pixeltracker

Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews- Page 3

Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews

dave1606
#50Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/9/15 at 12:05am

I caught the show tonight. I was in college when I first saw Spring Awakening and I don't think my love of Broadway would have been the same without it (it was definitely my gateway drug). The magic of that original cast was something I will never forget. 

I think there are moments when the new revival works beautifully. As someone who knows nearly every line from top to bottom, the ways in which this revival caused me to look at characters and scenes totally different is stunning. 

The moments that stunned me the most where the quiet lines of dialogue that are now signed. Mortiz's scene with his father in particular was very moving. Also, the staging of The Dark I Know Well was nothing short of brilliant. Its a wonderful and fresh interpretation.

People may think I am crazy, but what I missed from this production was a bit of the fun that the original had. I get that it is a heavy piece, and that is how Michael Arden has interpreted it, but I wish it was not almost entirely staged like a film noir piece. I missed the color of the original. Christine Jones' lighting jutting out all over the theater and coming down and out was such a wonderful experience, it just felt too drab here. I liked Totally F*****, but I felt there could have been much more. I really, really did not like the EDM styled finger lights used during The Guilty Ones. 

That being said, I did feel that Touch Me and My Junk worked well. Austin McKenzie is making a fantastic debut and is a great anchor performance for the show. I thought Camryn Manheim was wonderful in the role of Adult Woman. Patrick Page may be doing his villain shtick here, but I enjoyed it. 

Overall, I need to spend some more time with this production ( I'm returning in a few weeks) before I really decide how I feel about it. I think there are some wonderful aspects to the show (the signing/choreography is wonderful) but I don't think I'm as sold on it as others were. But I will say it has me thinking about the show in a whole new light which I think is a credit to this revival. 

dave1606
#51Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/9/15 at 12:05am

I caught the show tonight. I was in college when I first saw Spring Awakening and I don't think my love of Broadway would have been the same without it (it was definitely my gateway drug). The magic of that original cast was something I will never forget. 

I think there are moments when the new revival works beautifully. As someone who knows nearly every line from top to bottom, the ways in which this revival caused me to look at characters and scenes totally different is stunning. 

The moments that stunned me the most where the quiet lines of dialogue that are now signed. Mortiz's scene with his father in particular was very moving. Also, the staging of The Dark I Know Well was nothing short of brilliant. Its a wonderful and fresh interpretation.

People may think I am crazy, but what I missed from this production was a bit of the fun that the original had. I get that it is a heavy piece, and that is how Michael Arden has interpreted it, but I wish it was not almost entirely staged like a film noir piece. I missed the color of the original. Kevin Adams' lighting jutting out all over the theater and coming down and out was such a wonderful experience, it just felt too drab here. I liked Totally F*****, but I felt there could have been much more. I really, really did not like the EDM styled finger lights used during The Guilty Ones. 

That being said, I did feel that Touch Me and My Junk worked well. Austin McKenzie is making a fantastic debut and is a great anchor performance for the show. I thought Camryn Manheim was wonderful in the role of Adult Woman. Patrick Page may be doing his villain shtick here, but I enjoyed it. 

Overall, I need to spend some more time with this production ( I'm returning in a few weeks) before I really decide how I feel about it. I think there are some wonderful aspects to the show (the signing/choreography is wonderful) but I don't think I'm as sold on it as others were. But I will say it has me thinking about the show in a whole new light which I think is a credit to this revival. 

Edit: FIXED. my mistake re. Jones.

Updated On: 9/9/15 at 12:05 AM

Golenboybway
#52Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/9/15 at 12:06am

Did anyone stagedoor? Did Matlin come out?

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#53Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/9/15 at 12:13am

I agree with dave about missing some of the fun and color from the original. Even just the brightly colored ties of the prep school uniforms add so much visually. Arden does keep the tone consistent here, but it's awfully depressing. There was more of a sense of playfulness with the rock music in the original I think. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#54Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/9/15 at 12:18am

Whizzer, obviously Grey Gardens is the superior show (and I wish the new production would transfer, but that's not going to happen) and should have won those awards. "Will You?" alone is better than the entire score to Spring Awakening and none of the lyrics in SA can come close to the brilliant "Five-Fifteen".

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#55Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/9/15 at 12:20am

Christine Jones' lighting jutting out all over the theater and coming down and out was such a wonderful experience.

