pixeltracker

School Of Rock, pre Broadway showcases- Page 5

School Of Rock, pre Broadway showcases

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#100School of Rock, pre-Broadway showcases
Posted: 6/12/15 at 1:15am

Any word on any other preview presentations at Gramercy? I am so bummed I missed this. 

Updated On: 6/12/15 at 01:15 AM

BeNice Profile Photo
BeNice
#101School of Rock, pre-Broadway showcases
Posted: 6/12/15 at 4:01am

Saw this tonight. This is going to be a huge hit. Obviously the kids and Alex Brightman are great but Sara Chase just blew me away as well. 

I heard her talking after the show that she won't be doing it on Bway because she is filming Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. While I'm excited for that I am bummed I won't see her at the Winter Garden.

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#102School of Rock, pre-Broadway showcases
Posted: 6/12/15 at 5:30am

If Sara doesn't do it one would think Sierra Boggess will once ISBY closes.

JustBe23
#103School of Rock, pre-Broadway showcases
Posted: 6/12/15 at 9:45am

You think Sierra Boggess would do School of Rock? I liked this showing, but I really can't see her doing this.

GreasedLightning
#104School of Rock, pre-Broadway showcases
Posted: 6/12/15 at 10:34am

"You think Sierra Boggess would do School of Rock? I liked this showing, but I really can't see her doing this."

I couldn't exactly "see" her doing ISBY, either, yet here we are. SOR seems to have much more of a promising outcome, as well. 

BeNice Profile Photo
BeNice
#105School of Rock, pre-Broadway showcases
Posted: 6/12/15 at 11:34am

Well Sara Chase will be missed. She is phenomenal.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#106School of Rock, pre-Broadway showcases
Posted: 6/12/15 at 4:04pm

Officially announced that Sierra is doing it! 

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/UPDATE-Its-Official-Sierra-Boggess-Will-Join-SCHOOL-OF-ROCK-on-Broadway-20150612

A1st
#107School of Rock, pre-Broadway showcases
Posted: 6/12/15 at 4:11pm

Interesting that the article doesn't say anything about the future of It Shoulda Been You... 

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#108School of Rock, pre-Broadway showcases
Posted: 6/12/15 at 4:26pm

I think Sierra will be good in this role, plus this show seems a lot better than It Shoulda Been You. Sierra is silly, funny, and goofy so i can't wait to see what she brings to the role!!

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

JustBe23
#109School of Rock, pre-Broadway showcases
Posted: 6/12/15 at 4:40pm

Wow, totally eating my hat. She'll be marvelous.

RW3
#110School of Rock, pre-Broadway showcases
Posted: 6/12/15 at 10:07pm

Broadway.com has posted full videos of their press day performances

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCFiJcrHf1k (You're in the Band)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2wGtlfD19w (Stick it to the Man)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2CEc-N9ipY (Teacher's Pet)

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#111School of Rock, pre-Broadway showcases
Posted: 6/12/15 at 11:21pm

I don't know about Sierra. I thought her vocals in It Shoulda Been You were pretty lackluster, especially on her big number. Her voice doesn't sit well in that pop sensibility, which I imagine this show has a ton of.

CoreyRyan3
#112School of Rock, pre-Broadway showcases
Posted: 6/13/15 at 1:55am

Wow, I actually really enjoyed all the songs that Broadway.com posted on their YouTube. Especially "Stick it to the Man". If the rest of the show is like this, it smells like a hit.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#113School of Rock, pre-Broadway showcases
Posted: 6/13/15 at 2:01am

How can one get an invite to this? Feel free to PM me if anyone has some info on this. Thanks!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Brian07663NJ
#114School of Rock, pre-Broadway showcases
Posted: 6/13/15 at 9:00am

I admit I was not paying attention to news about School of Rock. I never saw the movie. Last minute I decided to see if I could go. Thought possibly I could get a ticket at the box office if anyone cancelled - no luck. Figured what the heck...I've seen people work the line (never did this) "one ticket, anyone have one ticket..." Nothing. Everyone went in. I was on the curb like a hungry orphan looking in the frost covered window while everyone inside prepared for their feast. Then one patron started walking back out. He was holding a ticket and looking at it. He walked directly towards me and said "you look like you really want this!" Omg I was shocked. "How much do I owe you??" He replied, "nothing, it's a comp, my friend couldn't attend, you should enjoy it." I did get his business card and am going to write a VERY heartfelt thank you. 

It it was open seating. I sat behind the sound/light board, up a few steps which was perfect view over the "orchestra" (folding chairs on a flat floor). The entire show Andrew Lloyd Webber was at the lighting board mouthing the words to the songs. I struggled to decide if I watch him engrossed in watching his baby breath life on the stage or the performers!

