News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/20/16

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/20/16

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/20/16
Posted: 3/21/16 at 3:19pm

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/20/16 Click below to access all the grosses from all the shows for the week ending 3/20/2016 in BroadwayWorld.com's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance was: MATILDA (19.5%), THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (19.1%), LES MISÉRABLES (15.1%), FINDING NEVERLAND (12.9%), THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME (12.5%), CHICAGO (10.4%), BRIGHT STAR (9.1%), JERSEY BOYS (8.8%), THE KING AND I (8.0%), FIDDLER ON THE ROOF (6.4%), SHE LOVES ME (5.8%), KINKY BOOTS (5.5%), SCHOOL OF ROCK (4.9%), SOMETHING ROTTEN! (4.8%), FUN HOME (4.0%), THE COLOR PURPLE (3.2%), HUGHIE (2.2%), THE CRUCIBLE (1.8%), WICKED (1.2%), THE HUMANS (1.2%), DISASTER! (1.2%), ALADDIN (1.2%), THE LION KING (1.0%),

Down for the week by attendance was: ECLIPSED (-6.3%), BEAUTIFUL (-3.7%), ON YOUR FEET! (-3.1%), BLACKBIRD (-1.3%), AN AMERICAN IN PARIS (-0.1%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

Sunny11
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/20/16
Posted: 3/21/16 at 3:23pm

Hello spring break! 

Happy to see Finding Neverland bounce back, I was getting worried. Great week for Matilda, almost 20% increase. 

Updated On: 3/21/16 at 03:23 PM

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/20/16
Posted: 3/21/16 at 3:24pm

Just about every show got a huge bump. Hamilton remained the same as it can't sell anymore tickets. 

Not to be confused with Dave19.
Updated On: 3/21/16 at 03:24 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/20/16
Posted: 3/21/16 at 3:25pm

LOL, looks like we're gonna have to start getting used to seeing Shuffle Along take up three lines on the grosses board every week now Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/20/16

Otherwise, super solid week across the board. If anything, Disaster! is still doing pretty poorly, and I'm going to withhold judgment on Bright Star's until it officially opens.

@z5
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/20/16
Posted: 3/21/16 at 3:28pm

I was surprised to see the numbers for Bright Star. 

Also, was at Phantom on Sat night and barely saw any empty seats. Was really a good week for nearly all.

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/20/16
Posted: 3/21/16 at 3:28pm

Any good reason why Beautiful and On your feet, didn't see the bump? The only reasonable explanation I see is these shows draw an older crowd, and Spring Break brings in a younger crowd. 

Not to be confused with Dave19.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/20/16
Posted: 3/21/16 at 3:30pm

"Great week for Matilda, almost 20% increase. "

I was pleasantly surprised especially since their numbers were not that bad the previous week. I wonder what caused such a substantial jump.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/20/16
Posted: 3/21/16 at 3:34pm

It appears that the handful of good notices for Disaster! didn't help sales in a significant way...

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/20/16
Posted: 3/21/16 at 3:36pm

Nice bump for Something Rotten. Nice numbers for The Crucible and Shuffle Along.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/20/16
Posted: 3/21/16 at 3:36pm

Going into this upcoming week, I'm interested to see if/how Kinky Boots' numbers go, with it being Wayne Brady's final week in the role.

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/20/16
Posted: 3/21/16 at 3:43pm

Even though opening night and press tickets may have had a hand in it, it's nice to see She Loves Me playing close to capacity! 

hork Profile Photo
hork
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/20/16
Posted: 3/21/16 at 3:50pm

Dave13 said: "Any good reason why Beautiful and On your feet, didn't see the bump? The only reasonable explanation I see is these shows draw an older crowd, and Spring Break brings in a younger crowd. 

Good point. It would also explain AAIP's lackluster numbers.

