Under-active composers

Adam Guettel2
#50Under-active composers
Posted: 5/10/16 at 11:15am

Thanks to all who responded to my post for your words of encouragement. I'm an encouragement whore! By way of substantiating my claim that I continue to write, here's a private link to a new song from my project with Craig Lucas:

http://adamguettel.com/preview

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#51Under-active composers
Posted: 5/10/16 at 11:51am

So beautiful!

Thanks for sharing this with us!!

....but the world goes 'round

vfd88 Profile Photo
vfd88
#52Under-active composers
Posted: 5/10/16 at 12:28pm

Wow, thank you for sharing that with us Mr. Guettel! It sounds enchanting, and I (and I'm sure everyone else here) can't wait to hear the rest. I too was so disappointed to hear that Princess Bride wouldn't be happening, really hope we get to hear that score some day!

Updated On: 5/10/16 at 12:28 PM

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#53Under-active composers
Posted: 5/10/16 at 12:34pm

Love it! I've seen hundreds of shows over the years, and having Ms Clarke sing Fable straight at me in the 3rd row of the Vivian Beaumont is still the highlight of my theatre going career. And a production of Floyd Collins at the Speakeasy Stage in Boston is what got me to subscribe to them for the past 15 years or so.
Please give us more!

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

10086sunset
#54Under-active composers
Posted: 5/10/16 at 12:51pm

I've always wished there were more shows from Frank Loesser.

Ranger Tom
#55Under-active composers
Posted: 5/10/16 at 7:03pm

O'Keefe and Benjamin 

broadwayboy223
#56Under-active composers
Posted: 5/10/16 at 7:23pm

Adam Guettel2 said: "Thanks to all who responded to my post for your words of encouragement. I'm an encouragement whore! By way of substantiating my claim that I continue to write, here's a private link to a new song from my project with Craig Lucas:

"

Oh my gosh!! Thank you so much!' The song is beautiful. 

mamaleh
#57Under-active composers
Posted: 5/10/16 at 8:23pm

Mr. Roxy, thanks for the info about the never-produced "Barnum" musical by Grudeff & Jessel.  Too bad it never came to fruition.

I've long thought that "It's So Simple" painted a detailed picture of the character of Sherlock Holmes, from intelligence to personality quirks, so that the audience knew what made him tick from the get-go.  Fritz Weaver could talk-sing as well as Rex Harrison.

AnnieBlack
#58Under-active composers
Posted: 5/10/16 at 8:28pm

Joe Iconis? or does it fall into the column of under produced? and for that matter, why is his stuff not commercially produced?

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#59Under-active composers
Posted: 5/10/16 at 10:45pm

I saw this thread title and immediately thought of Adam Guettel. Funny how he thought the same thing. I was sorry to see Princess Bride fall through, especially under those circumstances. It's one of my all-time favorite movies.

I was going to make an excuse about how long and hard writing is (which I have personal experience with), let alone composing a musical (which I don't), but then I realized Oklahoma, Carousel, South Pacific and The King and I were all written within 8 years. So basically we're all just f*cking slackers.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 5/10/16 at 10:45 PM

broadwayboy223
#60Under-active composers
Posted: 5/10/16 at 10:47pm

Didn't someone mention Lucy Simon? She just had Dr Zhivago on Broadway. Say what you will but it was a beautiful score. I hope she continues to write more because she does have gift. 

ChiTheaterFan
#61Under-active composers
Posted: 5/10/16 at 10:56pm

Adam Guettel2 said: "Thanks to all who responded to my post for your words of encouragement. I'm an encouragement whore! By way of substantiating my claim that I continue to write, here's a private link to a new song from my project with Craig Lucas:

"

This is lovely. I never had the chance to see Piazza until the reunion concert, which is one of the highlights of all my NY theater experiences. I hope to hear more in the future. 

jo
#62Under-active composers
Posted: 5/10/16 at 11:13pm

Thanks for sharing the lovely THERE GO I,  Mr. Guettel!

More power to you!

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#63Under-active composers
Posted: 5/11/16 at 8:40am

"I'm surprised no one has mentioned Steven Schwartz...Wicked was 12 years ago!"

He was the first one I thought of and BTW he went to the same HS as me, he is a bunch older - lol.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#64Under-active composers
Posted: 5/11/16 at 8:43am

"Wildhorn is one. Many detest his music but many like it. Unfortunately, his shows are critically D.O.A. so he probably will not be on Broadway again. "

Actually, I wish he would write more songs for his ex-wife Linda Eder.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#65Under-active composers
Posted: 5/11/16 at 8:51am

Regarding Stephen Schwartz: http://www.playbill.com/article/stephen-schwartz-39-s-new-musical-about-mozart-39-s-librettist-sets-premiere-com-348389

Since Wicked, he also has written an opera, Seance on a Wet Afternoon, which premiered at New York City Opera in 2011.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

kristinj1 Profile Photo
kristinj1
#66Under-active composers
Posted: 5/23/16 at 11:47pm

broadwayboy223 said: "Thank you so much for posting Mr. Guettel! I hope we can hear your score for Princess Bride one day!! I'm sure it's beautiful.

"

Agreed!!

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#67Under-active composers
Posted: 5/24/16 at 2:22am

"

The song is beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing it with us. 

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#68Under-active composers
Posted: 5/24/16 at 2:44am

OK the trouble with sneak previews is that it makes waiting for the whole thing so much more painful!

A stunning song- thank you!

belrowley
#69Under-active composers
Posted: 5/25/16 at 12:45am

I've been listening to it on repeat. Thank you so much for posting it - can't wait to hear more!

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#70Under-active composers
Posted: 9/28/16 at 5:56am

Adam Guettel's "Millions" is finally getting a reading!

Great movie, and I can't wait to see/hear the whole musical.

....but the world goes 'round

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#71Under-active composers
Posted: 9/28/16 at 7:03am

I find the setting changes a bit unnesscesary, but yay for Adam!

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Alex Kulak2
#72Under-active composers
Posted: 9/28/16 at 11:31am

I'd like to see something new from Andrew Lippa. We haven't had anything new since 2013 with Big Fish and I Am Harvey Milk

Videos