Hamilton Previews

Jamie Pierce Profile Photo
Jamie Pierce
#125Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 12:19am

I was there tonight and the show left me with a lot of feelings and complex emotions which are all overridden by my desire to have sex with Jonathan Groff. 

Jonathan. Groff. Seriously, his performance is all I can think about. 

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#126Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 12:22am

"my desire to have sex with Jonathan Groff."

YES.

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

RUkiddingme
#127Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 12:24am

As great as the show was downtown, Hamilton on Broadway may be better just to see the scope of it all enlarged.

Everything about it is so big - from the story to the staging to the lyrics and everything else - it fits better on a big Broadway stage,

Renee's "Satisfied" song is the best unrequited love song ever written.  Period.

Leslie gets better and better.  Daveed steals every scene he's in.  Chris Jackson was so strong tonight.

Jonathan is fine but I miss Brian's maturity.

Their are moments that take your breath away and once you catch your breathe there's another moment that blows you away.  It's almost too much to take in one sitting.

Supportive first preview audience enthusiasm was out of control.

I have a feeling I'm going to be seeing this many more times.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#128Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 12:25am

"...overridden by my desire to have sex with Jonathan Groff."

I didn't see the show tonight and I already think about that frequently.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#129Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 12:44am

"Daveed Diggs was my other favorite actor. His Jefferson and Lafayette felt distinctive and both were a lot of fun. He's the scene stealer and his performance has Tony written all over it."

AND

"Daveed steals every scene he's in. "

I think Daveed is a very special actor.  He truly does have the rare ability to steal any scene in which he is on the stage.  He reminds me of a young Christian Borle in some ways.  I am looking forward to watching him grow and mature.  And I agree with Whizzer, his performance has Tony dripping all over it.

Updated On: 7/14/15 at 12:44 AM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#130Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 12:47am

Daveed was definitely that high point when I saw it at the Public, and he was completely charming when I ran into him on his night off at Brooklynite with Odom...

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#131Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 12:50am

I thought of Christian Borle watching his Jefferson too!

i think his take on the president would have fit in equally well with the Bloody, Bloody politicians. Some wonderful comedic work. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#132Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 12:52am

Has the actual physical production shifted since Broadway? Is it more "Broadway?" 

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#133Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 1:02am

I'm a bit bummed because I actually loved the whiskey rebellion! But I'll keep an open mind. 

Updated On: 7/14/15 at 01:02 AM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#134Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 1:03am

Whizzer,

As the person who coined "this is the best show of our adult lives" [there may be others but I know I have said it 2-3 times], let me say that there is a bit of tongue in cheek about the "our" part since there are obviously more than 2 generations of people here. "Our" is a euphemism for "my." That said, I tried to seriously identify another show that achieves EVERYTHING that Hamilton does and could not come up with one. My theatregoing started early, but one of my great regrets was that I never saw Fiddler in its original iteration. I think it comes closest to me but unfortunately it was just before my time. (I was 9 when it closed. I was lucky enough to be a theatregoer when I was 10-11.) I love all the shows you mention that resonated for you so we are somewhat on the same wavelength. But when I look at the scope and intention of Hamilton, how it challenges us and how remarkably it achieves its goals, I can't say that any of those others are on that level. Resonance is, of course, somewhat subjective: every show is not going to resonate for everyone in the same way. I found Hamilton (the character) extremely relatable. And I also have a relatively friendly and non-superficial relationship with hip hop (not nearly at Miranda's level, but much more so than many here.) So yeah, I was not just spouting hype when I said what I said. When I read what you said (and it is exceptionally fair) I felt I needed to speak to it. (And so i did.)

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#135Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 1:09am

So they didn't change anything about the problem ending????? :/ REALLY??!!!??? 

I guess there's no point in seeing this again then... 

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#136Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 1:26am

what did you want them to change? This is a true story you know

"The best shows for me are things I have a deep, emotional connection with; mix in a little catharsis and you're golden."

ME TOO WHIZZER!! Thats why i loved Beautiful and Skylight so damn much!!

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

dave1606
#137Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 1:35am

I was there tonight and while I don't think there is a show on this earth that could have lived up to the hype that Hamilton had going into their first Broadway preview, they mostly lived up to it in my eyes. 

No, it isn't perfect, and Act 1 definitely felt long, but this is among the more thrilling pieces of theater I have ever seen. It is incredible how accessible the show if on one level let also so complex. 

First off, one of the biggest complaints I had: the sound. This happens a lot at first previews and tonight was no different. Unfortunately, this is a bigger issue in a show like Hamilton where every lyric matters. Lin-Manuel Miranda has written some brilliant lyrics for this show, but blink and you will miss them. The sound mix tonight had me catch maybe 70%. 

Other than that the show works as well as it does due to its cast. Leslie Odom, Jr. was incredible. His showstopper in Act 2 was amazing and I hope he gets remembered come TONY time. But I also loved Phillipa Soo, Renee Elise Goldsberry, and Daveed Diggs. Miranda has written such a wonderful ensemble piece that every character gets a bit of time to shine. Jonathan Groff does some great work in his few scenes as well. 

