetteiago
#10Struggling...
Posted: 5/5/15 at 6:05am

"Well someone gave them disinformation, then.  I saw Chita at a matinee. As others have said, she hasn't missed a performance yet.
Here is never any guarantee, but if she IS out, you be part of a very small group that gets to see McKechnie! "

Its not like Donna got a tony award or anything or did a big role in Broadway History.  Its not like the Musical got a Pulitzer, a Tony or lasted 15 years. I definatly miss her its not like she was any good in that role.

Updated On: 5/5/15 at 06:05 AM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#11Struggling...
Posted: 5/5/15 at 6:08am

The Visit with anyone is better than Aladdin.

Being guaranteed to see Chita or Donna should make this a no-brainer.

SEE THE VISIT!!!

....but the world goes 'round

ImpossiblePrincess
#12Struggling...
Posted: 5/5/15 at 6:34am

Is there not only a 3pm show on a Sunday? Or is that changing?  I saw it on a Sunday and Chita was on and was also a delight to all the people waiting to see her afterwards. Go see The Visit over Aladdin for sure!!!

brdway411
#13Struggling...
Posted: 5/5/15 at 8:07am

I saw Chita last Wed  Matinee .. She was great. The show not so great. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#14Struggling...
Posted: 5/5/15 at 10:02am

Princess...the OP is asssuming that the Tonys would be a second performance....which would only be one song, so even if here alternate/understudy was doing one performance on a two show day, I doubt the tony perf would qualify.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ImpossiblePrincess
#15Struggling...
Posted: 5/5/15 at 10:30am

Ahhhhh gotcha. Thanks. 

Updated On: 5/5/15 at 10:30 AM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#16Struggling...
Posted: 5/5/15 at 10:43am

I don't know who you talked to at Telecharge, or why they would even divulge private information regarding Chita Rivera's contract-- or know what's in it, but I'm calling bullish*t.

If Chita was scheduled not to play matinees or certain performances either regularly or for a limited period, there would be an announcement on Telecharge.com stating this, there would be a listing in the Playbill calling Donna McKechnie an ALTERNATE, not an understudy/stand-by...this would be publicized widely. Seeing that Chita is the production's main draw, I don't know why the producers would even TRY to keep such information from the public. 

I also saw her on a matinee. She hasn't missed a performance yet-- matinee or evening. I think it's safe to say you'll see her before the Tony Awards. She's a trouper. But regardless, seeing the brilliant Donna McKechnie in the part wouldn't be a bad thing, either. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#17Struggling...
Posted: 5/5/15 at 11:11am

I would see The Visit over Aladdin any day.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Glitter
#18Struggling...
Posted: 5/5/15 at 11:53am

there is absolutely 100%  no such clause in Chita's contract.  On double show days, she does two a day just like everyone else. Telecharge is mistaken.

Updated On: 5/5/15 at 11:53 AM

Videos