TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#225The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/30/16 at 12:10pm

100% agree.

neonlightsxo
#226The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/30/16 at 12:31pm

I don't understand why you made such a sweeping statement as " I almost wonder if Van Hove understands the play." if you've seen so much of his work. He certainly understands the play, I repeat. You may not agree with him, and that's fine. I just don't think it's right to declare he doesn't understand it.

indytallguy
#227The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/30/16 at 5:17pm

FWIW, I wouldn't equate "I almost wonder if Va Hove understands the play" with "declaring he doesn't understand it."

Drewski Vanderbilt Profile Photo
Drewski Vanderbilt
#228The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/31/16 at 9:55am

Saw the final preview last night, very good production but didn't quite understand the set, but that was probably just me. Happy opening

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#229The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/31/16 at 9:58am

WhizzerMarvin said: "There is a general rush for The Crucible when the box office opens. Tickets are $35, 2 per person. 

Dammit, I want to rush this but I can't find anyone to go with me - - - I don't want to be obligated to purchase 2 if I don't need 2. sad

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#230The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/31/16 at 10:09am

You don't have to purchase two tickets, just that you can purchase two if you like (as opposed to the rushes that only allow one ticket per person).

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

mpd4165
#231The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/31/16 at 10:20am

I saw this last Sunday on a Rush whim and I was personally excited to finally experience a Ivo van Hove production. It took me a while to process or put into words as I described the production to friends what he was going for, but if anything, it left me fascinated in finding more to The Crucible than beyond what Miller wrote on the page. I think had this been a more "traditional" production, I probably would not have gone. 

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#232The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/31/16 at 10:50am

"didn't quite understand the set, but that was probably just me."

Not at all, Drewski.   Read this thread.  You are far from alone.

Broadwaywest Profile Photo
Broadwaywest
#233The Crucible previews
Posted: 3/31/16 at 12:37pm

Seeing this in May. Not sure if I made the right decision or not. I love the crucible and have read it 4 times in my life, also saw the last revival with Liam Neeson. I thought the production was okay, with an outstanding performance from Laura Linney. It seems conscenus is pretty mixed on this production. But I am all for non-traditional out of the box stagings.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#234The Crucible previews
Posted: 4/7/16 at 2:28pm

Saw this last night. It's one of my favorite plays, but this production is a mess. I agree that van Hove definitely understands the play, but I just don't see his reasoning for suggesting that the witches are real. (Is he suggesting that, though? It's so hard to make sense of it.) I think that's what he's getting at with Betty flying and the trash blowing in and light exploding when Abigail and the girls get hysterical, but I just don't see the logic of it. My best guess is that there is some kind of demonic force in Salem (maybe connected to Tituba?) that Abby unwittingly summons, and once it's unleashed there's no stopping it. But that's just conjecture and nothing else in the production really supports it.

Performance wise I thought it was fine. Never anything outstanding, though Saiorse is the most interesting to watch. I always forget how little stage time Abby has, and how long the scenes are. It drags. And I get that it was a clear decision to have the Proctors be the only ones that speak with British accents, but that doesn't explain why Elizabeth is Cockney. The way she sounds onstage is pretty close to her natural speaking voice, but I feel like she's been directed to play it up ("Abbygail!"The Crucible previews for a narrative purpose that's never clear.

The setting is confused and confusing. Why are they in a school? Nothing is gained by taking the play out of its usual 1692 setting, and if the production is trying to comment on paranoia and witch hunting in modern society, that argument is muddled by the fact that van Hove seems to believe the witches are real.

Also, for some reason there's a wolf.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

neonlightsxo
#235The Crucible previews
Posted: 4/7/16 at 2:56pm

Again, I do not think Van Hove is suggesting that the witches are real. He's sort of creating the atmosphere and showing us what they are imagining. Nothing in a Van Hove show should be taken literally.

I thought it was fairly obvious that he wasn't literally suggesting that, but it seems many people are misinterpreting his direction that way. Updated On: 4/7/16 at 02:56 PM

nycward
#236The Crucible previews
Posted: 4/7/16 at 5:23pm

I have seen many Crucibles over the years and found Van Hove's production fascinating. No, it wasn't perfect but it was always more than engaging. I found the supernatural effects to be spot on. No, they were not to be treated literally. It is the embodiment of Mass Hysteria. As a Psychotherapist trust me on this. The citizens of Salem needed to see all of this to justify the neurotic fear of the Devil that was deeply rooted in their societal purview. How can you just trust a few school girls who make crazy sounds with jerky movements? They absolutely saw the devil so mass burnings were truly justified. The fact that this never really happened is the great tragedy. As for the set. I think Van Hove really wanted a site specific experience and tried to recreate that in a theatre. Not sure that it really worked but bravo for trying. And the filmic underscoring by Philip Glass  helped with the mood. Was it relentless? Yes. But that was the point. You don't hire Mr. Glass for subtlety. Over the top. Yes. But again, bravo for going there.

