pixeltracker

Most Famously Tony Snubbed Broadway Shows/Actors/Directors/Producers/etc?- Page 2

Most Famously Tony Snubbed Broadway Shows/Actors/Directors/Producers/etc?

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#25Most Famously Tony Snubbed Broadway Shows/Actors/Directors/Producers/etc?
Posted: 4/19/16 at 8:53am

I vote for Daniel Radcliffe, too.

In another thread about "favorite Tony performances", I wanted to add the Brotherhood of Man number from his production, but I was lazy.

jcrispee2
#26Most Famously Tony Snubbed Broadway Shows/Actors/Directors/Producers/etc?
Posted: 4/19/16 at 9:16am

Sherie Rene Scott in Aida!!!

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#27Most Famously Tony Snubbed Broadway Shows/Actors/Directors/Producers/etc?
Posted: 4/19/16 at 9:19am

I felt that the absence of a nomination for Greg Barnes for the Aladdin costumes was gob-smackingly shocking.  Those are literally the most beautiful costumes that i have ever seen in any show in any year.  I felt that he should have won by a landslide.  To not even be nominated was unthinkable.

I also felt very sad about Warren Carlyle not winning for his wonderful choreography on A Christmas Story.  It is the reason that i went back to see it again  The thrilling tap dancing, the delightfully whimsical show-motion assisted run moment in Ralphie to the Rescue - they were brilliant!

Updated On: 4/19/16 at 09:19 AM

broadwayboy223
#29Most Famously Tony Snubbed Broadway Shows/Actors/Directors/Producers/etc?
Posted: 4/19/16 at 10:10am

Forgive me since this is not Tony related, but Judy Garland lost the Oscar to Grace Kelly :/ Though it was a flawed movie Judy gave one hell of a performance. IMO she deserved the Oscar. Sorry to slightly change the topic but Judy is musical theatre related. This was a huge snub IMO 

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#30Most Famously Tony Snubbed Broadway Shows/Actors/Directors/Producers/etc?
Posted: 4/19/16 at 10:29am

Robert Cuccioli for his performance in "Jekyll & Hyde, lost Tony to James Naughton in "Chicago"

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#31Most Famously Tony Snubbed Broadway Shows/Actors/Directors/Producers/etc?
Posted: 4/19/16 at 10:31am

-Robert Cuccioli - Best Actor/Jekyll & Hyde  (won every other major award except the Tony)

-Marla Schaffel - Best Actress/Jane Eyre (won or tied every other major award except the Tony)

-James Barbour - Best Actor/A Tale of Two Cities (snubbed)

-yankee lol posted nearly the same time!

Updated On: 4/19/16 at 10:31 AM

vfd88 Profile Photo
vfd88
#32Most Famously Tony Snubbed Broadway Shows/Actors/Directors/Producers/etc?
Posted: 4/19/16 at 11:04am

I feel like the term snub is usually used to refer to egregiously missed nominations, in which case I want to throw my hat in the ring for Daniel Radcliffe in How to Succeed. The two men who previously played that role WON the Tony, so not even to be nominated must have felt like a smack in the face.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#33Most Famously Tony Snubbed Broadway Shows/Actors/Directors/Producers/etc?
Posted: 4/19/16 at 11:05am

mrmushnik said: "Bridges of Madison County was inexplicably snubbed for Best Musical.  Steven Pasquale should have been nominated as Best Actor in a Musical."

These are the two biggest ones for me in the past several years.

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#34Most Famously Tony Snubbed Broadway Shows/Actors/Directors/Producers/etc?
Posted: 4/19/16 at 11:18am

The revival of The Seagull with Kristin Scott Thomas, Carey Mulligan, and Peter Sarsgaard did not get any nominations at all, which was shocking because it was extremely well-received by the critics.  (It was also popular with audiences, and recouped its investment.) However, it closed in December of that season.  I think that if it had opened in the spring, it would have received several nominations.

If Daniel Radcliffe had been nominated for How to Succeed, I think he would have won.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"
Updated On: 4/19/16 at 11:18 AM

vfd88 Profile Photo
vfd88
#35Most Famously Tony Snubbed Broadway Shows/Actors/Directors/Producers/etc?
Posted: 4/19/16 at 11:57am

mikem said: "If Daniel Radcliffe had been nominated for How to Succeed, I think he would have won."

Agreed, and it would have been deserved. I love me some Norbert Leo Butz, but it felt like a pretty lame win.

The Other One
#36Most Famously Tony Snubbed Broadway Shows/Actors/Directors/Producers/etc?
Posted: 4/19/16 at 12:20pm

"The revival of The Seagull with Kristin Scott Thomas, Carey Mulligan, and Peter Sarsgaard did not get any nominations at all, which was shocking because it was extremely well-received by the critics.  (It was also popular with audiences, and recouped its investment.) However, it closed in December of that season.  I think that if it had opened in the spring, it would have received several nominations."

That was a shock.  Kristin and Carey were magnificent.

Going back many years, it was a shock when the well-reviewed revival of "Death of a Salesman" failed to win Tony nominations for Dustin Hoffman and John Malkovich.  I, personally, did not like their performances, but they and the production had received rave reviews so their omission really was glaring.  (Ditto Malkovich for "Burn This."Most Famously Tony Snubbed Broadway Shows/Actors/Directors/Producers/etc?

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#37Most Famously Tony Snubbed Broadway Shows/Actors/Directors/Producers/etc?
Posted: 4/19/16 at 4:17pm

I'll put in another vote for Daniel Radcliffe, for all three Broadway shows he's done but especially for Equus. He should have won that year, and probably also would have won for How to Succeed if he had been nominated. He's a really strong stage actor and it's still shocking to me that the Tonys haven't recognized him at all even though he's turned in three excellent performances in completely different roles. 

hork Profile Photo
hork
#38Most Famously Tony Snubbed Broadway Shows/Actors/Directors/Producers/etc?
Posted: 4/19/16 at 4:33pm

Radcliffe was merely competent in How to Succeed. Nothing award-worthy about his performance. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#39Most Famously Tony Snubbed Broadway Shows/Actors/Directors/Producers/etc?
Posted: 4/19/16 at 4:59pm

Carmen Cusack.

(You know it's gonna happen)

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

BroadwayMan5
#40Most Famously Tony Snubbed Broadway Shows/Actors/Directors/Producers/etc?
Posted: 4/19/16 at 7:43pm

Should have been nominated: Daniel Radcliffe (How to Succeed), Chip Zien (Into the Woods), Sherie Rene Scott (Aida)

Should have won Best Musical: Into the Woods, Ragtime, Matilda, Beautiful

Should have been nominated AND won: Aida

broadwayboy223
#41Most Famously Tony Snubbed Broadway Shows/Actors/Directors/Producers/etc?
Posted: 4/19/16 at 8:35pm

As much as I love Jessie, Kelli should have one for Bridges. 

ozjust4 Profile Photo
ozjust4
#42Most Famously Tony Snubbed Broadway Shows/Actors/Directors/Producers/etc?
Posted: 4/19/16 at 9:05pm

Kerry Butler for Hairspray.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#43Most Famously Tony Snubbed Broadway Shows/Actors/Directors/Producers/etc?
Posted: 4/19/16 at 9:23pm

Tonya Pinkins for CAROLINE, obviously.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#44Most Famously Tony Snubbed Broadway Shows/Actors/Directors/Producers/etc?
Posted: 4/20/16 at 6:36am

Although this is mostly just a list of people you think deserved to win, there are one or two cases that do have a whiff of snub.

The politics of Finding Neverland do seem to have turned the community en masse against it; Daniel Radcliffe seems to be firmly shut in his Potter box.

But are there any other examples where a show/ performer managed to lose the love of Broadway and earn a snub in return?  I seem to recall Stew ruining his chances with comments about hating Broadway?

KathyNYC2
#45Most Famously Tony Snubbed Broadway Shows/Actors/Directors/Producers/etc?
Posted: 4/20/16 at 10:12am

devonian.t said: "Although this is mostly just a list of people you think deserved to win, there are one or two cases that do have a whiff of snub.

The politics of Finding Neverland do seem to have turned the community en masse against it; Daniel Radcliffe seems to be firmly shut in his Potter box.

But are there any other examples where a show/ performer managed to lose the love of Broadway and earn a snub in return?  I seem to recall Stew ruining his chances with comments about hating Broadway?

"

I agree with you. Most of these comments in this thread refer to people/shows who just didn't happen to win - when there was more than one amazing show/performance that they were competing against. That's not really a snub...you have Lion King and Ragtime for example, and I would have picked Ragtime 10X over to win but its loss was not a snub, it was just a loss.

A snub is a deliberate non-vote against a show or person who because of politics, personal grudge, etc.. was not nominated or did not win. I do feel that Daniel Radcliffe was a snub in at least 2 (if not 3) of his Broadway performances (though I can't understand why the snub exists). I also agree that Finding Neverland probably fell into that category (though I am not saying it deserved the noms/awards, just that it wasn't even considered because of the snub (and here I understand it - to a point).