pixeltracker

Hamilton - Best Musical 2016?- Page 2

Hamilton - Best Musical 2016?

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#25Hamilton - Best Musical 2016?
Posted: 5/25/15 at 6:36pm

As it's been said many times, aside from housing the off-Broadway premieres, The Public has no significant stakes in either show now, except for the pride of helping to launch them. Fun Home and Hamilton aren't being presented on Broadway by The Public Theater.

Next season has a lot of question marks. There's a good mix of shows coming in that are totally new and shows that have been seen in other versions. 

Falling
#26Hamilton - Best Musical 2016?
Posted: 5/25/15 at 6:37pm

I doubt The Public gave a hoot which show came this season. I will say something that struck me was they had to hype up the press release stating they were waiting. Why couldn't they have gone the normal route? I think between that and the constant posting of pics with famous people who could get in while the people the theatre is supposed to serve couldn't get in typically I was a little jaded with the whole thing. 

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#27Hamilton - Best Musical 2016?
Posted: 5/25/15 at 6:40pm

I don't think the Public has much say over that matter, per say, if not wanting their shows to "compete." I say this because, be it may that they have producer credit on the shows, I'm sure that there are bigger, more powerful producers who could've made Hamilton's transfer happen this season if they really wanted too.

I think it was foolish and rushed that Hamilton decided to open this summer. They may or may not sweep the 2016 Tonys, it all depends on next season; but I firmly believe hype will die down sooner than they hope it too next year. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#28Hamilton - Best Musical 2016?
Posted: 5/25/15 at 7:27pm

They had an event to announce their plans because they pretty much had to. The question of when Hamilton was transferring was a major earlier this year. Why shouldn't they capitalize on it? And why shouldn't they capitalize on the influential people seeing the show? 

It's a rare thing to see a totally original musical- and one with NO major names involved- to become such a major hit, even downtown. Why resent a show actually utilizing that success? 

Hamilton is going to continue dominating. Its summer opening won't affect things- it is already doing numbers that most musicals would kill for. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#29Hamilton - Best Musical 2016?
Posted: 5/25/15 at 7:35pm

^^^ I agree that the numbers are good, but just to play devil's advocate: It seems that a large percentage of tickets are being bought by scalpers, who are attempting to resell on StubHub. It will be interesting to see how this ends up. Will the scalpers be successful selling tickets for $100 or $150 above the listed price? Is there enough of a market for premium-priced tickets that are not in premium locations? Or will tickets start to be discounted as the performance date draws near?

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#30Hamilton - Best Musical 2016?
Posted: 5/25/15 at 7:45pm

It doesn't really matter if the scalpers are successful selling tickets- they've already been sold, and the production has gotten the payment. I don't think the production itself will be putting out discounts for a while.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#31Hamilton - Best Musical 2016?
Posted: 5/25/15 at 9:19pm

THE PUBLIC THEATER certainly profits from both FUN HOME and HAMILTON. HAMILTON may not be the GIANT hit everyone is predicting. Selling out the small Theatre at THE PUBLIC is very different than a Broadway House.  The percentage of shows that have opened in the Summer that are remembered at TONY time is smaller than you think. You can point out one or two shows that have beat the odds but it ain't a slam dunk. The quick move may have been a $ thing. HAMILTON is basically a small show, one set, no star salaries, they are hoping (and probably will) turn a profit but nothing is written "in stone" yet.  And hey, We haven't even had this year's TONY's yet!  A FUNHOME win (which I predict) can hurt HAMILTON's chances because they are both "artsy" and not really "mainstream".

LightsOut90
#32Hamilton - Best Musical 2016?
Posted: 5/25/15 at 9:23pm

Bobby and Kristen Lopez new musical Up There is probably coming next spring, thats a HUGE wildcard 

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#33Hamilton - Best Musical 2016?
Posted: 5/25/15 at 9:35pm

I just hope potentials for next year aren't scared off by this "mammoth sweeping hit" coming our way. As a poster mentioned above and if that is the case, it could in fact be a boring and slow year for new musicals next year. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#34Hamilton - Best Musical 2016?
Posted: 5/25/15 at 9:38pm

As far as musicals are concerned, the only one that sounds remotely interesting is Hamilton

A friend of ours went to a reading (I believe) of Amazing Grace. He was not thrilled with it. Had zero interest in it before & now even less.

Poster Emeritus

FindingNamo
#35Hamilton - Best Musical 2016?
Posted: 5/25/15 at 9:57pm

Is less than no interest some interest?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#36Hamilton - Best Musical 2016?
Posted: 5/25/15 at 10:44pm

I don't know how anyone can say, today, that it will win the Tony. You don't even know what the competition will be. What if something like a FUN HOME or a BILLY ELLIOT or a BOOK OF MORMON a comes along....we just don't know yet. Let the season play out.

