HorseTears
#2Airline Highway will close early
Posted: 5/12/15 at 7:57pm

Sorry, bisexuals.  

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#2Airline Highway will close early
Posted: 5/12/15 at 7:59pm

It's only a week, not like a month early.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#3Airline Highway will close early
Posted: 5/12/15 at 8:18pm

Not the best show We ever saw but We did enjoy it nonetheless .

This is Broadway. **** happens.Feel sorry for the actors however.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 5/12/15 at 08:18 PM

FindingNamo
#4Airline Highway will close early
Posted: 5/12/15 at 8:52pm

The Mrs and I used to urge people to see all the flopping shows we always see but they would close early anyway so now we no longer say anything it is not worth it we used to care but no more.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#5Airline Highway will close early
Posted: 5/12/15 at 9:28pm

Namo... you just made my night. 

LightsOut90
#6Airline Highway will close early
Posted: 5/12/15 at 9:36pm

strange for a subscriber theater, when was the last time this happened at MTC?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#7Airline Highway will close early
Posted: 5/12/15 at 9:40pm

Cutting their losses as the grosses were not going to get any better.

Poster Emeritus

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#8Airline Highway will close early
Posted: 5/12/15 at 9:47pm

What losses? Wasn't the initial run already accounted for in their annual budget?

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#9Airline Highway will close early
Posted: 5/12/15 at 10:06pm

Sad news. I really loved it and I'll try to see it one more time before it goes.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

Islander_fan
#10Airline Highway will close early
Posted: 5/13/15 at 2:22am

Like others in this thread stated, it's only closing early by a week. It's not like they made an out of the blue announcement that the show is closing this Sunday or anything to that effect. 

However, I could understand if it were a commercial run and it was loosing money because very few people were seeing it and they decided to close early due to that. But, with that being said, that's not the case. It's a show that is co produced by two non profits, Manhattan Theatre Club and Steppenwolf. What would the major downside be for having the show run for those last eight performances instead of closing it a week early? As stated earlier I agree that a "cut their losses" thought process would make sense if this were a commercial run, which it's not. 

LarryD2
#11Airline Highway will close early
Posted: 5/13/15 at 8:38am

"However, I could understand if it were a commercial run and it was loosing money because very few people were seeing it and they decided to close early due to that. But, with that being said, that's not the case. It's a show that is co produced by two non profits, Manhattan Theatre Club and Steppenwolf. What would the major downside be for having the show run for those last eight performances instead of closing it a week early?"

The final week of every MTC show is an open week--i.e., it's outside of the show's subscription run. On top of that, most shows have extension weeks written into the contract, which they can choose to take or not. What MTC is doing here is choosing to end their run early, at the end of the subscription period, because they don't believe there is sufficient interest to keep the show running once the subscription period is over, even for a week. It's happened before. If I recall correctly, TO BE OR NOT TO BE closed ahead of schedule, and I think THE VIOLET HOUR did too.

brdwydreamer Profile Photo
brdwydreamer
#12Airline Highway will close early
Posted: 5/13/15 at 11:15am

I really loved this one my-self; Some fantastic acting all across the board. Crazy industry we're in! C'est la vie.

Just a peace of my mind.

broadfan327
#13Airline Highway will close early
Posted: 5/13/15 at 1:24pm

Women on the Verge at Lincoln Center Theater, another non-profit house, I believe closed a week early as well.

LightsOut90
#14Airline Highway will close early
Posted: 5/13/15 at 4:25pm

^ thats a different situation. 

neonlightsxo
#15Airline Highway will close early
Posted: 5/13/15 at 4:43pm

LarryD, I really appreciate your insight on this. That is really helpful info to have. Thanks for sharing, I didn't realize that was how this worked.

broadfan, no. Not the same. At all.

broadfan327
#16Airline Highway will close early
Posted: 5/13/15 at 5:25pm

Other than LCT not owning the Belasco, how is it different?

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#17Airline Highway will close early
Posted: 5/13/15 at 5:29pm

That production closed three weeks earlier than scheduled and with only five days notice.

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#18Airline Highway will close early
Posted: 5/15/15 at 11:19pm

Just saw this tonight, and walked home in tears. 

This is an example how brilliant ensemble acting and direction can elevate a so-so play into something really wonderful. Every single actor up there was fully invested, and created a fully fleshed out character, many of whom I felt connected with. 

and with all the amazing acting, it's still the incredible Julie White that rises a little bit above the rest. She was phenomenal and heartbreaking. 

Until tonight I thought Ashford would be taking home the tony for Supporting actress/play. White just won the award in my book. I really hope that she takes home the trophy on Tony night. Her performance will remain in my memory for a very long time.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

Videos