Crucible Revival

neonlightsxo
#1Crucible Revival
Posted: 8/6/15 at 3:50pm

Joining the previously announced “A View From the Bridge” is “The Crucible,” Miller’s searing political allegory about the McCarthy-era blacklist set during the Salem witch trials of the 1690s. The two productions will share more than just a Broadway season; both will be directed by the Belgian director Ivo van Hove, and Scott Rudin is a producer of both.

The cast includes Ben Whishaw (“The Hour” ) as John Proctor; Sophie Okonedo (a Tony winner for “A Raisin in the Sun” ) as his wife, Elizabeth Proctor; Saoirse Ronan (“Atonement” ) as Abigail Williams; and Ciaran Hinds (“Game of Thrones” and “The Seafarer” on Broadway) as Deputy Governor Danforth. Philip Glass will contribute an original score.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/08/06/crucible-revival-with-whishaw-and-okonedo-sets-broadway-opening/?ref=arts

Updated On: 8/6/15 at 03:50 PM

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#2Crucible Revival
Posted: 8/6/15 at 4:03pm

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes 

My favorite play!!!!!!! Seriously turning out the be one of the best seasons ever!!!

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#3Crucible Revival
Posted: 8/6/15 at 4:08pm

That is an excellent cast, but Ben Whishaw is a very unusual choice for Proctor.

Also: I would hope the full cast isn't British.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

bigbelterbaby
#4Crucible Revival
Posted: 8/6/15 at 4:09pm

wow I didn't know Saoirse Ronan was making her Broadway debut in this.

and really excited to see Sophie Okonedo on stage again. She's going to slay in this role

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.

Phillypinto
#5Crucible Revival
Posted: 8/6/15 at 4:11pm

hes cute and gay Crucible Revival

Updated On: 8/6/15 at 04:11 PM

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#6Crucible Revival
Posted: 8/6/15 at 4:53pm

I saw Wishaw do MOJO in London a year and a half ago, and he was really rather sexy and virile.  I'm excited to see him tackle this.  

skies Profile Photo
skies
#7Crucible Revival
Posted: 8/6/15 at 4:55pm

"wow I didn't know Saoirse Ronan was making her Broadway debut in this.

and really excited to see Sophie Okonedo on stage again. She's going to slay in this role"

Yes to all this.

Love Saoirse's film work and can't wait to see her on stage. 

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

cknick
#8Crucible Revival
Posted: 8/6/15 at 4:59pm

Excited/happy to see Whishaw in this and not a big 'ole "Hollywood" name.  We'll be spoiled with VIEW and CRUCIBLE this season! 

CollyFlour
#9Crucible Revival
Posted: 8/6/15 at 5:04pm

Great casting. Not entirely British though as Ciarán Hinds is from Belfast, Northern Ireland and Saoirse Ronan is Irish. Can't wait!

Updated On: 8/6/15 at 05:04 PM

iluvtheatertrash
#11Crucible Revival
Posted: 8/6/15 at 5:11pm

This is going to be incredible. Although I'm curious to see if Okonedo's casting changes any of the dynamics around Tituba. 

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#12Crucible Revival
Posted: 8/6/15 at 5:19pm

Yes- of course Hinds and Ronan are Irish! I apologize for hastily doing a "British" generalization.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#13Crucible Revival
Posted: 8/6/15 at 5:31pm

Isn't Actors' Equity usually adamant about foreign actors (regardless if they're Irish or British) displacing American talent? What's going on here?

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

LarryD2
#14Crucible Revival
Posted: 8/6/15 at 5:35pm

Adamant? Foreign actors regularly appear in New York. I imagine all of these actors -- particularly Oscar nominees Okenedo (also a Tony winner) and Ronan -- qualify as "international stars".

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#15Crucible Revival
Posted: 8/6/15 at 5:45pm

I read this play a couple months ago for the first time, and I didn't especially care for it. I'm sure it translates better on stage though, as most plays do. It'll be interesting to see it live, especially with this great cast. 

I like that we're getting 2 Millers and also 2 Bock/Harnick shows. Maybe this trend will continue and Iceman Cometh will decide to transfer, and we'll get 2 O'Neills. A man can dream. 

Gothampc
#16Crucible Revival
Posted: 8/6/15 at 5:46pm

Philip Glass will contribute an original score.

Expect a lot of staccato, dissonant music.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

decast
#17Crucible Revival
Posted: 8/6/15 at 5:54pm

It's an entirely different production I know, but I'm sad it isn't Richard Armitage's Proctor, he was incredible at the Old Vic. Wishaw is great but I don't see him as that sort of commanding Proctor presence. 

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#18Crucible Revival
Posted: 8/6/15 at 5:57pm

Excellent casting!! I love all of them. 

Ben is certainly not traditional casting (and perhaps a bit short in the tooth for this role- ??) but I absolutely adore him in everything he does, so I cannot wait to see what happens!

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#19Crucible Revival
Posted: 8/6/15 at 6:08pm

Ben Whishaw looks about 23, max. I don't think I buy him as a bored husband having a mid-life crisis affair with a young girl.

The real John Proctor was in his 60s and had 17 kids. The play John Proctor is usually played in his 40s. Even the boy who played John Proctor in my high school's production junior year looked older than Ben Whishaw.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Phillypinto
#20Crucible Revival
Posted: 8/6/15 at 6:14pm

WOW you think 34 is to old for John Proctor?? how old is he supposed to be anyway. I always thought he was in his 40s

AEA AGMA SM
#21Crucible Revival
Posted: 8/6/15 at 6:18pm

No one has said he's too old for this, they are saying the exact opposite.

Phillypinto
#22Crucible Revival
Posted: 8/6/15 at 6:23pm

ohh short in the tooth

ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man) Profile Photo
ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man)
#23Crucible Revival
Posted: 8/6/15 at 6:30pm

I'm excited that Saoirse Ronan is playing Abigail Williams. For someone as young as her, the role of Abigail in my opinion is one of the most complex and juiciest role ever for a woman. And I think her performances in Atonement and Hanna have prepared her to tackle these kind of roles!

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#24Crucible Revival
Posted: 8/6/15 at 6:32pm

John Proctor was 60 when he died. He had been married 3 times, and had 17 children. His oldest child was 33- one year younger than Ben Whishaw is.

He's usually cast younger than he was, but for comparison sake, Liam Neeson was 50 in the last revival and Martin Sheen was 52 in the revival before that.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#25Crucible Revival
Posted: 8/6/15 at 6:47pm

Age aside, I'm so excited about Ben's casting. Thought he was spectacular in The Hour on BBC/BBC America- three years later and I still miss that show). From what I've seen of his film work, very versatile- everything from dying poet to androgynous Shakespearean magician to Q (another role he was cast young for).

The rest of the cast looks amazing as well. I remember studying this in a few different literature and theater classes but never around the time of a major live production, so I'm interested to see how it turns out.

AwesomeDanny
#26Crucible Revival
Posted: 8/6/15 at 6:53pm

I'm not much of a fan of Van Hove's work, but everything else about this so excites me. I don't mind if Proctor is significantly younger than he historically was as long as it makes sense within the world created onstage. It's historical fiction; I don't mind if some details are fudged. But the most exciting thing about this, for me, is Phillip Glass's score. I am very much looking forward to hearing thoughts on what will probably be a very divisive production.