pixeltracker

Kelli O'Hara Departs King and I on April 17th - Marin Mazzie to step in!- Page 9

Kelli O'Hara Departs King and I on April 17th - Marin Mazzie to step in!

jonlow09
#200Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/6/16 at 9:14pm

I was there on Wednesday night and it was surprisingly empty. I was front row center of the loge and there was hardly anyone in the other sections of the loge. 

The performances were great though! Marin was mature and nuanced and Daniel was commanding and charismatic.

Dysquith13 Profile Photo
Dysquith13
#201Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/7/16 at 5:12pm

So glad to hear that this production and new cast is amazing!

I was wondering if Student Rush tickets were still being offered for this show, since I heard they happen pretty inconsistently. My and my SO are going to NYC on May 25-29, and may see this on the 28th (we're also seeing The Color Purple and Hamilton) - Both of us really want to see this, and we would be up to pay full price for Rear Loge, but we'd like to save money where we can. Also, for LincTix, my SO is 22, but I'm only 20, so we can't do both, unless we coordinate and she gets her LincTix ticket and I get my regular Loge ticket. Any advice?

"

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#202Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/13/16 at 5:06pm

Snagged third-row center aisle for tonight. Can't wait to see this again--and with Marin!

indytallguy
#203Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/13/16 at 5:20pm

I thought Lincoln Center might do a special email blast to members with a ticket discount when the cast changed. Did they do such a thing and somehow I missed it?

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#204Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/13/16 at 8:04pm

I was just thinking that if Lincoln Center does a live broadcast of one of the final performances on the last weekend of King and I for its Live From Lincoln Center series, it could be awkward if Kelli were brought back just so she could appear on the national broadcast. 

When Lincoln Center did this with South Pacific, Kelli just bumped Laura Osnes out of the role. Laura was not that well known yet. With King and I, we would have one star replacing another.

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#205Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/13/16 at 11:18pm

I see your point but Kelly originated AND won the Tony for the role in this revival, I don't see anyone having an issue with her coming back.

Andre4 Profile Photo
Andre4
#206Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/14/16 at 12:23pm

Helle everyone,

I bought a ticket for tonight on TDF only to see afterwards that Marin is out tonight - did not expect that on a Saturday night! Does anyone know how her understudy is?

UnwoundFantasies
#207Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/14/16 at 12:25pm

Yea I think Marin is out this weekend for events she had pre scheduled. Her dates should be on telecharge. But the understudy is Analisa Leaming

Andre4 Profile Photo
Andre4
#208Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/14/16 at 12:31pm

Thanks so much! Any reports on how Analisa is in the role?

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#209Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/14/16 at 12:44pm

^ I saw Analisa in the role late last year and she is simply phenomenal!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#210Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/14/16 at 12:52pm

Analisa covered the role during the two weeks between O'Hara's departure and Mazzie's arrival. There's posts about her performance (I think in this thread, actually) and by all accounts, she is excellent. 

ghostlight2
#211Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/14/16 at 1:17pm

Analisa is an excellent Anna. I believe Marin is only out today, a pre-existing concert commitment.  I believe she is back in tomorrow. 

DrewJoseph
#212Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/14/16 at 7:12pm

I'm still waiting for tickets to come available for mid september. Does anyone know if it's usual for Lct to hold back a new block of tickets for so long? I mean, every other show on broadway (unless it's closing) has open bookings till at least october. I'm starting to worry the show will close september 4th and I'll never be able to see this beautiful revival on Broadway.. Any news pr thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Andre4 Profile Photo
Andre4
#213Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/15/16 at 12:48am

Just for the record, I LOVED Analisa and Daniel together - they had fabulous chemistry and she was great! I even liked her a bit better than Kelli who was wonderful. But she was a bit sassier, which worked for me. They were all so nice afterwards and signed and took pictures. Daniel seemed like such a sweetheart! 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#214Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/15/16 at 5:05pm

I heard from a source at brunch today...the K&I is closing in July.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#215Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/15/16 at 5:09pm

Marin Mazzie*, Daniel Dae Kim (thru 6/26)

**Marin Mazzie will not appear in the following performances:  
- May 14, 2016 @ 2pm & 8pm
- June 14, 2016 @ 7pm
- June 15, 2016 @ 2pm & 8pm
- June 16, 2016 @ 7pm

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#216Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/15/16 at 9:20pm

Robbie2 said: "I heard from a source at brunch today...the K&I is closing in July."

