pixeltracker

The Visit Closing Sunday- Page 3

The Visit Closing Sunday

FindingNamo
#50The Visit Closing Sunday
Posted: 6/9/15 at 12:00am

Do you think it might have seemed obvious to them that the performance was kind of bad? I mean, you know, as in not particularly likely to sell even half a theater's worth of tickets in total?  I mean all due respect to the goddess of Chita and the memories of Kander & Ebb by all means goes without saying.  Might it just not have been the reality of it?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

VIETgrlTerifa
#51The Visit Closing Sunday
Posted: 6/9/15 at 12:07am

I thought that performance was pretty awful watching it live on TV last night. However, re-watching it on Youtube, it has grown on me. However, how many people are doing that? I sort of wish Chita was a slightly better singer because I think a better singer would have made those lyrics a lot more powerful...or at least heard and understood.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

FindingNamo
#52The Visit Closing Sunday
Posted: 6/9/15 at 12:09am

I LOVE Tom Nelis but I am going to just go right ahead and give the production the benefit of the doubt that whatever that was that he was doing was not, in fact, what he was supposed to be doing and that he was just having an extremely off night.  

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#53The Visit Closing Sunday
Posted: 6/9/15 at 12:14am

"Do you think it might have seemed obvious to them that the performance was kind of bad? I mean, you know, as in not particularly likely to sell even half a theater's worth of tickets in total?  I mean all due respect to the goddess of Chita and the memories of Kander & Ebb by all means goes without saying.  Might it just not have been the reality of it?"

I thought the performance was as good as it was going to be considering their odd choice of medley. If they assumed the performance would not sell any tickets, I'm surprised that they paid to do it, though, I assume it was the least expensive of the evening considering they didn't use any set pieces and it only used five cast members.

somechrysanthemumtea Profile Photo
somechrysanthemumtea
#54The Visit Closing Sunday
Posted: 6/9/15 at 12:18am

I really enjoyed the performance, well at least the 'Love and Love Alone' + the ballet were stunning. The second half wasn't bad either. I think the producer was hinting last night that the show would close, but ultimately he said that he didn't care about the financial situation, he cared more about the fact that he had brought the musical to Broadway.

I am so happy that they went to Broadway, and while it was here it was amazing! I really hope I get to see a production soon, maybe a video, or I can be happy with the cast recording.

sctrojan65
#55The Visit Closing Sunday
Posted: 6/9/15 at 12:30am

I enjoyed it as well.  So haunting.  And so unique. 

I think this was a labor of love for Chita, and I'm glad it made it to Broadway for a spell.

And I'm very glad I saw it. 

It's not for everyone, but it added something provocative to my itinerary over spring break.

FindingNamo
#56The Visit Closing Sunday
Posted: 6/9/15 at 12:40am

'I thought the performance was as good as it was going to be...'

I do not know why that didn't go on the poster.

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#57The Visit Closing Sunday
Posted: 6/9/15 at 12:48am

"'I thought the performance was as good as it was going to be...'
I do not know why that didn't go on the poster."

Don't misappropriate my words: As I said above, The Visit was my favorite musical of this season, and my full quote emphasizes that the choice of two songs for this medley made for an awkward showcase of the musical, i.e. the performers did as good a job as they could selling two songs that do not really work together. I thought Chita was great in the performance. Sure, your post was intended to be humorous, but I clearly wasn't making any criticism of the performers or the musical overall.  

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#58The Visit Closing Sunday
Posted: 6/9/15 at 12:49am

I actually agree with that statement. I've seen the show 6 times now and performing anything on the show was going to be a lose-lose situation. There really isn't a song that could have been done without a lot of exposition that would make it understandable to the audience. They did the best that they could do, though. 

brdway411
#59The Visit Closing Sunday
Posted: 6/9/15 at 1:01am

I didn't watch the Awards, what song did they do? Yellow Shoes? 

sctrojan65
#60The Visit Closing Sunday
Posted: 6/9/15 at 1:07am

"I actually agree with that statement. I've seen the show 6 times now and performing anything on the show was going to be a lose-lose situation. There really isn't a song that could have been done without a lot of exposition that would make it understandable to the audience. They did the best that they could do, though. "

Agree fully with this.

This show isn't for everyone, but as a labor of love, I'm glad it got done…and that I saw it.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#61The Visit Closing Sunday
Posted: 6/9/15 at 1:37am

Just now thinking about it, it's a bummer that (unless Chita were to tragically fall ill this week) no one will get to see Donna in the show.

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#62The Visit Closing Sunday
Posted: 6/9/15 at 2:26am

I'm confused about why "The Visit" is viewed as K&E's last musical, when "The Scottsboro Boys" opened in 2010; the date I read that "The Visit" was written was 2001. The Music Theater International Web site lists Scottsboro as the final K&E collaboration.

