pixeltracker

Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?- Page 4

Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?

ArtMan
#75Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 9:56am

Jeff, You know dam well that as much as you like to talk and make (really funny) one liners, that you are doing more at shows than just "shhh"!smiley

Updated On: 11/30/15 at 09:56 AM

Petralicious Profile Photo
Petralicious
#76Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 10:02am

easy.... because too many people have no respect for anyone but themself. Before you blame just young people, remember, old people are the ones who raised them without honouring rules or authority.

When They Go Low, I Go High

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#77Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 10:20am

Well, I did talk during the show at The Illusionists, but only because their nance brought me up onstage. Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?

And there was a very involved JCM carwash, but talking didn't come up...

Updated On: 11/30/15 at 10:20 AM

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#78Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 10:57am

I get that people talking and eating is annoying but it's always going to happen. Get over it and enjoy the show. Or tell the usher.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#79Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 11:00am

Hamilton22 said: "I get that people talking and eating is annoying but it's always going to happen. Get over it and enjoy the show. Or tell the usher."

I get that people starting threads on topics you may not care to discuss is annoying but it's always going to happen. Get over it and don't post in the thread.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#80Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 11:02am

Hamilton22 said: "I get that people talking and eating is annoying but it's always going to happen. Get over it and enjoy the show. Or tell the usher."

CarlosAlberto said: "I get that people starting threads on topics you may not care to discuss is annoying but it's always going to happen. Get over it and don't post in the thread."

I get that people want to use logic to try and guide Hamilton22's behavior on BWW, but it is has never shown to have any effect. Get over it and enjoy the site.

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#81Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 11:02am

Wouldn't me posting in this thread suggest that I got over whatever I wasn't getting over?

CarlosAlberto
#82Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 11:18am

haterobics said: "Hamilton22 said: "I get that people talking and eating is annoying but it's always going to happen. Get over it and enjoy the show. Or tell the usher."

CarlosAlberto said: "I get that people starting threads on topics you may not care to discuss is annoying but it's always going to happen. Get over it and don't post in the thread."

I get that people want to use logic to try and guide Hamilton22's behavior on BWW, but it is has never shown to have any effect. Get over it and enjoy the site."

I get what you are saying but if I wasn't directing my response to you I don't see why that would effect your own ability to get over it and enjoy the site.

CarlosAlberto
#83Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 11:21am

Hamilton22 said: "Wouldn't me posting in this thread suggest that I got over whatever I wasn't getting over?"

lulz.

ghostlight2
#84Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 11:29am

"If you are excited  to say a few words to your friend about  something in the show which you nor they will remember after the show, since it probably is a fleeing moment that you deserve to share,  whispering in their ear is the considerate way to do it."

You're already sharing that moment. What if you're excited and feel the need to comment a lot? Is that still ok? The rest of us deserve to enjoy the moment without distraction. Also, if the fleeing [sic] moment is so remarkable, why wouldn't you remember it later?

"If you have no tolerance for another person doing that, you sound like a stuffed shirt who wandered over here from ATC. (does that place still exist?)"

So, if we don't agree with you, your response is to insult? And yes, ATC still exists. They don't allow posters to insult each other there.

"But for all of you that stated you have never talked during a show, I call out bull****.  To state that you never ever ever ever ever, turned to a friend/companion and whispered  "wow that's amazing"  (when the ship came out at King and I) or when Chita first makes her appearance at The Visit and you state "she looks fantastic"or hundreds of other type comments during a show, I ain't buying it.  I know I have. "

Nope, I never, ever have. My friend is seeing the same show I am, and knows the ship is amazing and that Chita looks fantastic. What is the point of saying it aloud? 

hork Profile Photo
hork
#85Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 11:30am

ArtMan said: "Oh my gosh people.  Jane isn't talking about carrying on a full 5 minute conversation to the person next to her.  I will be the first to say I hate cell phones, I hate unwrapping of candy, I hate excessive talking.  If I could be in the theater  (movie or Broadway)  completely by myself that would be my ultimate experience.  But for all of you that stated you have never talked during a show, I call out bull****.  To state that you never ever ever ever ever, turned to a friend/companion and whispered  "wow that's amazing"  (when the ship came out at King and I) or when Chita first makes her appearance at The Visit and you state "she looks fantastic"or hundreds of other type comments during a show, I ain't buying it.  I know I have.  Maybe Jane and I are the honest ones here.

