pixeltracker

Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016- Page 4

Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#75Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/27/16 at 12:10pm

The best person to direct FALSETTOS is Sam Gold, but I understand after FUN HOME why he wouldn't want to do it. 

INTO THE WOODS winning revival, in my opinion had more to do with wanting to honor Stephen Sondheim and the work itself (which lost best musical to PHANTOM, to the embarrassment of many). There was also a big backlash that year against the megahyped Trevor Nunn OKLAHOMA! which had been so wonderful in the UK but didn't transfer well to Broadway.

But I (and many others at the time) thought that revival of INTO THE WOODS was terrible and a missed opportunity. It had none of the magic or inspiration of the original production, and I think James Lapine just had no second vision for the material (why didn't he just revive his perfect original staging?).  I think in particular, he was haunted by the brilliance of the original cast, and perhaps not wanting to 'duplicate' their unique quirkiness  - he ended up instead with what I considered to be a really mediocre ensemble. 

My concern - sight unseen, of course - is that Lapine will have similar problems with FALSETTOS.  It's a simpler show - so maybe he won't feel the burden of re-invention; but I think its very hard not to be haunted by the perfect work you've already done once before (with the perfect cast).

I don't think FALSETTOS is dated, but I do think it needs a strong perspective that understand the context of the piece and how it now fits into contemporary perspective. I am not at all convinced Lapine is the man to best do that. I just worry we will get a production that is 'fine' and the material deserves better than that. But of course I will be more than happy to be proven wrong because I love the show and want it to succeed.

I did not see THE NEW BRAIN. That is closer to FALSETTOS in tone and size, so if that was extremely well done, there might be hope.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”
Updated On: 3/27/16 at 12:10 PM

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#76Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/27/16 at 12:19pm

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "Did you see his Encores production of A New Brain last summer? If so, what did you think?"

I saw it and was impressed. I loved the casting and the simplicity of Lapine's direction. It moved along at a nice clip and felt fresh and exciting.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#77Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/27/16 at 12:27pm

The best person to direct FALSETTOS is Sam Gold, but I understand after FUN HOME why he wouldn't want to do it.

Plus, as it has been discussed before, Sam Gold really does not have a great track record when it comes to revivals.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#78Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/27/16 at 12:31pm

Have we ever seen a musical revival from Sam Gold?

At any rate, I'm glad to hear the good report on THE NEW BRAIN.  Mr. Lapine's staging of LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE had similarities to his work on FALSETTOS (and didn't feel very fresh in my view) but we will hope for good work.

Updated On: 3/27/16 at 12:31 PM

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#79Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/28/16 at 8:22pm

Did anyone notice Jonathan Groff has a few mysterious months open now, before and after shooting the new Netflix show? ^_^

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

FiddleMeThis
#80Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/28/16 at 11:47pm

Which months? I don't think they correspond.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#82Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/31/16 at 3:06pm

Aaaaaaa THIS IS AWESOME

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#83Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/31/16 at 3:12pm

THIS. CAST.

barbraboy19902
#84Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/31/16 at 3:15pm

Dear Jesus this cast made me scream out loud!! I'm headed to NYC in March 2017...they'll still be around then....right???

Crazy NooNooHead Profile Photo
Crazy NooNooHead
#85Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/31/16 at 3:17pm

LizzieCurry said: "http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/03/31/falsettos-revival-casts-its-leads-christian-borle-andrew-rannells-and-stephanie-j-block/?smid=tw-share"

I apologize in advance to everyone who sees this production the same day that I do. Bring kayaks and life jackets or risk drowning in my tears.

"I have maggots in my scrotum!"

A Canadian in NYC Profile Photo
A Canadian in NYC
#86Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/31/16 at 3:17pm

My trip in November is shaping up quite nicely! Elated to hear this news :)

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#87Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/31/16 at 3:31pm

sorry I didn't see the previous post.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 3/31/16 at 03:31 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#88Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/31/16 at 3:32pm

I know! It's almost as if someone has posted a link already. Guess you were blown away.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

mamaleh
#89Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/31/16 at 3:39pm

I'm a great admirer of all three performers--especially Block & Borle--and love to see them in anything and everything.  But one thought struck me on seeing the casting news:  This show deals heavily with Jewish and other themes; I associate it with Mandy Patinkin, Chip Zien, Randi Graff, etc.  Ethnic-blind casting?   Or is every M.O.T. actor tied up in FIDDLER? 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#90Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/31/16 at 3:45pm

Rannells will be on Seth Meyers tonight for those interested.  Promoting Girls I'm assuming, but this could be mentioned.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#91Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/31/16 at 3:57pm

mamaleh said: "I'm a great admirer of all three performers--especially Block & Borle--and love to see them in anything and everything.  But one thought struck me on seeing the casting news:  This show deals heavily with Jewish and other themes; I associate it with Mandy Patinkin, Chip Zien, Randi Graff, etc.  Ethnic-blind casting?   Or is every M.O.T. actor tied up in FIDDLER? "

I'm surprised by the enthusiasm for the casting. My initial reaction was that it was uninspired, and you are of course right that it is also off.

rjm516
#92Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/31/16 at 3:57pm

OMG this is so freaking exciting!!! Love it! 

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#93Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/31/16 at 3:58pm

Stephanie J. Block, Christian Borle, and Andrew Rannells. 

Wow.

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#94Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/31/16 at 4:10pm

Great cast and I agree  wow.

However is Falsetto a niche musical like Sideshow? Critically acclaimed but the masses stayed away, could be same case here.

If this does have legs then you would have to say it has a great shot at taking the Tony.

I got a feeling that a resident first night critic 'WhizzerMarvin' will be there on the first night!

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#95Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/31/16 at 4:12pm

Dear God, YESSSSSSSSSS

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#96Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/31/16 at 4:14pm

LizzieCurry said: "I know! It's almost as if someone has posted a link already. Guess you were blown away."

What did I do to you? I said sorry.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#97Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/31/16 at 4:28pm

I guess I'm a little taken aback by the comment about the casting not being "Jewish enough."  What would "Jewish enough" look like? I've never thought about the Jewishness in the play as an ethnic issue; and I'm sure if you went to a Manhattan synogogue you would see plenty of people who look "as Jewish" as Stephanie and Christian.

Surely, we aren't at a point where we have to stereotype what someone of a particular religious belief looks like (and what they don't look like).

And isn't the character of Whizzer a gentile? Or am I remembering the text wrong?

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#98Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/31/16 at 4:28pm

Dying to hear what Whizzer thinks about this news! Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#99Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 3/31/16 at 4:41pm

Whizzer is half Jewish- otherwise it would be Three Jews in a Room Bitching instead of four!

I really like all three of these performers. I'll admit that they're not the first three names that sprung to my mind when the show was announced, but I imagine they will give great performances nonetheless. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!