That was Kevin Adams who did the lighting for the original production. Christine Jones only did the sets.

WhizzerMarvin
#56Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/9/15 at 12:25am

Oh totally, Sally. Jerry Likes My Corn, Revolutionary Costume For Today and Around the World are three of the greatest songs written for the stage in the past decade. 

Little Edie's outburst in Around the World, juxtaposed with the melancholy longing that follows is more terrifying and moving IMO than any of the same attempts in Spring Awakening. 

I guess I'm saying you can dress up the show with all the cool directorial tricks you want, but you still have the same book and lyrics as before.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

GreenSharpie Profile Photo
GreenSharpie
#57Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/9/15 at 12:26am

WhizzerMarvin TrinaJasonMendel said: "I agree with dave about missing some of the fun and color from the original. Even just the brightly colored ties of the prep school uniforms add so much visually. Arden does keep the tone consistent here, but it's awfully depressing. There was more of a sense of playfulness with the rock music in the original I think."

This interpretation is set within the real historical context that deaf people in the late 1800's were not allowed to use sign language and instead forced to use 'oralism' (speech), which effectively silenced them and, as in this revival, ruined their lives. It's certainly a lot heavier than basic angsty teenagers so yes, it's more depressing, but also so much more powerful. At least when I saw it in LA.

Then again, no need to compare the two groundbreaking productions (although I am sure that will happen no matter what)!

Updated On: 9/9/15 at 12:26 AM

WhizzerMarvin
#58Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/9/15 at 12:34am

Yes, and I do believe the tone of this production was more consistent. The original played many of the songs almost like fantasy sequences, what with the handheld mics and "rock concert" stagings. The show is plenty heavy as it is, so this allowed for a little levity and fun now and then. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#59Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/9/15 at 12:47am

The original had a juxtaposition to it with the book scenes and music and I honestly hated any moment where there wasn't music. The book scenes were just really boring to me. And the music, at least, was fun to listen even if the lyrics don't make any sense. You can call them poetic all you want, but they ain't good.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#60Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/9/15 at 1:10am

Anyone sit in the Mezz tonight? Would love to get a perspective from someone perched above the stage. Is this a "big, little show" that they're trying to sell it as?

jawjuhh
#61Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/9/15 at 1:27am

Matlin did come out to stagedoor

Updated On: 9/9/15 at 01:27 AM

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#62Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/9/15 at 1:34am

Jordan Catalano said: "If someone goes to the stage door, can you let me know if Marlee Matlin comes out? 

"

She did, and she is a sweetheart. 

I was very fond of the original production, but I may have liked this one even better. It's an absolutely thrilling concept (as an actor who has been debating going back to school for her ASL interpreter certification especially) that is well performed. My only quibble with the show is also Katie Boeck. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

GreenSharpie Profile Photo
GreenSharpie
#63Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/9/15 at 1:52am

So strange, I thought Katie Boeck was lovely in LA. We also can't forget that this was the very first preview on Broadway, so it may have been nerves. I think she has a beautiful voice, and to the person who complained earlier that she seemed "as if she were dependent on watching the signing of her counterpart," isn't that the point? She is just the voice of Wendla after all, so she damn well better follow the actual Wendla's lead. What I liked about her performance was how ego-less it seemed. She doesn't try to steal the spotlight- instead she takes the cues from Sandra Mae Frank's beautiful portrayal. I can't really say the same for Moritz's voice, but he improved upon second viewing. In the early preview I saw he didn't seem to try to follow Daniel Durant's lead at all. I think the 'voices' ideally need to take a step back and let the deaf actors shine.

Updated On: 9/9/15 at 01:52 AM

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#64Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/9/15 at 2:13am

GreenSharpie THANK YOU. You said exactly what I was thinking. I met Katie Boeck after the show in LA and specifically complemented her for how great her voice was and how she followed the sign language so well. (At least in LA, some people were not singing/acting at the same time with their lead)

I think people need to treat this like Avenue Q and act like the voice people aren't there.. pay attention to the sign language from the leads. Also I felt like Wendla's voice is the person in her head.. or her shadow.. that makes more sense (in the beginning she is looking at herself in the mirror). Katie's voice was what I remembered the most. She is there to play guitar, sing, and act WITH her voice.

broadwayguy2
#65Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/9/15 at 3:25am

Personally, I adored Boeck.

mcKenzie is a star.

