pixeltracker

Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?- Page 3

Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#50Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/29/15 at 11:24pm

everythingtaboo said: "A lot of people confuse whispering with speaking at normal volume, except really breathy. Anyway, why people can't shut up I'll never understand. I go people sometimes who try to talk and I just nod in reply. "

I once did standing room next to a person I wasn't necessarily friends with, but we knew of each other and had spoken in line before. DURING A SONG she decides to turn to me and tell me how much she misses that performer's predecessor. WTF? (A) I don't care and (B) why are you telling me this during the show?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#51Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/29/15 at 11:25pm

^ That'll teach you to make eye contact.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#52Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/29/15 at 11:33pm

Mariel, next time you see it happen, be sure to complain to the house manager that someone near you whispered to a friend. Ok hun?

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#53Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/29/15 at 11:37pm

When the lights go down, shut your mouth. Movie, play, musical, opera, ballet, it's all the same. You are not more important than the thing that you paid to come and see.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#54Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/29/15 at 11:45pm

If you are excited  to say a few words to your friend about  something in the show which you nor they will remember after the show, since it probably is a fleeing moment that you deserve to share,  whispering in their ear is the considerate way to do it. 

If you have no tolerance for another person doing that, you sound like a stuffed shirt who wandered over here from ATC. (does that place still exist?)

VintageSnarker
#55Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/29/15 at 11:56pm

"The urge to speak during key scenes -- or immediately after personal annotation  -- "she's so good here, she usually plays comedy, but she's very believable, don'tcha think?" --  seems to be catching."

Oh, God. This so much. I usually just suck it up and stay silent. I haven't noticed it too much on Broadway. It seems to happen quite a bit at off-Broadway shows and occasionally when I see Met Live in HD broadcasts.

"I am 6'3" and entirely sympathetic to your sight problem. Without being asked, I will rearrange the seating of my party so that our shortest member sits in front of you and I sit in front of your tallest companion."

You are an angel.

"I don't agree that talking to a neighbor should be an expected part of the theater experience. But by the same token, we should expect to maintain our concentration during minor distractions such as whispering or a partially blocked view. Even an occasional cough or mid-scene trip to the bathroom should be something we can survive."

I agree with your theory about private/public viewing of art. But I think expecting minor distractions is different from tolerating rudeness. As for the bathroom thing, I once went to a show where a girl got up 10 minutes before the intermission. I mean, really?

Phantom4ever
#56Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/29/15 at 11:57pm

I have a friend that sees shows with me frequently and he always tries to do with Jane2 does- just make random comments that distract me and that could totally wait for an applause moment or better yet for the end of the act.  What I do is pretend not to notice he's whispering to me or I just look at him with a furrowed brow and he usually gives  up trying to talk during the show.

it sounds like we are heading in the direction of everyone in the theater having a reason to talk at any given time.  This is why I try my best to sit as far up as possible. The random yammering is less annoying when it's behind me. 

Updated On: 11/29/15 at 11:57 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#57Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 12:00am

talking during a show except in an emergency is egocentric at best and narcissistic at worst. Unfortunately, people suffering from either of those conditions are by definition not only oblivious to the wrongness of their behavior but actually proud of it. That is a part of the pathology. That is the essence of what is on display in this thread. Regrettably it is pointless to try to reason with people with these sorts of diseases. Just like body odor, it is just something we have to do our best to ignore. 

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#58Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 12:09am

^ haha, first laugh of the night! thanks Hogan, I mean Sigmund.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#59Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 12:12am

it's been fun while it lasted, folks, but time to turn in. Sleep well, everyone~

atuomala Profile Photo
atuomala
#60Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 12:21am

I don't know if it's a generational thing or an individual thing. I find 'younger' (20-30 rage) audiences to be more respectful and conscious over their behavior than most 'elderly' audience members. Some older patrons have this attitude that they are above courtesy and owe it to no one. I've seen young ushers get verbally abused because there's no elevator, the bathroom is in the lobby, etc... All things that are not the fault of the ushers, but they get hassled for it anyways. I once sat far right orchestra in the very first row and the (young-ish) couple next to me would not stop talking to each other, and it was during spoken scenes and not during musical numbers.

"Mostly, I loved the size of these people's emotions. Nobody has emotions this size anymore. Outsized emotions. Operatic emotions. Kushemski and Vanda are like Tristan and Isolde, they're Paolo and Francesca. Nobody's in total thrall like this anymore. Nobody's overcome by passion like this, or goes through this kind of rage." Thomas, Venus in Fur

LizzieCurry
#61Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 12:26am

I've definitely found what you've said to be the case as well, atuomala. 