What part of July?

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#217Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/15/16 at 10:17pm

I heard from a source today that the show was running through the end of the year and something was scheduled to come in the first quarter of next year.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#218Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/15/16 at 11:08pm

I saw the matinee today and both Marin and Daniel Dae Kim are excellent. I know I'm in a small minority of people that don't especially care for Kelli O'Hara, but I've never found her to be a particularly engaging performer (though her voice is beautiful). Marin, however, is magnetic. She is so grounded and self-assured and proves to be an equal match for the King over and over again. She is also incredibly warm with the children and Tuptim, and her voice is as gorgeous as ever. Daniel Dae Kim is quite sexy and very funny, and a bit more vulnerable than Ken Watanabe was which I didn't mind at all. 

Marin's strength helped balance the production quite a bit. When I saw the production last year, it felt like Lady Thiang and Tuptim's story because Ruthie Ann Miles and Ashley Park were both doing such beautiful, heartfelt, honest work that wasn't quite being matched. However, this afternoon I felt as engaged with Anna as I did with Lady Thiang and Tuptim, and I found Marin's work with Ashley Park especially touching. I was a little concerned that Marin might read a smidge too old, but she read perfectly and really brought all the layers to Anna that need to be there. I'm so, so glad I got to revisit this production because it's in incredible shape and Marin is pretty much perfect.

Nefertiti
#219Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/16/16 at 5:58pm

Robbie2 said: "Marin Mazzie*, Daniel Dae Kim (thru 6/26)

**Marin Mazzie will not appear in the following performances:  
- May 14, 2016 @ 2pm & 8pm
- June 14, 2016 @ 7pm
- June 15, 2016 @ 2pm & 8pm
- June 16, 2016 @ 7pm

"This does not mean that the show will end towards the end of June or July, however I doubt it will extend more than September 04th. That being said the production will be embarking on a National tour in November.

I am curious to see if they will get a new cast after June 26th.

ChiTheaterFan
#220Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/16/16 at 6:28pm

I bought a ticket to see this Wednesday night. Can't wait!!!  I was surprised as there was very limited ticket availability. Telecharge only gave me 3 options and all the other seats showed they were unavailable. (I was on my iPad though, and noticed for previous shows for whatever reason, it doesn't always show all available seats like the desktop does.). At any rate I'm very excited. I saw this from the center loge last year with Kelli. It was a great vantage point to take in the gorgeous scenes and set design, but this time I opted for a closer seat in the orchestra. (Row H, house left.). Sounds like Marin's performance is stunning so I'm excited to relatively close for it!!!

binau Profile Photo
binau
#221Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/17/16 at 4:21am

Slightly off-topic and I know I've said it before, but hearing how easily Marin has replaced Kelli makes me wish that Bridges of Madison Country was more successful so that Marin (and her husband Jason) could have gone in as replacements. I LOVED Kelli in the role, but I think Marin would have turned in a very very fine performance. It feels like a role she was born to play. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#222Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/17/16 at 8:11am

qolbinau said: "Slightly off-topic and I know I've said it before, but hearing how easily Marin has replaced Kelli makes me wish that Bridges of Madison Country was more successful so that Marin (and her husband Jason) could have gone in as replacements. I LOVED Kelli in the role, but I think Marin would have turned in a very very fine performance. It feels like a role she was born to play. 

"

The very idea of this is making me swoon. I loved Kelli and Steve vocally, but I always felt they read too young. I know that was their goal in casting, but Marin and Jason would've been out of this world!

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#223Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/17/16 at 11:54pm

Another source confirmed today that the show will run through the New Year. The actor playing the King exits the end of June and a few of the ushers will be going on maternity leave.

herewegoabc
#224Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3
Posted: 5/18/16 at 12:09am

I wonder if Conrad Ricamora will be leaving soon, too. Filming for How to Get Away with Murder starts in July, and since he's been promoted to series regular, it would make sense that he would have a larger presence and be needed more for filming. He missed quite a bit for filming this past year.

Videos