LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th- Page 3

LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#50LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/6/16 at 11:13pm

Happy.

https://youtu.be/oVaC-hRktow

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#51LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/7/16 at 5:17am

If Kelli had stayed longer it would have ran longer.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#52LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/7/16 at 8:42am

I picked up a ticket to the last performance, even though I just saw it this past weekend.  I certainly like The King and I a lot more than South Pacific. I was kind of hoping this production would last through the summer.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

BroadwayFan12
#53LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/7/16 at 8:57am

I don't think Kelli's leaving had anything to do with it closing.

bwayandstuff
#54LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/7/16 at 9:19am

Sure attendance went down after Kelli left but I don't think that's why it's closing. Would it have lasted longer with her still there? Maybe. But, with that being said, I saw the show multiple times (all with Kelli) and the only times I remember it being full were when I saw it early in July right after she won the Tony and her last performance. The other times I went I remember the extreme sides of the orchestra and loge being fairly empty.

Regardless, I loved this production and am so glad I had the opportunity to see it.

gcal
#55LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/14/16 at 4:45pm

Has there been any word from Lincoln Center about filming this?

billyelliotfan123
#56LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/14/16 at 5:01pm

When The Nance filmed it's Live from Lincoln Center they did it a week or two after it closed so I think there could still be hope.

Petrichor
#57LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/14/16 at 5:13pm

Got tickets to see this show on its last weekend!

Does anyone here have any experience with stagedooring for this show? I'd like to try it but I don't know who comes out, or if anyone comes out. :)

VintageSnarker
#58LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/14/16 at 6:41pm

In my experience, the principals generally come out. Kelli didn't come out once but she did for other performances. Of course it depends. More ensemble roles will also come out but they might just walk past you if they don't think you're interested. The stage door area is great though. No barricades which is a little anxiety provoking for me but I love that it's indoors. 

ren598
#59LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/14/16 at 6:52pm

I was at the matinee this past Saturday.  I saw Daniel, Conrad, Ruthie Ann at the stage door.  Not sure about Marin.  I had to leave so I don't know if she came out after I left.  I was surprised by how quickly they came out.  By the time I exited the theatre and got to the stage door, there were already cast members signing playbills.

herewegoabc
#60LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/15/16 at 6:36am

I haven't been since the new leads took over, but I stage doored a couple of times this spring. Mostly everyone came out each time. Both times I went, Conrad was the first one out and showed up within 10-15 minutes of the show ending, and most of the others followed him fairly quickly.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#61LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/15/16 at 7:35am

Sad to see this revival close, I thought it was a true master class production with stunning direction, acting and designs that I will never forget anytime soon. I'm glad I saw Kelli with Ken Watanabe and Hoon Lee who both did great as The King.

Here's to hoping a Live from Lincoln Center recording happens.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#62LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/15/16 at 7:41am

A friend of ours saw it a few days ago and said the orchestra had lot of empty seats. 

Poster Emeritus

Danster
#63LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/15/16 at 8:33am

Still disappointed about this production and with less than two weeks till the final performance, I really hope something would surface about the live broadcast. Either way the management should issue a confirmation about if this program will or wont happen, rather than leave fans hoping. 

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#64LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/15/16 at 8:33am

I was there the weekend after Memorial Day, and the theatre barely looked 3/4 full.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#65LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/15/16 at 9:20am

In retrospect, they should have closed it when Kelli left.

Poster Emeritus

Nefertiti
#66LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/15/16 at 10:06am

I might be in the minority, but the show is in so much better shape then when it opened last year. Marrin s performance is incredible and Daniel is one of the best Kings Broadway has seen to date. If you have the chance, just go cause its the best production of The King and I I have seen, especially with this duo. 

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#67LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/15/16 at 11:33am

Do not kid yourself. After Kelli left the audiences shrunk. The NY Times was correct.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#68LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/18/16 at 12:04am

Live from Lincoln Center telecast live the last or near to last performance of Lincoln Center Theater's Contact, Light in the Piazza, and South Pacific. We had reason to expect them to do the same with King & I.

I hold out hope that they'll show a filmed version as they did with the concert versions of Carousel (Kelli O'Hara and Nathan Gunn) and South Pacific (Reba McIntyre).

binau Profile Photo
binau
#69LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/18/16 at 12:10am

SmoothLover said: "Do not kid yourself. After Kelli left the audiences shrunk. The NY Times was correct.

"

Kelli definitely had some impact on the box office - but let's face it. The show has been losing steam all year even when she was in the show. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Call_me_jorge
#70LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/18/16 at 12:12am

If they don't film it that would be pretty ****ty and shady on Lincoln centers part.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

jimmycurry01
#71LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/18/16 at 1:29am

Call_me_jorge said: "If they don't film it that would be pretty ****ty and shady on Lincoln centers part.

"

If they don't film it, it is likely that it isn't financially feasible for them to do so. It's not like they are opting out of it to be malicious. These things cost money, and if the show has not been doing well at the box office lately then they may not wish to sink the cash into a free, one time broadcast this time around.

Danster
#72LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/18/16 at 9:23am

Since there were lot of speculation about the broadcasting, I think it would have been wise if something that regards this television program would have been said when closing was announced. True that for decades PBS had LFLC, but it has been a while since their last episode, so one would question the continuation of the series itself.

I had thickets for The King and I which were automatically refunded, but when I sent an email asking about the broadcast, I was left without a reply, which did leave me upset. I really wish that something would happen since it would be a very long time since the tour would play near the town I live. A very disappointed patron.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#73LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/18/16 at 9:38am

I, too, am surprised this is closing so soon. I thought it would at least go a few weeks into July to get the summer tourists. 

I saw the production back in July but I am now thinking of getting tickets to see it one more time. 

Call_me_jorge
#74LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/18/16 at 9:57am

The last show filmed for pbs was act one, right? That wasn't that long ago.