Updated On: 4/7/16 at 05:23 PM

neonlightsxo
#237The Crucible previews
Posted: 4/8/16 at 9:20am

Agreed, nycward. Glad you liked it.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#238The Crucible previews
Posted: 4/8/16 at 9:45am

I had a lot of problems with this production.  A lot.

But I don't interpret it as suggesting that the witches are real.   Instead it boldly invites us to join the hysteria, to think we see what Mary Warren might have thought that she'd seen, by depicting it.   And, like Mary Warren, to question our selves.

Frankly, that's one of the few things this production does extremely well.

Of course that's just my opinion, the fact that so many have the opposite take suggests otherwise.

Updated On: 4/8/16 at 09:45 AM

Alex10
#239The Crucible previews
Posted: 4/8/16 at 12:45pm

I agree with everyone saying that they never interpreted the effects to mean that the witches were real. I always saw it as Van Hove trying to make us see what the characters were seeing in these tense moments, to understand how strongly convinced they were of what they were doing. It wasn't a perfect production by any means, but I thought that was effectively done, particularly with Mary Warren, who, as the last poster said, is suddenly doubting herself.

ncgator
#240The Crucible previews
Posted: 4/8/16 at 2:20pm

Another seating question for the group.  Is the stage high at this theater?  There is a discount code on BroadwayBox, but the options are somewhat restrictive.  Was looking at row C aisle seats on either side.  Otherwise, have to go pretty far back or pretty far to the side.

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#241The Crucible previews
Posted: 4/8/16 at 2:26pm

The stage is quite low.

jbird5
#242The Crucible previews
Posted: 4/9/16 at 11:10am

I think people are reading too much into this. We are over a half century removed from the McCarthy era- I'm not sure  too many people will make the connection. Ivo is just staging a play and trying to entertain us. There's precious few moments in this piece where he can do his thing. On second viewing, I'm not sure it works. The scene with the Proctors just drags. They're just not sympathetic people (and that perm is just too distracting). Norton adds some humanity but the real life Giles beat a man to death. The raison d' etre for this piece seems to have passed. 

oh-bwayhereicome Profile Photo
oh-bwayhereicome
#243The Crucible previews
Posted: 4/11/16 at 5:12pm

Anyone know if they are selling merchandise yet? Or if there is any way to order it online? They weren't selling anything when I went to one of the last previews...

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#244The Crucible previews
Posted: 4/11/16 at 7:43pm

This is my first exposure to this play. Do you guys think it's a good idea to read the play first before I see this production since someone mentions that they think the director doesn't really understand the play?

Updated On: 4/11/16 at 07:43 PM

Alex10
#245The Crucible previews
Posted: 4/11/16 at 9:35pm

oh-bwayhereicome said: "Anyone know if they are selling merchandise yet? Or if there is any way to order it online? They weren't selling anything when I went to one of the last previews...

"

I was there on 4/2 and they were selling merchandise, but they didn't seem to have the widest range of things to choose from.

flyingfan
#246The Crucible previews
Posted: 4/12/16 at 1:20am

Alex10 said: "oh-bwayhereicome said: "Anyone know if they are selling merchandise yet? Or if there is any way to order it online? They weren't selling anything when I went to one of the last previews...

"

I was there on 4/2 and they were selling merchandise, but they didn't seem to have the widest range of things to choose from.

"

I remember t-shirt and window card. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#247The Crucible previews
Posted: 4/13/16 at 11:35pm

I was finally able to see this tonight. I consider THE CRUCIBLE, a play that I know as well as the back of my hand, to be one of the greatest American plays ever written, and this production did not disappoint. I honestly went in blind, not knowing anything about how it was going to be done and was a bit taken aback at first when the curtain rose on the "modern" set. And while I'm not 100% sure in the end that it was completely necessary, the acting and staging made this the best production of the play I'd ever seen. I would actually be hard pressed right now to say that there's anything better on broadway than this, and I'm going to make sure I get back there as soon as I possibly can. 

neonlightsxo
#248The Crucible previews
Posted: 4/14/16 at 2:25pm

Dancingthrulife2 said: "This is my first exposure to this play. Do you guys think it's a good idea to read the play first before I see this production since someone mentions that they think the director doesn't really understand the play?"

I would read the play first if you can, but please disregard the comment about the director not understanding the play.

Jordan, so glad you enjoyed.

Videos