Tony Award TV Ratings

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#1Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 4/29/16 at 11:12pm

Just curious if anybody thinks the incredible popularity of "Hamilton" will have a big effect on the Tony Award TV ratings.

aaaaaa15
#2Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 4/29/16 at 11:42pm

I don't know about a big effect but I'd be shocked if they didn't go up.

Wilmingtom
#3Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 4/30/16 at 3:16am

Hamilton's popularity is largely contained within the showbiz community.  I doubt that my mid-western sisters and their husbands have any notion of it.  The Tonys are watched by theater enthusiasts, whether or not there's a Hamilton in the mix.  But what if the enthusiasts think, "Well, Hamilton's going to sweep - I don't need to watch."  It could have the opposite effect on the ratings. But I don't see that happening.  Us diehards will whatch no matter what which is still no guarantee of great ratings.

Updated On: 4/30/16 at 03:16 AM

Broadway Forever2
#4Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 4/30/16 at 3:36am

yankeefan7 said: "Just curious if anybody thinks the incredible popularity of "Hamilton" will have a big effect on the Tony Award TV ratings.

"

I'm conflicted. I definitely understand the argument that only theatre buffs watch the Tony's and if htey know that Hamilton will win all the awards then they won't watch. It depends.

aaaaaa15
#5Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 4/30/16 at 3:39am

Well Hamilton wont win all the awards, not even all the ones it's eligible for. There's also all the play categories and the performances to watch for. 

Broadway Forever2
#6Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 4/30/16 at 3:46am

aaaaaa15 said: "Well Hamilton wont win all the awards, not even all the ones it's eligible for. There's also all the play categories and the performances to watch for. 

"

yeah obviously not and I'm not even sure I agree with the analysis I gave haha. I'm just talking about perception among viewers. I've seen that explanation about people not watching in another article as well.  And I can sorta see point broadway is a very niche market not like films where when Titanic won all those awards the ratings broke records.

However that could just be anti-Hamilton sentiment. The ratings could go up a bit.

After Eight
#7Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 4/30/16 at 8:21am

"Well Hamilton wont win all the awards, not even all the ones it's eligible for."

Yes it will. It has to.

In any case, I won't be in the tv room when it happens. I'll be listening to something delightful like Wonderful Town or La Belle Hélène. Or maybe I'll just read a good book. Thank heavens we still have pleasurable options!

As for tv ratings, maybe there'll be a championship basketball game or something else for sports fans in the same time period. Perhaps there are more of those than fans of you know what. But with the media blitz we've seen, who knows? Certainly if I were forced to choose, I'd take basketball!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#8Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 4/30/16 at 8:40am

I doubt it will make any discernible difference.  Just because that show has grabbed the nation's attention, doesn't mean those folks care about watching the awards.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

pupscotch
#9Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 4/30/16 at 8:48am

Some might watch until Hamilton's performance, and then stop watching.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#10Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 4/30/16 at 8:54am

CBS will promote the crap out of Hamilton's performance before the show.  If they're smart, they won't have them perform too early in the show.  Yeah, it'll help ratings, but probably not too dramatically.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

After Eight
#11Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 4/30/16 at 8:59am

I suspect they'll wait until the end to award best musical, knowing that the entire world will want to see the ultimate apotheosis.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#12Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 4/30/16 at 9:02am

I don't really follow TV ratings but how did the Tonys do back in 2011 when Book of Mormon was *THE* show to watch? Or back in 2004 when Wicked was *THE* show to watch only to be upset by Avenue Q? 

If those years went well for TV ratings, then this year will probably do well too. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#13Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 4/30/16 at 9:02am

After Eight said: " 

I suspect they'll wait until the end to award best musical, knowing that the entire world will want to see the ultimate apotheosis.

"

They always give out best musical last.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#14Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 4/30/16 at 9:15am

pupscotch said: "Some might watch until Hamilton's performance, and then stop watching"

Given Hamilton performed "Alexander Hamilton" on the Grammys, which song(s) do you guys think Hamilton will perform on the Tonys?