What sucks for all new shows this season is that the first word of mouth question will be "Is it as good as HAMILTON?"

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#37Hamilton - Best Musical 2016?
Posted: 5/25/15 at 10:47pm

^ My thoughts exactly, CapnHook. There will undoubtedly be at least one or two shows that will announce Broadway openings for next season that we nothing about as of right now. It's not possible to call right now IMHO.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#38Hamilton - Best Musical 2016?
Posted: 5/25/15 at 10:50pm

It is a bit reminiscent of when people who saw MATILDA in London kept saying "OMG this will be the Tony winner when it comes to Broadway!"

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

FindingNamo
#39Hamilton - Best Musical 2016?
Posted: 5/25/15 at 10:51pm

There is puh-lenty of time for the Hamilton backlash to brew up a full head of steam.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#40Hamilton - Best Musical 2016?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 12:33am

I would be delighted if something came along that was better than Hamilton. That would be a gift. But I don't think that's going to happen. 

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#41Hamilton - Best Musical 2016?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 12:40am

"I don't think Duncan Sheik wrote February House."

That would be the also wonderful Gabriel Kahane, whose score was my favorite part of that delightful little oddball of a show.

The buzz for Hamilton obviously is in its favor right now, but it's much too early to even pretend to be able to predict it. I would love to see them sweep, but we'll just have to wait.

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#42Hamilton - Best Musical 2016?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 2:24am

Probably between Hamilton & Shuffle Along but who knows...

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#43Hamilton - Best Musical 2016?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 7:52am

It's a foregone conclusion that it will win Best Musical.

Whether it takes other categories or not it's of course too soon to tell.

....but the world goes 'round

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#44Hamilton - Best Musical 2016?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 8:44am

I don't think ANYTHING is a foregone conclusion.  Will I be suprised if it does? Not at all.   But I'd rather wait and see what else come down the pike.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Brick
#45Hamilton - Best Musical 2016?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 12:05pm

"It's a foregone conclusion that it will win Best Musical.
Whether it takes other categories or not it's of course too soon to tell.
 "

Bingo. I agree it will hold on to its hype and still be a box office smash come Tony time. I also think it's true there will be a backlash, as always, and that backlash will line up behind another show or two. Not to mention, there might be some genuinely wonderful shows opening, as well. So, I think it's completely possible it takes the top prize but doesn't sweep.

Now, if it had come this season, I think it would have swept. Happy to see it didn't, so truly great crop of shows this year had a fighting chance.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#46Hamilton - Best Musical 2016?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 12:21pm

There is puh-lenty of time for the Hamilton backlash to brew up a full head of steam.

By Christmas, hating Hamilton will be the hip new hashtag.  The cool kids will be starting an online petition to champion some flop that's not selling.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

ebontoyan
#47Hamilton - Best Musical 2016?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 1:46pm

"A friend of ours went to a reading (I believe) of Amazing Grace. He was not thrilled with it. Had zero interest in it before & now even less."

I saw Amazing Grace tryout in Chicago and loved it! I will be planning a trip to NYC to watch it there. It is not religious and preachy despite its title.  I hope it will catch on with Broadway audiences and prove its detractors wrong. 

SnoopyQc Profile Photo
SnoopyQc
#48Hamilton - Best Musical 2016?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 2:07pm

"I can't see HAMILTON not being popular-- It's contemporary. It'll do great with school groups. For those of you predicting that tourists won't go and it won't do well on tour, give me one good reason why."

Believe it or not, people outside USA don't know about Alexander Hamilton. I live in Canada and I like history. But, the first time I heard about him was when Lin Manuel Miranda perform that song in the White House. It was the same for all the people I ask. Of course, I really want to see this show (in my next New York trip), but it was to see LMM's work. So it's not sure that foreign tourists will go to see the show (evan, if i really want the show to have an international succeed).

Maybe I do not speak English as well as you, but I can perfectly pronounce the names of all characters of Les Misérables.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#49Hamilton - Best Musical 2016?
Posted: 5/26/15 at 2:29pm

If any scalpers are reading this:

Buying tickets to Hamilton is a really bad investment. Tickets will be lying around, unsold. Tourists and students will avoid Hamilton because it's a dry history lesson. Older folks hate hip-hop. The only Tony that Hamilton will win is Best Design of a Sippy Cup. Dump all your Hamilton tickets now and cut your losses!

Updated On: 5/26/15 at 02:29 PM