Manheim and Page are magic. Frank is a much stronger Wendla than Michele.

Rodriguez is chilling... Especially when she (SPOILER) runs on post-gun shot.

i thought the images of death in this production, with the actors ripped apart, with moritz left alone with no voice, were incredibly moving.

the use of silence and signing with supertitles and the deaf actors speaking was just revelatory in so many ways.

purple summer left me in a pool of tears.

i need yo go back. Wish I could recall more names, but playbills were not given at the dress.

(I particularly loved the Hanschen - Ernst scene. Mientus was deliciously predatory and having the voice of Ernst reacting as he was made the scene really come alive.)

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#66Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/9/15 at 3:56am

Katie Boeck is wonderful and her voice is amazing. I rushed home to look her up online and hear more of her. It escapes me how anyone could think differently.  Sandra Mae Frank is such a strong beautiful Actress and she and Boeck had a magical connection I found extremely moving.

The show IS dark and that is the point, If you are looking for a lighter, (more comical) show, look elsewhere.  The Hanschen-Ernst scene is staged with a deft hand and will give you a moment of light if you need it, but again, the show is very dark and it grabbed my soul and wouldn't let go.  You can't ask for much more than that.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Treshelle Edmond as Martha, she is a terrific Actress and her Martha is heart breaking.

I guess I have trouble with people looking for "a little fun" here.  It's just my opinion but the tone and mood of this version are what made it so special for me, The Acting here is flawless and I did not see a weak link on that stage, the concentration it must take for these Actors to work together and pull this off is intense and they make it look easy and seamless.  

Updated On: 9/9/15 at 03:56 AM

Broadwaystar2
#67Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/9/15 at 5:15am

LimelightMike said: "Anyone sit in the Mezz tonight? Would love to get a perspective from someone perched above the stage. Is this a "big, little show" that they're trying to sell it as?

I think you will find the Mezz seating to be to your advantage. There is so mch going on. So to be looking down and at eye level with some of the action happening on the higher parts of the set. I found it better to actually be in the Mezzanine. You'll be glad you sat there. 

"

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#68Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/9/15 at 6:19am

Does this production utilize nudity like the original did?

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#69Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/9/15 at 6:26am

If it's like it was in LA, yes.

WhizzerMarvin
#70Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/9/15 at 7:22am

CPD, Maybe I should clarify my "a little fun" comment. I wasn't going into this looking for Anything Goes, just like I would never walk into a production of Next to Normal looking for a little fun, although in the case of the latter there is plenty of humor and fun to be found, even with the dark and heavy subject matter. For example, the Psychopharmacologist and I sequence had so much fun infused in it, and I didn't realize how important I found it to be until I saw a production in Brooklyn a few years later that scrubbed that scene of it's silliness and levity to present a darker picture of her mental illness. It was a completely valid approach, but I ultimately missed the fun, especially knowing the depths of despair that were to follow.

Likewise, I didn't realize I would miss the early playfulness (and showiness) of Groff and especially Gallagher's performances until last night.

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#71Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/9/15 at 7:29am

I should probably specify that my problem with Katie Boeck had nothing to do with her voice. She sang it well. I just didn't feel that her performance particularly complemented that of Sandra Mae Frank (who is absolutely STUNNING). 

However, I will agree with you on Treshelle Edmond. One of the more understatedly beautiful performances in the show. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234
Updated On: 9/9/15 at 07:29 AM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#72Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/9/15 at 7:54am

adamgreer said: "Does this production utilize nudity like the original did?"

Should be double the nudity, no?! Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#73Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/9/15 at 8:28am

There is nudity but not heavily.

I was front row mezz, and I think Mezz seating or seating further back in the orchestra, would be ideal for this production. There are a lot of stage pictures and utilization of multiple parts of the set- friends that were in the front orch said they felt they were missing things.

While this production is overall cooler in tone and aesthetics, the moments that are allowed to pop with warm colors really are extremely effective and moving.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#74Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews
Posted: 9/9/15 at 9:16am

I'm really torn as to where to sit for this show. I want to be sure I can clearly read and understand all the sign language but I can't spend a fortune. If I did end up in the rear mezz, would the ASL still read clearly from up there with the lighting of this show?