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#15Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 4/30/16 at 9:33am

"Some might watch until Hamilton's performance, and then stop watching."

Very true and too bad they could not perform twice, once at the beginning and once at the end of telecast - lol.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#16Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 4/30/16 at 9:35am

"Given Hamilton performed "Alexander Hamilton" on the Grammys, which song(s) do you guys think Hamilton will perform on the Tonys?"

Maybe "The Room Where It Happens" ?

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#17Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 4/30/16 at 9:41am

I'm also hoping for "Room Where It Happens."  It shows off Leslie Odom Jr. while still giving other cast members a chance to have their moments.  Perhaps they'll do a medley (American history in 3 minutes) to really give everyone a chance to shine.

sarahb22 Profile Photo
sarahb22
#18Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 4/30/16 at 9:47am

This might be an odd choice, but I was listening to the OCR the other day and thought that 'Yorktown' would make a great Tony performance.  It has most of the characters, a great rock beat, and showcases one of the pivotal events in our nation's history.  That said, it'll probably be "The Room Where it Happens".

non-stop26 Profile Photo
non-stop26
#19Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 4/30/16 at 11:57am

Given Hamilton performed "Alexander Hamilton" on the Grammys, which song(s) do you guys think Hamilton will perform on the Tonys?

"

Maybe they'll do a medley like some other shows have done. If not then I hope for "The Room Where it Happens".

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#20Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 4/30/16 at 12:14pm

Wilmingtom said: "Hamilton's popularity is largely contained within the showbiz community."

This is a false statement.

Jay94
#21Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 4/30/16 at 12:59pm

I agree that people outside of New York and LA probably don't know or don't care about Hamilton. It might make a marginal difference but it's not like that many people have actually seen the show yet in the grand scheme of things.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#22Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 4/30/16 at 1:03pm

We normally watch from beginning to end.With all of the suspense sucked out air in the musical category (except revivals), we might channel surf back and forth. We have given up on the Oscars after this year's debacle so who knows about the Tonys. Luck to all nominees.

Poster Emeritus

aaaaaa15
#23Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 4/30/16 at 6:33pm

Jay94 said: "I agree that people outside of New York and LA probably don't know or don't care about Hamilton. It might make a marginal difference but it's not like that many people have actually seen the show yet in the grand scheme of things."

I think you are underestimating the power of the internet with teenagers and other young people. There are youngsters all over the country who are obsessed with this show, whether they have seen it or not. Sure, your aunt from the midwest may not have heard of it, but if you know any teenagers who keep up with pop culture, they absolutely will have.

There are numerous TV shows (The Simpsons, SNL, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, The Mindy Project and more) that have all referenced Hamilton in their new seasons on the basis that their audiences know what it is. I think it's difficult to realize how big it is for those who aren't into theatre when we all knew about it before it even started off-broadway.

ChiTheaterFan
#24Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 4/30/16 at 7:02pm

As someone going to see a high school performance in small town Wisconsin tonight, I can tell you Hamilton fever has swept the nation. It may be mostly in young theater fans, but I think sometimes you guys forget there are a ton of theater buffs outside of New York. And the Internet makes all of this accessible. I don't know how much that will transition to Tony viewership though. Probably depends on CBS's ads in part. I'm sure there will be some increase but I don't think it's bound to become the oscars or anything. 

Its much the way Rent fever swept through me and my fellow drama nerds twenty years ago when I was in high school. When you think about it, it's quite remarkable that frenzy happened before the Internet. (But I didn't watch the Tonys until I started seeing shows in New York.)

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#25Tony Award TV Ratings
Posted: 4/30/16 at 7:08pm

Doubt it will make enough of a swell in the ratings for C BS to say they want to reup for 5 more years. It might be up. Who knows. Time will tell

Poster Emeritus