I'm wondering if "The Scottsboro Boys" may have been written after "The Visit," but made it to Broadway first. Does anyone know the story of how both these musicals wound up claiming that it was the last Kander and Ebb collaboration?

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#63The Visit Closing Sunday
Posted: 6/9/15 at 3:12am

Where is the MTI page for The Visit? I can't find it.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#64The Visit Closing Sunday
Posted: 6/9/15 at 4:37am

I believe The Visit was written before The Scottsboro Boys. Each can possibly be referred to as Kander & Ebb's final show. The Visit seems as though it will be the final new production (previously unseen) on Broadway, but Scottsboro may have been written last. I can't speak concretely, as I'm unsure about the timeline of when the duo wrote their adaptation of The Skin of Our Teeth (but I believe it was written before the other two). I also can't speak to the quality of any production of that as-yet-to-appear-on-Broadway show, but from what I've heard of the score, it isn't among the pair's best work... although who knows, it may yet appear on Broadway-- I'm sure most of us doubted The Visit would ever be seen on Broadway.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#65The Visit Closing Sunday
Posted: 6/9/15 at 4:48am

All About Us, under the name Over and Over at the Signature Theatre in 1999. It then went to the Westport County Playhouse in 2007 starring Eartha Kitt. The score is really good, but there are licensing rights issues with the Wilder estate. I'd like to see the show done by the Public or Vineyard, but there is no way ever that it will go to Broadway.

Updated On: 6/9/15 at 04:48 AM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#66The Visit Closing Sunday
Posted: 6/9/15 at 6:16am

All About Us/Over and Over is in a state where it needs a LOT of work.

The score really is wonderful but the show, as it is, feels like draft that needs focus.

They cram the entire last segment (Act III of the Wilder play) into the last 15 minutes.

Regarding The Visit, they shouldn't have done "I Will Never Leave You". It's weird and delightfully creepy in context, but just weird out of context.

As has been said, there is no way to sell this show from a clip.

When all is said and done, it's a challenging and provocative show that I believe is, like so many K&E pieces, ahead of its time.

....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 6/9/15 at 06:16 AM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#67The Visit Closing Sunday
Posted: 6/9/15 at 8:08am

To agree with one or more of the above: I'm a huge fan of the show but don't think anything could've been excerpted successfully in a 4 minute Tony presentation that would've turned the tide.  Ahead of its time?  I'm not sure.  Not right for this climate on B'way in 2015 to be sure. It's a beautiful piece, the production feels ideal to me. But in 1990 or 2030, THE VISIT is in every way a dark horse for Broadway.  

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#68The Visit Closing Sunday
Posted: 6/9/15 at 9:46am

I had tickets to see this on my birthday next week when I’m in the city. I always knew there was a chance it would be closing before, but I was holding out hope I would get to see it. I really think I would have enjoyed the show, from everything I’ve read. I love darker, complex musicals and it seemed like this would have been right up my alley (finding a replacement musical in the same vein has been impossible, unfortunately). I’m certainly jealous of those who got to see it.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#69The Visit Closing Sunday
Posted: 6/9/15 at 4:25pm

I liked "The Visit".  It was dark, macabre and a bit ghoulish.   Chita Rivera gave it her all!  I'll comment further later... very tired. 

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#70The Visit Closing Sunday
Posted: 6/9/15 at 5:41pm

It does boggle my mind why they didn't do the complete "Love And Love Alone" with the pas de deux with Chita and Michelle. If they wanted to immortalize the show they should have just shown that gorgeous and heartbreaking piece in its entirety. It is a true meta moment with Chita passing the baton to Michelle. They really lost an opportunity there. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#71The Visit Closing Sunday
Posted: 6/9/15 at 5:42pm

I saw the Wednesday matinee before the Tony Awards and thought the show, especially Chita, was fantastic. This show is not very commercial, although it had more potential to be in New York than on the road. I think it will have a huge regional life, and older women will be lining up to play Claire at regional theaters.

There was no way a Tony performance could do the show justice, but I would much rather have seen a full version of "Love and Love Alone" with Chita's opening slightly sped up for TV. I think it would have been engaging and sold the show well compared to "I Would Never Leave You," which is odd out of context. I watched the awards with other theatre-savvy friends, but they didn't understand the eunuchs. 

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#72The Visit Closing Sunday
Posted: 6/10/15 at 2:53pm

no longer offering balcony and rear mezzanine for $19.75 back to full price 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#73The Visit Closing Sunday
Posted: 6/10/15 at 2:57pm

do you know if they are still offering rush? How early do i have to line up?

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

neonlightsxo
#74The Visit Closing Sunday
Posted: 6/10/15 at 3:08pm

Robbie, the $20 deal was never forever. It was only until the Tonys.

Philly, I'm sure you'll have no problem getting rush.