Overall, yes, this isn't a show that had me reaching for the tissues like say Next to Normal, but it was a show that had me moved in a different way. It is a complex portrait of a brilliant and flawed man, and the bit of epilogue that Phillipa Soo's character delivers definitely had me tearing up. 

Two other notes, due to the very open nature of the set, there really won't be a bad seat in the house. I was sitting rear mezzanine all the way to the side and could see everything perfectly. 

Also, yes, stage door was insane, but everyone came out and took plenty of time with everyone there (when I left it was 12:00am and Jonathan Groff was still signing for people). 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#138Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 1:41am

So thrilled reading these reports and that the production soars in its new home. I truly thought it was special and was so happy to have seen it at the Public! 

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

SamHoffman523
#139Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 2:19am

I was one of the lucky 21 to win the lottery. I'm not one for writing huge long reviews but I just wanted to echo what SingingBackup, Whizzer, and Dave have said. My feelings are exactly the same. However, when all is said and done, there is simply nothing else like this in existence. Nothing like this has ever existed before, and I doubt anyone will ever be able to (successfully) emulate this in the future.

Updated On: 7/14/15 at 02:19 AM

NoName3 Profile Photo
NoName3
#140Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 2:27am

"First show to recoup before playing a single performance?!"

haterobics, Mary Martin's Peter Pan had completely recouped while it was still in previews in California (LA and San Francisco) before it opened in New York because of its sale to NBC for TV.  It didn't need to open on Broadway to repay its investors but did so because the creatives (including the cast) wanted to be eligible for the Tonys and because NBC wanted to be able to advertise the show as a real Broadway musical.  But what had originally been intended to be an open-ended run became a limited three month engagement.  Mary Martin and Cyril Ritchard did win Tonys and the production also won a technical Tony award.

I think there may be less than a handful of other shows that have recouped prior to their Broadway openings (perhaps Irving Berlin's Mr. President?  Or perhaps not.) but it's late and I am too tired to google it.

Updated On: 7/14/15 at 02:27 AM

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#141Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 2:50am

I saw the show twice at the Public and I'm seeing it at the Rodgers soon, but Whizzer hit the nail on the head for me. It IS something that benefits from multiple viewings, however. I'm anxious to see it for a third time to see if I like it even more.

It's not some God-send of a masterpiece, but I understand why it's creating the buzz it is. It's fresh, unique, smart, and boundary-pushing. But as far as being the best thing Broadway has seen in decades...not sold on that. In fact, there are much better shows running in NY at this very moment in my opinion. 

Updated On: 7/14/15 at 02:50 AM

NoName3 Profile Photo
NoName3
#142Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 2:54am

I remember another instance now.  Morty Gottlieb famously repaid all the investors of Tribute starring Jack Lemmon during the opening night party with checks from the sale of the film rights while the show was out-of-town.

cjmclaughlin10
#143Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 9:53am

I too was in attendance last night.  It was my third time seeing the show and i was excited to see how it would look on a larger scale.  Unfotunatley I think it has lost a bit of its spark from downtown.  The public is clearly  a very small space, so the energy from the performers was infectious and gave the idea that you were actually "the room where it happens"....  I think moving it to a larger venue sucked some of the energy out.  

I still highly enjoyed it, its just slightly less special then it was downtown.

***  NOTE: I don't think this lack of energy had ANYTHING to do with the fact that they waited to transfer.....  I supported the decision when it was announced, and i stand by it now***   

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#144Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 10:07am

Once the reviews come out ,prices will skyrocket and the scalpers will descend..

Scalpers descended months ago.  it's been discussed quite often.  Did you not know that because you blocked everyone?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#145Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 10:17am

Sam, congrats on winning the lotto! That must have been such a thrill. Plus, to see it from the first row! How's the view from there?

I have a question for those who saw it at the Public: Did you notice any additional songs for the Schuyler sisters? A few weeks ago Lin-Manuel tweeted that he was writing more music for them. I'm wondering if their parts got built up a bit.

And cjmclaughlin, that was exactly my fear, and I'm sorry that you detected the loss of spark. I loved the show so much at the Public, but I am worry that a larger and "more finished" production would be less exciting. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing it Saturday night!

I'm also worried about the sound design in the larger space. For this show, every word has to be crystal clear. I hope the sound can be tweaked by the time I see it! That gives the sound engineers a couple of days. Hamilton Previews

Updated On: 7/14/15 at 10:17 AM

neonlightsxo
#146Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 10:19am

"There is no song list in the Playbill, so we'll all have to do our best referring to song titles.) "

Whizzer, there was a song list when I saw it at the Public. Renee's song is titled "Satisfied."

I take it you did not see the downtown run?

neonlightsxo
#147Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 10:20am

Edited:

"Renee's "Satisfied" song is the best unrequited love song ever written. Period."

I actually would not characterize that as an unrequited love song at all. It's not about Angelica loving Hamilton and him not loving her back. He does love her. It's about her giving up her love for Hamilton so Eliza can have him.

Updated On: 7/14/15 at 10:20 AM

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#148Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 10:31am

WOW. I have never see so many heads explode on a thread. Relax. It's a silly musical. It will not cure cancer, but you know, if some of you donated to a cancer fund the outrageous money you waste seeing these silly musicals again and again, a cure might come quicker.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#149Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 10:40am

Whose head exploded? 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.