Fox's next live musical

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#25Fox's next live musical
Posted: 2/1/16 at 3:30pm

"Grease Live! WAS a Broadway stage musical live; it just wasn't done in the more straightforward "broadcast theater" style that NBC has been using for its productions"

OK, I did not watch it yet. Recorded it and will watch this week. From what I read, people seem to be saying it was more like a movie being done live.

FindingNamo
#26Fox's next live musical
Posted: 2/1/16 at 3:30pm

Except insofar as movies aren't done live.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#27Fox's next live musical
Posted: 2/1/16 at 3:31pm

Ariana Grande as....wait for it.....

EVITA!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#28Fox's next live musical
Posted: 2/1/16 at 3:31pm

It was more like the movie done live, yes.

Which means they won't take risks like that by totally reinventing a stage show without it already having been done for them.

... which is why West Side Story is a such a strong contender.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

CarlosAlberto
#29Fox's next live musical
Posted: 2/1/16 at 3:32pm

But she needs to sing it as Celine Dion because her Celine Dion impression is fvcking hilarious!!

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#30Fox's next live musical
Posted: 2/1/16 at 3:35pm

They would never pick it because no one knows it, but Drood would translate terribly to television. In the show, there's about 10 minutes tops between when the voting concludes and when the murderer is decided, and the fun of that show is seeing it live and in a theatre. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#31Fox's next live musical
Posted: 2/1/16 at 3:42pm

After Grease Live, they aren't going to look for shows that are "stage-bound" like Drood or A Chorus Line, or anything on a unit or solo set. They'll want to open them up and try new things on TV, because if they don't, they will be called out for taking a step backwards in development.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Buddy Plummer2
#32Fox's next live musical
Posted: 2/1/16 at 3:45pm

I will say, if all the networks decide to jump on board, I'd love to see Disney take a crack at doing some of their shows live. Maybe not Lion King, but Newsies or Mary Poppins would be fantastic.

Or maybe a property that hasn't been adapted yet: Tangled, Pocahontas, Hercules?

But if Fox keeps doing live musicals, can we all pray they don't do the obvious and have Ryan Murphy direct Lea Michele in Funny Girl?

CarlosAlberto
#33Fox's next live musical
Posted: 2/1/16 at 3:45pm

That's why they should do EVITA and transmit it live from Argentina!! 

Updated On: 2/1/16 at 03:45 PM

BobbyBubbi  Profile Photo
BobbyBubbi
#34Fox's next live musical
Posted: 2/1/16 at 3:47pm

'In the Heights' maybe? 

Petralicious Profile Photo
Petralicious
#35Fox's next live musical
Posted: 2/1/16 at 3:49pm

Heathers or Mamma Mia would attract the same audience.  More than just theater lovers

When They Go Low, I Go High

CarlosAlberto
#36Fox's next live musical
Posted: 2/1/16 at 3:49pm

They should do IN THE HEIGHTS and broadcast it from Washington Heights for authenticity's sake! 

It's gritty, it's urban, it's hip and it's written by that guy that wrote HAMILTON!!!!!

BobbyBubbi  Profile Photo
BobbyBubbi
#37Fox's next live musical
Posted: 2/1/16 at 3:54pm

I have no idea how it would translate, but yea, I think it might work and checks off a lot of boxes. 

Shrek3
#38Fox's next live musical
Posted: 2/1/16 at 3:56pm

I'd love to see Flora the Red Menace get a live broadcast next.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#39Fox's next live musical
Posted: 2/1/16 at 3:59pm

Mamma Mia, Guys and Dolls, My Fair Lady, 42nd Street, Seussical, The Producers, Cinderella, and Dreamgirls could be fun. I'd also love to see a more dramatic musical, such as Ragtime, Evita, or Fiddler On The Roof. I'm surprised we haven't gotten something by Andrew Lloyd Webber or a Disney musical on ABC. I could see Mary Poppins or The Little Mermaid come to life easily.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind the Lea Michele-"Funny Girl" thing finally coming to fruition as a live television musical as opposed to a stage version. If it's destined to happen, this os a way to go about it. Plus, she and Ryan Murphy have ties to Fox.

Or just film Hamilton. Easy enough.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#40Fox's next live musical
Posted: 2/1/16 at 4:04pm

I could see Show Boat being done.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#41Fox's next live musical
Posted: 2/1/16 at 4:11pm

Little shop

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

DigificWriter
#42Fox's next live musical
Posted: 2/1/16 at 4:15pm

best12bars said: "It was more like the movie done live, yes.

"

What they essentially did was take the CONTENTS of the film script, mix it with elements from the stage script, and block it out for theatrical staging as filmed on soundstages and a backlot, which I think is a format that worked well and should continue to be used by them and them alone.

Wildcard
#43Fox's next live musical
Posted: 2/1/16 at 5:04pm

Looking at past musicals that have had less than stellar film adaptations as well as broad audience appeal, I'd like to see live versions of:

• A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
  • The Phantom of the Opera
  • Mame
  • Guys and Dolls

Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
#44Fox's next live musical
Posted: 2/1/16 at 5:26pm

Footloose wouldn't be a bad idea, a film many people know with several known songs, decent amount of dancing and get Derek hough to reprise his role that he did in the west end

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#45Fox's next live musical
Posted: 2/1/16 at 5:35pm

Oh! Calcutta!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#46Fox's next live musical
Posted: 2/1/16 at 5:58pm

Little Shop is an excellent choice.

I wonder if they would consider La Cage.

....but the world goes 'round

VintageSnarker
#47Fox's next live musical
Posted: 2/1/16 at 6:05pm

Is it possible that a West Side Story is coming? I ask because going off of Glee, they've picked Grease and Rocky Horror so West Side Story seems like the next one up that they had the rights to (aside from Funny Girl).

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#48Fox's next live musical
Posted: 2/1/16 at 6:44pm

Fox want to do either young casted and or edgy musicals that don't involve unit sets.

My guess on possible productions would be:

Rent

Spring Awakening (Totally F*CKed=Totally Stuck)

Newsies (Disney could easily pawn off the demand for a remake by having Fox do it for them and considering Fox can only mostly promote Live productions through Disney owned talkers its a perfect partnership)

West Side Story (although i think this may be a little old for Fox)

Any jukebox musical

On the No list for Fox would be:

Hair (Its a plotless musical that would fall apart kn screen)

In the Heights (Greenblatt at NBC is a producer of Hamilton)

Wilmingtom
#49Fox's next live musical
Posted: 2/1/16 at 7:02pm

I'll second Pippin, which doesn't have an iconic film to compete with, has roles for young pop stars with a score to suit their voices, and opportunities for older stars in cameo roles.  Bye Bye Birdie isn't a bad idea but blowing the dust off that title would be a challenge. 

Videos