pixeltracker

The One Cast Album Never Recorded You Want- Page 3

The One Cast Album Never Recorded You Want

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#50The One Cast Album Never Recorded You Want
Posted: 8/13/15 at 5:14am

"I would have loved a full cast recording of "Smile" with the full orchestrations."

It really is a pity that the most widely circulated recording is the synth demo since the original orchestrations were amazing. Sid Ramin of GYPSY and WSS plus Bill Byers who did A CHORUS LINE and CITY OF ANGELS.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#51The One Cast Album Never Recorded You Want
Posted: 8/13/15 at 5:51am

I've given up on Smile. The One Cast Album Never Recorded You Want

I would love for someone to record The Nutty Professor though. It saddens me that Hamlisch's last score is unheard.

And Charles Strouse has some great unrecorded scores as well.

Marty

Martin (the MLK musical)

Minsky's

Bojangles

A Broadway Show

....but the world goes 'round

lotiloti Profile Photo
lotiloti
#52The One Cast Album Never Recorded You Want
Posted: 8/13/15 at 5:52am

The 1983 London  production of 'Marilyn'  With the glorious  Stephanie Lawrence.

FrontRowCenter2 Profile Photo
FrontRowCenter2
#53The One Cast Album Never Recorded You Want
Posted: 8/13/15 at 7:08am

What, no wants a recording of Cry Baby??   :)

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#54The One Cast Album Never Recorded You Want
Posted: 8/13/15 at 7:23am

Hi FrontRowCenter!

I've missed you and your vast knowledge of cast recordings. The One Cast Album Never Recorded You Want

Someone did mention Cry Baby a few posts up. It's apparently being released this fall (per Schlesinger).

Updated On: 8/13/15 at 07:23 AM

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#55The One Cast Album Never Recorded You Want
Posted: 8/13/15 at 8:40am

Something More (with those uncredited Jule Styne songs and Barabara Cook)

Rockabye Hamlet (Original Cast and complete)

A Broadway Musical by Strouse and Adams

1600 Pennsylvania Ave (Original cast)

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#56The One Cast Album Never Recorded You Want
Posted: 8/13/15 at 8:50am

Lestat

Little Miss Sunshine

Romance in Hard Times

Via Galactica

A Broadway Musical

Minsky's

Starlight Express (Broadway cast)

All You Need is Love (1999 short-lived West End Lennon/McCartney revue): Not a great show, but the arrangements and performances were wonderful

Time (a cast recording instead of the studio album)

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#57The One Cast Album Never Recorded You Want
Posted: 8/13/15 at 9:02am

The 1968 Lincoln Center revival of WEST SIDE STORY starring Victoria Mallory as "Maria", Kurt Peterson as "Tony" and BarBara Luna as "Anita".

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#58The One Cast Album Never Recorded You Want
Posted: 8/13/15 at 9:09am

Michael John Lachiusa's First Lady Suite -- either the original Public Theater cast or the 2004 Transport Group revival. Unfortunately, the only legitimate recording of the score (from an LA production) isn't very good.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#59The One Cast Album Never Recorded You Want
Posted: 8/13/15 at 9:10am

Every Encores show that didn't get a cast recording, although specifically I'd say Where's Charley and Fanny.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#60The One Cast Album Never Recorded You Want
Posted: 8/13/15 at 9:18am

Oh, yes, definitely the wonderful Encores Fanny -- and also Juno.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#61The One Cast Album Never Recorded You Want
Posted: 8/13/15 at 9:25am

I would pay a small fortune for a cast recording of 13P’s production of Sarah Ruhl’s chamber music version of “Melancholy Play” (with music by Todd Almond) that played a couple of summers ago. It is still one of the best theatre experiences I have ever had. The cast was fantastic and I adore that score.

Another that comes to mind is the Off-Center Encores! cast of “tick, tick…boom!” from last summer.

Jamie Pierce Profile Photo
Jamie Pierce
#62The One Cast Album Never Recorded You Want
Posted: 8/13/15 at 9:26am

2011 On A Clear Day revival. I mourn for the loss. 

ArtMan
#63The One Cast Album Never Recorded You Want
Posted: 8/13/15 at 9:28am

The Lord Of The Rings, Toronto Cast

LarryD2
#64The One Cast Album Never Recorded You Want
Posted: 8/13/15 at 9:38am

The Shakespeare in the Park revival of Two Gentlemen of Verona with Norm Lewis, Oscar Isaac, Rosario Dawson, and Renee Elise Goldsberry.

Jallenc32
#65The One Cast Album Never Recorded You Want
Posted: 8/13/15 at 9:41am

I'd love to have a copy of Michael John Lachiusa's The Highest Yellow with the original Signature Theatre (VA) cast of Jason Danieley, Judy Kuhn, and Marc Kudisch.

Mister Matt
#66The One Cast Album Never Recorded You Want
Posted: 8/13/15 at 9:58am

The Shakespeare in the Park revival of Two Gentlemen of Verona with Norm Lewis, Oscar Isaac, Rosario Dawson, and Renee Elise Goldsberry.

That would have been a dream come true!  It deserved a Broadway transfer.  One of the best theatrical experiences I've ever had in NYC.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#67The One Cast Album Never Recorded You Want
Posted: 8/13/15 at 10:07am

"The Shakespeare in the Park revival of Two Gentlemen of Verona with Norm Lewis, Oscar Isaac, Rosario Dawson, and Renee Elise Goldsberry.

That would have been a dream come true!  It deserved a Broadway transfer.  One of the best theatrical experiences I've ever had in NYC.

"

yes yes yes and yes!

Such a shame it didn't transfer.

leeleecocororo
#68The One Cast Album Never Recorded You Want
Posted: 8/13/15 at 10:29am

Bloodsong of Love

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#69The One Cast Album Never Recorded You Want
Posted: 8/13/15 at 10:37am

Toronto Cast of Godspell

2013 Paris Cast of Beauty and the Beast

Minsky's

All the Encore's Productions that didn't get recorded.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#70The One Cast Album Never Recorded You Want
Posted: 8/13/15 at 11:35am

Danny and Sylvia. Also Little Dancer, but as someone said upthread, that could still happen. (Fingers crossed, toes crossed, eyes crossed . . . )

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#71The One Cast Album Never Recorded You Want
Posted: 8/13/15 at 11:43am

Encores! A New Brain (especially since the original is now out of print apparently)

First Lady Suite 

James Joyce's the Dead (a friend of mine recommended it to me but I found out that there was no recording)

Falsettos (original Broadway cast or with Mandy Patinkin)

The Apple Tree revival 

Into the Woods central park

Les Miserables current revival (I still feel that there isn't a definitive recording of that show and I love Ramin's performance)

He Loves Me Roundabout reading (there's a bootleg of it and I know that there's the possibility of a recording with that new revival, but Keli O'Hara is a gem)

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#72The One Cast Album Never Recorded You Want
Posted: 8/13/15 at 12:18pm

"Body Beautiful, Bock and Harnick; and Shinbone Alley....Both had good scores and it is very sad that cast albums were never recorded."

There was an animated version of SHINBONE ALLEY released on DVD w/voices of Carol Channing and Eddie Bracken. It's out of print, but new and used copies can be found on Amazon.

Updated On: 8/13/15 at 12:18 PM

Mister Matt
#73The One Cast Album Never Recorded You Want
Posted: 8/13/15 at 12:27pm

First Lady Suite

There was a limited edition CD recording of the 2004 Pittsburgh cast of The Dead, but it's very hard to track down.

Ranger Tom
#74The One Cast Album Never Recorded You Want
Posted: 8/13/15 at 12:47pm

"Who was in the San Francisco cast? For me, it's Toronto cast or no deal- the founders of SCTV and SNL together with Paul Shaffer"

I would have loved to see Toronto.  Had to have been hysterical.  In SF, Stacker Thompson played Jesus - lot of controversy with a black Jesus - a real pioneer of color-blind casting.  Several of the members worked the transfer to Broadway in '76.  I remember Patti Mariano had a solid Broadway career before Godspell in the city.  While I didn't see Toronto, I did get to see SF, Off-Broadway, and London, and SF was far superior to the other two.