pixeltracker

Cell phone hell at Shows for Days; Ms. LuPone remains silent - Page 2

Cell phone hell at Shows for Days; Ms. LuPone remains silent

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#25Cell Phone Hell at Shows for Days
Posted: 7/9/15 at 3:47am

Glad she waited for her exit this time around!

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

LarryD2
#26Cell Phone Hell at Shows for Days
Posted: 7/9/15 at 7:42am

I have a hard time buying the "old folks just don't know any better" argument. I know many senior citizens who have smartphones (or just run of the mill old cellphones, though they are becoming increasingly rare) and know perfectly well how to use them. When I go to the theater, or to the movies, or am out to dinner, etc. etc., I see older people using their iPhones and Droids with perfect confidence. Cell phones have been a part of daily modern life for at least twenty years, and smartphones for at least ten years. Blame carelessness, blame neglect, blame just simply not giving a damn -- but I don't see it as an issue of not understanding the technology, at least not on a grand scale.

And if you truly don't know how to turn your cell phone off, maybe it's best you leave it at home when you're going to the theater. Or in your car. Or in one of the free lockers LCT generously provides so that patrons can stow their belongings during the show.

Brava to LuPone for her handling of the texter. I bet she relished the moment.

Updated On: 7/9/15 at 07:42 AM

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#27Cell Phone Hell at Shows for Days
Posted: 7/9/15 at 7:49am

"I am 26 years old. My Phone, multiple times, has remained on after I thought I had switched it off. That one of the reasons why I keep it on vibrate 98% of the time. Don't wave your hands and say "oh, those old fogies". I am incised by cellphones in the theatre as much as anyone. That's why I like a "remember to turn your phones back off" after the intermission. But I'm kinda anal like that. "

Holy hell, how in the world do you manage to get dressed in the morning?

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#28Cell Phone Hell at Shows for Days
Posted: 7/9/15 at 8:21am

Just out of curiousity, but did Patti not say anything because she knew that people were expecting her to go ballistic?  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#29Cell Phone Hell at Shows for Days
Posted: 7/9/15 at 8:35am

Do you think people in this thread have direct contact with her thoughts?

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#30Cell Phone Hell at Shows for Days
Posted: 7/9/15 at 8:48am

So, like, if Patti LuPone takes your phone during a show, how does one go about getting it back? If it involves actually having to speak to LuPone, I think I'd rather a new phone.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#31Cell Phone Hell at Shows for Days
Posted: 7/9/15 at 8:50am

http://playbill.com/news/article/lupone-strikes-back-grabs-texters-phone-at-shows-for-days-352944

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#32Cell Phone Hell at Shows for Days
Posted: 7/9/15 at 9:29am

I picture her like this

Cell Phone Hell at Shows for Days

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#33Cell Phone Hell at Shows for Days
Posted: 7/9/15 at 9:30am

"So, like, if Patti LuPone takes your phone during a show, how does one go about getting it back? If it involves actually having to speak to LuPone, I think I'd rather a new phone."

LOL!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#34Cell Phone Hell at Shows for Days
Posted: 7/9/15 at 10:20am

She should make those lame announcements in the movies re silencing your cell phone. The ad would start out nice with her saying pleasantries. She could then tell the audience that if you do not silence them, she will come and personally rip your heart out.

An audio version would suffice for Broadway theaters.

Poster Emeritus

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#35Cell Phone Hell at Shows for Days
Posted: 7/9/15 at 10:28am

I have the utmost respect for Patti LuPone. She's extremely passionate about her craft. That she had to go out of her way and snatch someone's cell phone out of their hands shows that she has zero tolerance for any audience member that displays a total lack of respect for everyone that is up on that stage and the others in the audience.

It is disheartening that this is what theatergoers like myself have to put up with now when going to the theater. I stopped going to the movies because of this same type of behavior. I don't want to have to think twice about going to a show because of fear that my experience is going to be ruined by some rude, ignorant, inconsiderate, selfish audience member.

It's just sad that this is even happening at all, but I am glad that Patti LuPone is taking it upon herself to let her feelings about it be known whether by words or actions or both. The only way this type of behavior is going to be stopped is by true enforcement. Many theaters are encouraging Wi-Fi use by advertising it. They are partly to blame.