The one time I saw Cinderella on Broadway (and Elf on tour), I was afraid both times that the children in the audience would make a lot of noise -- this wasn't the case. Those were two really great audiences. Some of them got a little predictably wiggly when they were restless, but they were pretty engaged, but quiet for the most part. It was their parents who were making more noise, either to each other or to check up on the kids, who really didn't need any checking up on.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#62Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 12:28am

There is a separate issue involving some elder audiences but it is not an "attitude." 

By the way, that egocentric/narcissistic disorder is the same etiology that was widely publicized during the Madonna at Hamilton debacle.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#63Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 12:40am

I also don't quite get the people who think the overture is more of a notice to start wrapping up their conversations, and not like, the show beginning...

LittleEdieFan
#64Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 2:41am

How hard should it be for an adult to sit still and quiet for a couple of hours and enjoy a show they paid a lot of money for. 

ghostlight2
#65Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 2:45am

"Part of the enjoyment of going to a show with a friend is to share some thoughts about it at the moment. You and Lizzie Curry may not care to do that but my friends and I (all theater professionals) do."

You and your friends may work in theater, Jane, but you are not being professional if you're talking during a performance. Theater professionals really, really don't talk during performances. My theater-going partners and I frequently split up in order to get better seats, because, after all, we won't be talking to one another during the show. At intermission, sure. After, most definitely. During? 

Not ever. It's rude to the performers and rude to your fellow patrons. It also takes you, yourself, out of the play. I am very surprised that you not only defend talking during a performance, but do it yourself.

You've admitted yourself that you sometimes speak louder than you mean to because of your hearing loss. I really hope you rethink this entitled habit of yours.

Updated On: 11/30/15 at 02:45 AM

sueb1863 Profile Photo
sueb1863
#66Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 6:33am

How hard should it be for an adult to sit still and quiet for a couple of hours and enjoy a show they paid a lot of money for. <<

Thanks to the constant stream of stimulation from phones, tablets, computers, etc., a growing number of people these days don't know how to sit still, be quiet, and pay strict attention to anything. They can't tell the difference any more between something that's 'live' and something that's on a screen and not live. A theater show is just one more thing they can talk back to because I think people have lost the ability to understand that those are real people up there who can see and hear them, not a TV show or YouTube video that doesn't know they're there. They're so used to being able to talk back to the screen that they don't know how to stop, even when the screen isn't there.

Updated On: 11/30/15 at 06:33 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#67Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 6:44am

Oh, please.  They know there are real people in front of them, they just forgot that it's different.

I also don't think it's an age thing . There are just far more adults in a theater than younger people.

I've had my share of talkers of every age.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

theatreguy12
#68Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 6:44am

haterobics said: "I also don't quite get the people who think the overture is more of a notice to start wrapping up their conversations, and not like, the show beginning..."

I agree.  I love an overture and am focused the minute it starts.   It's distracting when others aren't.  I mean, it doesn't exactly set my teeth on edge, but can still be bothersome.

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#69Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 6:58am

As I previously mentioned, JB. These threads get rather large Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?

Updated On: 11/30/15 at 06:58 AM

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#70Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 7:43am

^ Who cares? If you don't,  why are you bothering to read it? 

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

ArtMan
#71Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 7:57am

Oh my gosh people.  Jane isn't talking about carrying on a full 5 minute conversation to the person next to her.  I will be the first to say I hate cell phones, I hate unwrapping of candy, I hate excessive talking.  If I could be in the theater  (movie or Broadway)  completely by myself that would be my ultimate experience.  But for all of you that stated you have never talked during a show, I call out bull****.  To state that you never ever ever ever ever, turned to a friend/companion and whispered  "wow that's amazing"  (when the ship came out at King and I) or when Chita first makes her appearance at The Visit and you state "she looks fantastic"or hundreds of other type comments during a show, I ain't buying it.  I know I have.  Maybe Jane and I are the honest ones here.

Updated On: 11/30/15 at 07:57 AM

ArtMan
#72Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 7:57am

double post

Updated On: 11/30/15 at 07:57 AM

LizzieCurry
#73Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 9:01am

ArtMan said: "But for all of you that stated you have never talked during a show, I call out bull****.  To state that you never ever ever ever ever, turned to a friend/companion and whispered  "wow that's amazing"  (when the ship came out at King and I) or when Chita first makes her appearance at The Visit and you state "she looks fantastic"or hundreds of other type comments during a show, I ain't buying it.  I know I have.  Maybe Jane and I are the honest ones here."

I KNOW MY TRUTH, ART!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#74Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 9:29am

ArtMan said: "But for all of you that stated you have never talked during a show, I call out bull****. "

Does, "Shhhh!!" count? If so, ya got me!