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/20/16
Posted: 3/21/16 at 3:54pm

I like to read each week how shows are doing[don't understand the % thing] but what flashed through my mind-who chooses and what to see from the mass population that seem to make up the majority of seats sold.

Some on here,who can, see everything, others are more selective, but what drives the GP to see a certain show.

I read here of shows that are 'tourist driven' but wonder who and why a decision is made for certain shows-availibility/price/person? Perhaps I should stand outside any theatre and ask 'Why are you here'?

Maybe it's just advertising or word of mouth so there is no question-just curious.

If you did--thanks for reading.................SL......x

JM226
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/20/16
Posted: 3/21/16 at 3:58pm

I was pleasantly surprised especially since their numbers were not that bad the previous week. I wonder what caused such a substantial jump.

as already mentioned by someone else in this thread, can be mostly credited to spring break. mostly colleges but many public schools, too. hence the jump in family-friendly musicals and more contemporary, younger-skewing musicals.

Sunny11
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/20/16
Posted: 3/21/16 at 4:08pm

I assume that Phantom and Les Mis have an older target audience but they are also attracting tourists. I guess because to the general public these two names are regarded as  " a quintessential stage musical", they have been around for decades so a recognisable name to pick ? 

woeisme3
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/20/16
Posted: 3/21/16 at 4:13pm

Crucible's grosses are amazing- didn't know Ronan would be such a draw!

10086sunset
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/20/16
Posted: 3/21/16 at 4:45pm

Poor Bright Star can't seem to get any traction. 

Not even sure raves would change the tide.

VintageSnarker
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/20/16
Posted: 3/21/16 at 4:51pm

I'll be interested to see how Tuck Everlasting does (and to a lesser extent American Psycho and Waitress). I don't think anyone is consciously avoiding Disaster or Bright Star because of the lack of diversity but they don't seem to fit into the same narrative/climate as shows like The Color Purple, Shuffle Along, Eclipsed, Hamilton, On Your Feet, Fun Home, etc. 

Johnnywhatwhat2 Profile Photo
Johnnywhatwhat2
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/20/16
Posted: 3/21/16 at 5:27pm

SweetLips asked: "Some on here,who can, see everything, others are more selective, but what drives the GP to see a certain show."

That's the million dollar question! If show producers had a crystal ball and could ask only one question, it would probably be this. Advertising and word of mouth are important (reviews, etc) and those amplify the public interest, but hard to squeeze blood from a stone. I think it comes down to the show itself - it either captures the zeitgeist or not.

little_sally
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/20/16
Posted: 3/21/16 at 5:40pm

woeisme3 said: "Crucible's grosses are amazing- didn't know Ronan would be such a draw!

While I'm sure she's a big draw, I would think the title alone is a draw. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/20/16
Posted: 3/21/16 at 5:49pm

The lion king and wicked regain the top two spots. Happy that Matilda got up there.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Martello7362
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/20/16
Posted: 3/21/16 at 6:16pm

Hi all, first post so apologies if this is in the wrong section. How is potential gross calculated?

indytallguy
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/20/16
Posted: 3/21/16 at 6:16pm

little_sally said: "woeisme3 said: "Crucible's grosses are amazing- didn't know Ronan would be such a draw!

"

I went specifically to see Whishaw. I wonder if others are doing the same. But yes, the title alone is probably a big hook.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/20/16
Posted: 3/21/16 at 6:22pm

Martello7362 said: "Hi all, first post so apologies if this is in the wrong section. How is potential gross calculated?

"

Selling each seat at the regular price.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

little_sally
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/20/16
Posted: 3/21/16 at 6:24pm

indytallguy said: "little_sally said: "woeisme3 said: "Crucible's grosses are amazing- didn't know Ronan would be such a draw!

"

I went specifically to see Whishaw. I wonder if others are doing the same. But yes, the title alone is probably a big hook.

Whishaw was the main draw for my friend and I as well. But he's not exactly a house-hold name.

"

Videos