pixeltracker

THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews- Page 3

THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#50THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 12/25/15 at 12:32pm

Just realized the production had a different orchestrator at the Chocolate Factory. Does anyone know if the orchestrations sounded noticeably different in London? I am quite impressed with the current orchestrations and sound quality in the theater. It's going to sound lovely on the cast recording. They also have a new costume design for Broadway, and judging by pictures/clips of the London production, it seems like the right choice. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#51THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 1/13/16 at 12:25am

http://www.theatermania.com/broadway/news/the-color-purple-delays-cast-recording-release_75571.html?cid=homepage_news

cast recording has been pushed back to Feb 12 due to changes in the recoding and production schedule. Hopefully that means they'll be adding the act one finale!!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#52THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 1/13/16 at 12:26am

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#53THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 1/13/16 at 2:25am

Fingers crossed.

WhatDoINeedWithLove?2
#54THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 1/13/16 at 8:52am

it also seems like such a missed opportunity not to include a bonus track of Cynthia & Jennifer singing The Color Purple, as it has been a big marketing tool for the production and they sound insane together when they do it. 

broadwayboy223
#55THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 1/13/16 at 9:13am

I don't think they are releasing that track because they emailed it to customers as a free gift. I have the email.

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#56THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 1/13/16 at 10:03am

broadwayboy223-Any way you can forward that email or PM me with it? I'd love to have the track

broadwayboy223
#57THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 1/13/16 at 1:39pm

Yes PM me your email address and I will gladly send it your way :)

WhatDoINeedWithLove?2
#58THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 1/13/16 at 5:08pm

I didn't know that! Would you mind sending to me too? I PMed my email to you. I'd so appreciate it. :) 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#59THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 1/14/16 at 12:14am

Saw the show again tonight and it was full cast. The performances are even stronger, if that's possible. Danielle Brooks is even funnier and more over-the-top. Jennifer Hudson is noticeably more confident on stage, and it's nice to see that her performance is growing, she can certainly act. Cynthia Erivo's performance has deepened even more, she completely broke my heart throughout the evening. And how amazing is her American accent? I am so in love with this production. 

Broadwaystar2
#60THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 1/14/16 at 12:43pm

ljay889 said: "Saw the show again tonight and it was full cast. The performances are even stronger, if that's possible. Danielle Brooks is even funnier and more over-the-top. Jennifer Hudson is noticeably more confident on stage, and it's nice to see that her performance is growing, she can certainly act. Cynthia Erivo's performance has deepened even more, she completely broke my heart throughout the evening. And how amazing is her American accent? I am so in love with this production. 

"

I was there again last night as well. And I second every thing you've said. The biggest surprise to me is the growth Jennifer has made from previews. I can easily put this production in my top 5 now. 

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#61THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 1/14/16 at 12:45pm

I'm so bummed I won't get to see this! 

We had tickets for a Sunday evening in April but we were told our performance was cancelled and we were refunded. Of course the rest of our slots are already full so I won't be able to rescheduled. 

Seriously. So bummed. 

Jesus saves. I spend.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#62THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 1/31/16 at 10:42am

The last time I felt so raw coming out of a show was a few years ago after seeing Judy Kuhn in Passion at Classic Stage.  I guess it's not a coincidence that Doyle directed that as well.  I am just getting up after going to bed early last night because I felt so emotionally overcome by this revival of The Color Purple.

This is definitely going into my "theater magic" memory banks.   I feel honored to treasure let alone talk about this for years to come.  The intimacy of the show worked wonders for me.   There is so much love amongst the ensemble that I felt as if I was invited into a spiritual pact with them for two and a half hours.  Doyle really is a genius in how he establishes a way for all that talent to blend so beautifully together.

Cynthia Erivo rendered me speechless which is why I literally had to go to bed early last night. Her performance just wiped me out.  Her expression alone can make you cry.  I sat in the fourth row of the orchestra and could see her tears.  And what she does with her hands just struck me as so Celie.  It's hard to describe but even her hands displayed so much emotion about the character.   

The sisterly love portrayed by Erivo and Joaquina Kalukango will get you.  The spirit between these two is palpable and I hope to see them both accept Tony's for their performances.

Jennifer Hudson, Danielle Brooks, Kyle Scatliffe and Isiah Johnson all turned in very strong performances.

I would like to send out an AMEN to the three church ladies who served up some much needed comic relief.  The performances by Rena Webb, Carrie Compere and Bre Jackson made me want to invite them all over for tea.  Electrical, 200%-plus performances!

I will definely revisit this show in the Spring.  This is a must see.

Updated On: 1/31/16 at 10:42 AM

sklabam
#63THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 1/31/16 at 11:11am

Just revisited on Friday night with friends.

Joaquina Kalukango as Nettie makes her better than I've ever seen before in the history of this show, second that for Cynthia, Jennifer and Danielle. Wiped out from it. Top three shows I've ever seen on stage - there with:
Gypsy (1989)
Passion (1994) and now The Color Purple (2015)

It is THAT GOOD.

Doyle's set stuns me as a metaphor for home, brokenness and the ways sitting and being still was a rare respite from hard lives of black folks of the time. Goodness, how Jennifer Hudson, has continued to grow and bring love and life into Shug Avery makes Push the Button sexier, dirtier and more animal than I've ever seen it before.