Nope, sorry. Some of us actually can contain ourselves from making inane and pointless comments. Shocking, I know.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#86Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 1:50pm

A lot of things in life are "always going to happen," but that doesn't mean we need to suck it up.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#87Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 3:22pm

If this thread were a play, I would definitely be marking some quiet remarks to my theatregoing companion.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#88Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 3:26pm

Kad, as long as I get top billing. Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#89Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 4:08pm

I went to see Matilda in Philly a couple weeks ago and had a woman sitting in front of myself and my friend talking on the phone a good portion of the second act. We would shh her and end up with a glare from her and her young daughter, as if we were the ones being disruptive. The lack of class with people nowadays is just disgusting, especially at theater.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

Jarethan
#90Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 6:23pm

I think there is a big difference between an ongoing conversation and a random comment.  I was at On Your Feet a couple of weeks ago and had to turn around three times to get the people behind me to stop talking.  They were carrying on an ongoing discussion, not ever about the show, which had barely started.  The first two times, I stared (which usually works), and they stopped for five minutes; the third time, I politely turned around, got their attention, and told them to shut the **** up.  I did not hear a thing from them for the rest of the show, although I receiced -- and returned -- very dirty looks at intermission.  That is inexcusable vs. whispering a quick 'this show is great' which I admit to doing during Kinf Charles III, which I venture no one heard but my wife (and which I said because I was not looking forward to seeing it and my wife knew that).

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#91Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 6:25pm

Hamilton22 said: "Kad, as long as I get top billing."

#notatop

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#92Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 6:59pm

90 comments about people talking in the theater? good lord. 

Ranger Tom
#93Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 7:34pm

I'm 59, raised by an opera lover, and learned early that you don't talk during performance.  You have the class and politeness to wait until intermission or after the show. Nope, we aren't robots but we can have enough self-determination to not be rude to the performers or to the audience.  

Also, I'm with some of you - if a show is disrupted by a rude talker/whisperer, it's more often my generation. Sad.  

Sorry Hamilton22 - 91. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#94Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 7:54pm

Yeah I guess Hamilton22 was right about that. I certainly didn't think my post would generate this much discussion. 

Personally, I'm not so bothered by people around me who whisper. I rarely notice it, and when I do, I find it easy to ignore. I'm not saying I condone it, but I didn't have whisperers in mind when I created this thread. At least whispering shows some awareness of where you are; you have something to say but you know you shouldn't talk out loud. Plus, I have found in different situations that there are ways to whisper which are more subtle than others ways. 

What really irritates me, and inspired me to create this thread, are the people who speak audibly above a whisper, which to me shows more bald-faced arrogance than whispering. Perhaps it does have to do with hearing loss, but that doesn't give them a right to talk and disturb others. They know the difference between whispering and speaking with your vocal cords. 

Also, as I said in my original post, it happens almost consistently in the first moments of the play/musical when people feel that they are entitled to finish their personal conversations. It may be rude to whisper a comment about the show, and it may be even more rude to say the comment out loud. But to me, having a personal conversation once the show has begun really takes the cake. 

Updated On: 11/30/15 at 07:54 PM

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#95Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 8:14pm

Yeah I guess Hamilton22 was right about that. I certainly didn't think my post would generate this much discussion.

Told ya Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?

Theater people love nothing more than to bitch about rudeness in the theater. Granted, their opinions are definitely valid because rudeness in the theater is certainly a major problem. But theater people definitely  get off on this topic.

It's like gathering around the watercooler to bitch about the boss. Pick a little talk a little pick a little talk a little Cheep cheep cheep talk alot pick a little more.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#96Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 8:25pm

I feel like a good portion of Hamilton's comments on this website consist of him complaining about something.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#97Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 11/30/15 at 8:41pm

I only complain about two things:

- People complaining about me.

- And those damn stagehands in Fiddler

mpkie
#98Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 1/1/16 at 8:53pm

Jane2 said: ""no, you can't speak without someone else hearing you."

WRONG WRONG a thousand times WRONG. Part of the enjoyment of going to a show with a friend is to share some thoughts about it at the moment. You and Lizzie Curry may not care to do that but my friends and I (all theater professionals) do.  Leaning over and whispering to my friends and they to me is done all the time. and we'll keep doing it. In all the decades I've been attending shows, I"ve shared thoughts on occasion with friends and never, never, have I had anyone shush me, or given me a look for any reason. EVER.

"

Did you know that when people lean in to whisper to each other, it blocks the view of the person sitting directly behind those two seats? That's how theater seating is arranged to provide a sight line to the stage. I appreciate not being able to hear the talking (maybe) but then I definitely can't see the stage. Quiet whispering is still the lesser evil / compromise to needing to talk loudly/eat loudly/crinkle wrappers/shake ice/make other type of noise.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#99Why do fully grown adults still think it's ok to talk in shows?
Posted: 1/1/16 at 9:16pm

"Did you know that when people lean in to whisper to each other, it blocks the view of the person sitting directly behind those two seats? "

And did you know that even if they are not whispering to each other, people shift positions of their bodies, including their heads,  during a show? it's natural. If the person in front of you happens to have to move their head because of people in front of them, then you are going to shift your own position to see the stage. We don't live in your utopian society. You might have to deal with a couple of seconds without a straight on view of the stage. 

I mean, really. I can't believe this even has to be explained.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES