pixeltracker

WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016- Page 2

WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016

BwayinVan
#25WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/13/15 at 9:53pm

Didn't people think Wicked was going to walk away with the Tony....

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#26WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/13/15 at 9:55pm

Hamilton is going to win because its one of those shows that comes every 4 years that has a ridiculous amount of buzz and wins the tony. That doesnt mean broadway stops because of it, and as other people have said, there will be more hit musicals other than hamilton this season

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#27WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/13/15 at 9:57pm

You can bet the farm Hamilton will sweep.

Re Waitress, I have never seen the movie. Will watch it on Netflix eventually. Maybe we will see the show and maybe we will not. Either way, we will be OK. I do not have the urge to see any of them . My wife feels the same way. If we see something fine & if not life goes on.

Poster Emeritus

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#28WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/13/15 at 9:59pm

Who's going to win the lead actress Tony from Hamilton?

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#29WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/13/15 at 9:59pm

So the only reason to open a musical on Broadway is to win awards? 

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

NJ_BroadwayGirl
#30WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/13/15 at 10:00pm

"So the only reason to open a musical on Broadway is to win awards?"

This.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#31WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/13/15 at 10:00pm

Really, Roxy, we never knew you felt tis way. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#32WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/13/15 at 10:07pm

I never said that. We have enjoyed many shows that won zero Tonys. By the same token, we  have seen a number of shows that won multiple Tonys that we hated.

Poster Emeritus

ChiTheaterFan
#33WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/13/15 at 10:26pm

"Who's going to win the lead actress Tony from Hamilton?

"

I'm not saying she's going to win but Phillipa Soo certainly deserves to be a contender. I'm surprised in the several on this thread about contenders no one has mentioned her (esp since she's the only one in a show that's actually opened.) she gives a stirring performance and deserves the accolades she's receiving. 

Of course there are other shows like this one that have a more central female lead, but hard to say who has a leg up with no other shows actually open yet. 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#34WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/13/15 at 10:41pm

Once again, it's going to be one interesting Tony race for Leading Actress in a Musical...

Laura Benanti-She Loves Me
Cynthia Erivo-The Color Purple
Audra McDonald-Shuffle Along
Jessie Mueller-Waitress
Lea Salonga-Allegiance
Phillipa Soo-Hamilton
Ana Villafane-On Your Feet!

With the possibilities of...

Samantha Barks-Amelie (if that ends up coming in)
Carmen Cusack-Bright Star (if she ends up staying)

Updated On: 8/13/15 at 10:41 PM

NJ_BroadwayGirl
#35WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/13/15 at 10:47pm

I think Phillipa Soo is outstanding in Hamilton and didn't intend to overlook or disrespect her ... but in terms of stage time and the overall role, I consider both her and Goldsberry to be featured actresses. I'm probably wrong but it's just how I feel.

She is wonderful and her songs and scenes are excellent. Personally, I just don't think you can compare the quantity of her role (note, not quality of performance) to the other potential lead actress roles.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#36WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/13/15 at 10:49pm

No reason to think Philippa  is going to be considered leading and no reason to think Jessie could not contend for leading. The show awards may be a foregone conclusion but not the acting ones. Nothing bad about having lots of potential nominees.

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#37WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/13/15 at 10:55pm

If Philippa Soo (who I absolutely love in Hamilton) is considered leading, she will be up against several other strong contenders. If she's features, she's up against Renee Elise Goldsberry (who I absolutely think should win). She is wonderful, but it's looking to be a super packed category this season. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

Different Drum
#38WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/13/15 at 11:10pm

Roxy is a voice of reason on this board - I don't understand the deep-seated hostility to his posts. And where is the outrage against yet another screen-to-stage adaptation cluttering the Broadway landscape? This announcement a week before the critics have their say may prove to be a reckless miscalculation. 

FindingNamo
#39WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/13/15 at 11:14pm

"Roxy is a voice of reason on this board--"

Thank you. We'll be in touch. 

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

dramamama611
#40WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/13/15 at 11:15pm

How is he the voice of reason?   He says the same thing over and over and over. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#41WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/13/15 at 11:29pm

Namo is Namo and would disagree with me if I said 2&2 were 4. He just has to disagree and be nasty. I would be surprised if he and the others behaved differently. Saying I am the voice of reason will only direct their anger and viciousness toward you.

Thanks anyway for the kind words.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 8/13/15 at 11:29 PM

NewsiesForever Profile Photo
NewsiesForever
#42WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/13/15 at 11:47pm

I feel this is a bad move. With all of the hype and attention Deaf Awakening is getting, I would not limit its potential by preventing an open end run. By forcing it to close early to clear the way for another show very well may flop, is a poor financial risk.

I am not excited by Waitress nor do I feel it will be embraced by a majority of the broadway audience. This is one show I am going to skip

They should have stuck with Deaf Awakening, long term they are going to regret it. 

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#43WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/13/15 at 11:55pm

^ok...

Waitress will probably be The Visit of this season. It will be popular with the Broadway community,  but it might close pretty quickly.  It's sad, but possible. I hope Jessie is considered heavily for awards.  It's a beautiful and challenging role.

dramamama611
#44WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/14/15 at 12:05am

Then blame THE PRODUCERS of Spring Awakening....no one forced then to agree with the deal...they did.  

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#45WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/14/15 at 12:12am

"Then blame THE PRODUCERS of Spring Awakening....no one forced then to agree with the deal...they did."

Seriously, why did those producers agree to such an idiotic deal?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#46WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/14/15 at 12:25am

i strongly disagree with what a lot of you are saying. I think Waitress will be a hit

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#47WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/14/15 at 12:31am

I should have known by now, when questioning why this thread was so active, that we had already made it to deciding who would be up for what Tonys... heh.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#48WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/14/15 at 12:37am

Spring Awakening must close because its producer cannot let the potential of the show interfere with his track record of only producing flops. i am not convinced a revival of Spring Awakening (a show I love) could succeed in any event, but now we know it will not, because it has been designed to fail.

I think Waitress could succeed in the same way that Beautiful did. It is way too soon to write it off.

Updated On: 8/14/15 at 12:37 AM

A Director
#49WAITRESS Will Officially Bow on Broadway in Spring 2016
Posted: 8/14/15 at 12:51am

What nonsense!  Waitress hasn't even opened in Boston and already people are talking Tony Awards. As for all the other musicals you'll just have to wait and see.

Videos