A+

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#64THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 1/31/16 at 11:50am

Anyone know of any discounts for APRIL for this?    Theatermania's only covers through March, which is the only one I found.

TIA.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Robyn2
#65THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 1/31/16 at 2:18pm

I cannot wait to see this play in March.

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#66THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 1/31/16 at 2:51pm

KJisgroovy said: "I'm so bummed I won't get to see this! 

We had tickets for a Sunday evening in April but we were told our performance was cancelled and we were refunded. Of course the rest of our slots are already full so I won't be able to rescheduled. 

Seriously. So bummed. 

"

I would try asking telecharge to switch the cancellation show with another show you have tickets to and then you can do CP in that slot. In my experience, despite saying no exchanges, they have been very helpful. I think it's worth a shot especially when you have a mitigating factor beyond your control.

@z5
#67THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 1/31/16 at 5:13pm

Definitely call and try talking to Telecharge. Honestly after seeing the show 4 times already, I cannot begin to explain how amazing it is. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#68THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 1/31/16 at 5:19pm

I went back and saw this again on Wednesday night. I was in the third row of orchestra off to the extreme side. Some of the set was not visible, but the way the show is staged, I missed nothing.

I REALLY liked the show the first time I saw it, but for some reason I still preferred the original production. I wasn't completely engaged with the show the first time I saw it since I had a HORRIBLE audience that was distracting beyond belief and detracted from the overall experience. Well, seeing the show a second time completely changed my opinion. This production is gold. John Doyle is a genius.

I said this before, but I will say it again... Cynthia Erivo is turning in the best performance of the season. Her "I'm Here" is not only the highlight of the show, but also the highlight of the season for me. It is worth the price of a ticket just to see her perform that song.

I DEFINITELY recommend seeing this if you have not already. I already can't wait to go back a third time.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

broadwayboy223
#69THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 2/7/16 at 7:32am

Saw the show last night and it was amazing. Beautiful. The whole cast is a knockout. Cynthia just is a force of nature. She indeed lived as Celie through the whole show. Everything was genuine and in the moment. Her Celie was honest. The girl playing Nettie is also a star in the making. Just wow. Jennifer was great as well. Though I wish she had more to do in the second act. I can't say enough amazing things about this show. GO SEE IT. I'm just amazed

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#70THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 3/6/16 at 1:35am

Finally saw the show this past week. (Briefly spoke to John Doyle after).

I only had two problems with the show. The opening number did not soar enough for me. It seemed that pretty much every note was there but some were shortened. Same with Push Da Button. My feeling is that with the way Mr. Doyle does his shows, he could have let the actors loose on that opening number and it would not have "diminisished" the scaled down production.

Outside of those two things I loved it. Erivo was just incredible and I like that in this production he did not shy away from Celie's being attracted to woman. That interation between Celie and Mr. when he asks to marry her was a fabulous moment. Loved hearing Hudson sing live. Her "Too Beautiful For Words" brought me to tears. And Brooks was wonderful. Don't watch her show but knew who she was. I would pay to see her onstage any day. 

I always am listening to the sound design and it was quite good. Didn't miss a word and the orchestra sounded wonderful.

Erivo got the standing O for "I'm Here", which was also more restrained than the original, and sang the hell out of it. That woman is a true force.

Glad I finally saw it. Erivo is not to be missed and neither is the show. This production hones in on the story and the entire cast is powerful. I LOVED the original and am glad this revival has arrived to bring is a bit more into the story.  As always, JMO

Just give the world Love.

Tkristop
#71THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 3/6/16 at 8:25pm

Anyone know when contracts are up for current cast? Will Cynthia and Jennifer be there thru summer?  

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#72THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 3/6/16 at 8:27pm

Tkristop said: "Anyone know when contracts are up for current cast? Will Cynthia and Jennifer be there thru summer?  

"

Good question 

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

BwayinVan
#73THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 4/28/16 at 11:13pm

Saw it tonight. Wow wow wow. It's already been said but Cynthia Erivo is a force of nature and her future on Broadway is bright. What she did up on that stage was something else and something I will never forget. The whole cast is so talented. Danielle Brooks was friggin hilarious and her chemistry with Kyle Scatliffe was great. Jennifer was a great Shug Avery and it was great to hear her in person. But Cynthia, unbelievable. I understand why everyone is saying she is the front runner for the Tony. She has some stiff competition this season but I really think they will be calling her name come June. 

The only thing that brought down my experience was the audience. Thankfully I was in the 6th row in the orchestra but man was there a lot of movement. People coming and going throughout...candy wrappers it was all distracting. However once Cynthia started singing for real it all went silent. She must have gotten at least 2 standing ovations during the show. 

Overall a great night. It you can see it GO! It was the first show that made me cry not because it was sad but because the talent was just that amazing. 

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#74THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 4/29/16 at 12:35pm

^ Tears for us as well, entirely due to the brilliant talent up there on that stage. In a week of seeing 7 shows on Broadway that ended 2 days ago, THE COLOR PURPLE stood high above the rest. This is the one show I'm raving about to my friends now. Magnificent work in every department, and if there is any justice, this is the cast that should see 5 or 6 Tony nominations in the acting categories alone. When those actors raise their voices high, it is like no other show this season!