pixeltracker

Does anyone eat at Per Se- Page 2

Does anyone eat at Per Se

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#25Does anyone eat at Per Se
Posted: 12/16/15 at 12:21pm

It's especially curious as the member emerged from months of utter silence to declare he was through with Broadway, and then started to post inane questions about it.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#26Does anyone eat at Per Se
Posted: 12/16/15 at 12:41pm

This thread made me laugh so I had, I figured I'd jump in with something off topic.

We are going to see Fiddler the day after Christmas with dinner beforehand at The Four Seasons (restaurant NOT the hotel).

Unlike Per Se, which I did not enjoy because I found it to be slow, overwrought, and pretentious, I love the Four Seasons for a high-end special occasion place. This is the restaurant with the famous "Pool Room" and Picasso curtain melodrama.

Unfortunately, the Four Seasons is losing its lease and is out in July I believe (nasty landlord). For anyone who LOVES duck, Four Seasons has an amazing roast duck, super crispy skin, carved tableside! Ask for Giuseppe as your captain and you'll be treated well. You won't feel like a poor kid looking in on rich people (like I did at Per Se).

Picasso melodrama:

http://www.vanityfair.com/style/society/2014/10/picasso-curtain-four-seasons-restaurant

Updated On: 12/16/15 at 12:41 PM

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#27Does anyone eat at Per Se
Posted: 12/16/15 at 2:57pm

Sally, do you recommend the pool room or grill room at the Four Seasons?

Phantom4ever
#28Does anyone eat at Per Se
Posted: 12/16/15 at 4:49pm

I am impressed with how people can keep tabs on message board participants.  Not being sarcastic. Seems like it may come in handy. 

KCW Profile Photo
KCW
#29Does anyone eat at Per Se
Posted: 12/16/15 at 6:05pm

All you need to know:

If they post a gif, probably an attention seeker

If they post an old picture, they know alot

If they advertise, they want to exploit the boards and are mean

If they are called phillypinto, Hamilton22 or Liza's Headband they are a troll

If they post with none of the above, they are here to converse about theatre

if they are before 2010 in terms of join date, respect them a bit more (cautiously)

I appoligise for any spelling mistakes. I may be on my mobile. Clumsy fingers and small little touchscreen keys don't mixx. I try to spellcheck, but I may miss something.

Stage Door Sally
#30Does anyone eat at Per Se
Posted: 12/16/15 at 6:11pm

JP, I highly recommend the Pool Room!

I forgot to mention, The Four Seasons has an excellent three-course pre-theater menu deal. Ask for the menu. I've enjoyed dining from it several times.

Also if you want a little something extra that's not on that menu, just mention it to Giuseppe.

At the end of the meal, they give you a very special fun extra treat. The likes of which I have not seen at any other fine dining establishment.

alliesinger Profile Photo
alliesinger
#31Does anyone eat at Per Se
Posted: 12/17/15 at 1:18pm

I wouldn't say I've eaten there per se...

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#32Does anyone eat at Per Se
Posted: 1/12/16 at 2:32pm

I wonder if the OP was onto something because this came out today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/13/dining/pete-wells-per-se-review.html?partner=IFTTT

I'm just kidding. I saw the place was trending on Twitter and I was curious as to why. I have never eaten there, so I cannot comment on it being good or bad. I just remembered this thread. 

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#33Does anyone eat at Per Se
Posted: 1/12/16 at 5:16pm

Speaking of duck - 

The duck carnitas at Cosme (21st Street) are OUT OF THIS WORLD.

http://nymag.com/bestofny/food/2015/duck-cosme/

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#34Does anyone eat at Per Se
Posted: 1/12/16 at 5:47pm

C'est tragique.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#35Does anyone eat at Per Se
Posted: 1/12/16 at 6:46pm

Ouch. A great review to read though. Curious to see what will follow.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

CercleRouge Profile Photo
CercleRouge
#36Does anyone eat at Per Se
Posted: 1/12/16 at 6:54pm

Ryan Sutton from Curbed called this months ago. I could see them losing a Michelin star.

cjmclaughlin10
#37Does anyone eat at Per Se
Posted: 1/12/16 at 7:31pm

For high end dinners in Midtown, I like Betony, Quality Meats, The Modern, Esca, Gabriel kreuther, Cosme, and Sushi Yasuda...To me, all of these are better than Per Se 

Per Se was also just given a major denotion by the New York Times critic  http://www.grubstreet.com/2016/01/new-york-times-two-star-per-se-review.html?mid=facebook_nymag

Pocahontas 2
#38Does anyone eat at Per Se
Posted: 1/12/16 at 8:09pm

Avoid the Four Seasons Hotel like the plague. 

Stage Door Sally
#39Does anyone eat at Per Se
Posted: 1/12/16 at 8:45pm

Just to clarify, my recommendation is for The Four Seasons restaurant, which is not affiliated with nor is it in the Four Seasons Hotel. Two different entities.

Our pre-theater dinner at The Four Seasons was spectacular. If someone can walk me through with how to post photos on here, I'll gladly do so.

Jose Profile Photo
Jose
#40Does anyone eat at Per Se
Posted: 1/12/16 at 11:12pm

For anyone who has been to Per Se, are there any gunshots?

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#41Does anyone eat at Per Se
Posted: 1/13/16 at 8:13am

Funny that talk turned to the Four Seasons (restaurant, not hotel).   When I heard about it's upcoming closing, we did our anniversary dinner there as we had never been there.  Food was OK, not wonderful, service was "disinterested", and when we asked for the pre-theatre menus we got rolled eyes as if to say "oh, cheapskates, huh?) -- yes the look was VERY clear.  When people have a 6 PM reservation, wouldn't you think the pre-theatre menu would be presented along with the regular one?

But the room while perhaps truly elegant in the 60's just seems lost in a time warp, and those beaded curtains -- please, how horribly outdated.  Reminded me of 1960's hotel ballrooms for convention dinners. Yes, the pool was a nice touch, but that's it -- even the fake trees looked absolutely worn and dirty. The whole evening just seemed so assembly line and rushed and not at all like we had imagined for years.   By contrast, our dinner the following night was at Gramercy Tavern and I can't think of a single thing that wasn't absolute perfection.  

Stage Door Sally
#42Does anyone eat at Per Se
Posted: 1/13/16 at 1:08pm

In stark contrast Patash, Giuseppe our captain gave us the pre-theater and regular menus without us asking. We were seated next to the pool without asking as well. When my daughter looked lovingly at my husband's Rum Raisin Souffle, our server quietly brought her one, on the house. The duck was excellent, carved tableside. So no complaints here.

However, it was noticeable that the staff is uneasy about their future. A lot of guests were asking about it. It's gotta be a downer for them.

brdway411
#43Does anyone eat at Per Se
Posted: 1/13/16 at 4:47pm

Pete Wells called their broth "bong water"....go get em Pete. 

Videos