Updated On: 7/9/15 at 10:28 AM

gavyj Profile Photo
gavyj
#36Cell Phone Hell at Shows for Days
Posted: 7/9/15 at 11:42am

"I picture her like this
Cell Phone Hell at Shows for Days"

...and then launching into her "Who Do You Think You Are?" aria.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#37Cell Phone Hell at Shows for Days
Posted: 7/9/15 at 11:47am

I think the main reason is people do not care about anyone but themselves. Much like driving, people ignore laws they do not like no matter the consequences.

Poster Emeritus

Margo319
#38Cell Phone Hell at Shows for Days
Posted: 7/9/15 at 12:13pm

I truly hope she stomped on it or threw it in a bucket of ice.  I can only imagine how uncomfortable someone who has the audacity to be on their phone during a live theater performance would be without it for just a few minutes.  TEE HEE.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#39Cell Phone Hell at Shows for Days
Posted: 7/9/15 at 12:26pm

Was there last night, and it was DELICIOUS to watch her snatch the phone out of that woman's hands. And damn right, she stayed in character while doing it.

But then wouldn't you know it, later on, someone's cell phone rang, and it was one of those people who can't seem to figure out how to make it stop making noise. It was during LuPone's speech about all the things that are ruining live theater, and I fully expected her to slip in, "And don't get me started on cell phones."

Here's the thing: yes, mistakes happen. Your leg turns it back on or whatever. So turn it to airplane mode and turn it off. If you can't figure out how? Ask an usher. The problem truly is that people don't care enough about others. The three nightmare wenches behind me who spent the 15 minutes before the show and the entire intermission whining about absolutely everything actually said out loud, "I'll just turn it to silent. No one can hear it vibrating." Now, maybe if you're so deaf that you spend all of intermission complaining about not being able to hear a single thing FROM THE SECOND ROW, you can't hear your phone vibrate. But others of us can.

It's disheartening to see Patti's statement about questioning her commitment to stage work, because that would be a tragedy. But God bless her for actually standing up to people.

This all brings me back to my greatest wish: ushers armed with tasers.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#40Cell Phone Hell at Shows for Days
Posted: 7/9/15 at 12:30pm

Oh, and one more thing: obnoxious audience aside, Patti was magnificent. The show is very thin but a total delight. And Michael Urie is wonderful!

Falling
#41Cell Phone Hell at Shows for Days
Posted: 7/9/15 at 12:34pm

Am I the only one who thinks it's not a good idea to grab things out of people's hands, even if you are Patti LuPone??? I mean, she's lucky the person didn't turn on her. (I remember a couple of years ago at the revival of "Mary Stuart," two people got into a physical altercation when one tried to take the phone from someone's hand.) I get her frustration, really I do-I've been witness to some ugly behavior regarding cellphones, but I never, ever physically take things from someone else-that can lead to trouble-and more distractions for the rest of the audience and the cast. Again, I understand the frustration (and the urge to grab the phone), but I don't encourage such behavior, for a number of reasons.

skies Profile Photo
skies
#42Cell Phone Hell at Shows for Days
Posted: 7/9/15 at 12:40pm

I wonder if Patti physically beat people over the head with the phone, not enough to draw blood but enough to leave a bruise if it would make a difference. Probably not.

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#43Cell Phone Hell at Shows for Days
Posted: 7/9/15 at 12:44pm

"I wonder if Patti physically beat people over the head with the phone, not enough to draw blood but enough to leave a bruise if it would make a difference. Probably not."

I would go see that play.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#44Cell Phone Hell at Shows for Days
Posted: 7/9/15 at 12:48pm

Would those be considered premium seats?

madlibrarian
#45Cell Phone Hell at Shows for Days
Posted: 7/9/15 at 12:52pm

Brava, Patti. I am utterly on her side in this cell phone contretemps.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#46Cell Phone Hell at Shows for Days
Posted: 7/9/15 at 12:59pm

They should all be put up against a wall & shot

Poster Emeritus

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#47Cell Phone Hell at Shows for Days
Posted: 7/9/15 at 1:13pm

Is anyone vocally against her in this?

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#48Cell Phone Hell at Shows for Days
Posted: 7/9/15 at 1:14pm

"Is anyone vocally against her in this?"

I've already seen one FB post that said they hope she gets sued. Haha!

Also, there are a couple contrary comments at Gothamist, but they're in the minority. http://gothamist.com/2015/07/09/patti_lupone_cellphone.php

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#49Cell Phone Hell at Shows for Days
Posted: 7/9/15 at 1:18pm

I doubt anyone on this board is

Imagine if she quits theater because of this

Poster Emeritus