With zero expectations I left the theatre completely sold. This is going to be a hit! This was everything that Matilda was not for me. The kids are (insert expletive) talented! They sing, play the instruments, have great expressions, timing....

if if that wasn't enough to swell my heart with pride a specific song that was sung in act one ripped my heart out "if only you would listen." How many kids of busy parents just wish their parents would slow down and pay attention to them? A reprise in act 2 (appropriately circle around and use) brought more tears to my eyes and if that wasn't enough the end was great (not giving it away) and exit music brought it around again! I was walking in 23rd St on my phone boasting to friends with tears running down my face "I'm fine...but I just saw the most amazing new show! Etc etc"

I loved the characters. I felt for them. I really enjoyed the music. I cared about the story. If I had any negative comment it would be in act one when a song finished (I hadn't read the song list) I kept thinking "wow that's how they are ending act 1, great" nope next scene and song. Then another great song...each great!

Jay94
#115School of Rock, pre-Broadway showcases
Posted: 6/13/15 at 10:23am

Andrew Lloyd Webber is back?

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#116School of Rock, pre-Broadway showcases
Posted: 6/13/15 at 11:33am

Hey Brian - Thanks so much for that...  Happy to get a bit more details and to hear such positive feedback.  It seems that ALW has taken some of his more recent (at least commercial) failures and learned gone back to basics on what makes a hit - good story, relatable characters that you care about, solid score...  when any of those is a bit off it falls apart (I.e.:  Stephen Ward - the characters and story was a bit of a mess and the music was so so; Woman in White the music was beautiful but again the story and the characters were a bit of a mess)

With the addition of Sierra, now I'm sold... gotta pick a date to buy tickets for it.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#117School of Rock, pre-Broadway showcases
Posted: 6/13/15 at 12:04pm

This will be Broadway's next long-running hit. I was blown away when I caught this the other day. I think Alex Brightman is giving a powerhouse performance that will be difficult not to remember come Tony time. I also want to have 4 of those kids nominated...WOW. Most of all, the score was the best surprise. It is untraditional ALW and sounds so fresh and new and catchy and just...just...THRILLING!! I want the cast album NOW.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

snarkmachine
#118School of Rock, pre-Broadway showcases
Posted: 6/13/15 at 12:12pm

Alex Brightman is already getting on my nerves in a five minute preview.

The kids are undoubtedly talented musicians but none of them can act unfortunately.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#119School of Rock, pre-Broadway showcases
Posted: 6/13/15 at 12:47pm

Regarding Sara Chase saying she is not doing the Broadway run due to Kimmie Schmidt...it strikes me as a sad, typical example of an actor trying to save face. Her role in Kimmie Schmidt is small, and I doubt she would have to miss too many performances of School of Rock to film it. ALW obviously wanted Boggess the whole time, and since It Shoulda Been You will obviously be closing soon, he was able to get her even though she wasn't available for the workshop.

That said, I feel bad for Chase. Boggess is already having a charmed career. This could have been Chase's big break, and instead the role is going to the girl who already has everything.

VintageSnarker
#120School of Rock, pre-Broadway showcases
Posted: 6/13/15 at 12:57pm

"I'm pretty excited for this except one problem: Glenn Slater. Are his lyrics good (Sister Act), semi-serviceable (Little Mermaid) or just atrocious (Leap of Faith) this time around?"

Where have you been, new friend? I was so happy to hear during that talk with Alan Menken that he's doing a bunch of projects without Slater. For the non-Broadway/theatre projects I'd put Tangled at semi-serviceable minus Mother Gothel's song which is actually good and Galavant at semi-serviceable to atrocious depending on the song. I was afraid that we were going to have to organize a rescue party to save Menken.

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#121School of Rock, pre-Broadway showcases
Posted: 6/13/15 at 1:50pm

Considering taking my students.  What is the view from the rear mezzanine like at the Winter Garden?

Jonwo
#122School of Rock, pre-Broadway showcases
Posted: 6/13/15 at 7:22pm

Considering it's not opening for a few more months, it sounds like it's in solid shape and it can only improve, 

GreasedLightning
#123School of Rock, pre-Broadway showcases
Posted: 6/13/15 at 8:39pm

"Considering taking my students.  What is the view from the rear mezzanine like at the Winter Garden?"

Make sure you are in the CENTER of the rear-mezzanine, and you'll be fine! It is only a few rows. It depends on the production design, of course, but the side mezzanines provide a rather partial view. 

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#124School of Rock, pre-Broadway showcases
Posted: 6/13/15 at 10:43pm

The Distinctive Baritone, your logic is incorrect.

Sierra Boggess did the first reading of the show and the role was written with her in mind given her long association with Andrew Lloyd Webber. She was unable to do the lab because of IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU so Sara Chase stepped in, knowing when she signed on that Boggess would be doing the show on Broadway. Since Chase would be unavailable for the Broadway run anyway due to her TV series, it was a win-win for her.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 6/13/15 at 10:43 PM