pixeltracker

LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th- Page 4

LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#75LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/18/16 at 10:01am

Isn't there not enough time to plan a Live From Lincoln Center thing though?  Like I found an article on South Pacific and Kelli returning from June 1st of 2010. It aired and the show closed in August.  I have no idea when a closing notice came out because I couldn't find one. With the King and I, we were only given 21 days.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Danster
#76LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/18/16 at 11:47am

I am not sure how much time it takes for them to advertise and go live, but I do believe that it is more likely that a recording rather than a live broadcast would end up showing on PBS. Whatever, it is very disappointing.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#77LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/18/16 at 12:32pm

Don't miss it!

Discount Code: KINDS16

www.telechargeoffers.com

Select Orch: $89

Front Loge: $79

Rear Loge: $59

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

billyelliotfan123
#78LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/18/16 at 12:39pm

Someone had said in an earlier thread that Live from Lincoln Center was in Kelli's contract. Filming it after the show closes would make more sense in that case. Marin gets to finish the run and Kelli gets to come in for Live from Lincoln Center

Danster
#79LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/18/16 at 1:35pm

We can all assume, but if there is one thing I despise are rumors. That is why I thought it would have been sensible from the producers to put something on the closing announcements regarding the LFLC on PBS. The one thing we can do is hope for it to happen.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#80LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/19/16 at 12:31am

Saw this tonight. Mazzie and Kim were dynamite together. So much chemistry, and the show was so much funnier, more dynamic, even sexy. Loved it.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#82LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/19/16 at 11:08am

Ok guys, bad news. I just found out from someone with the production that there will be no LIVE FROM LINCOLN CENTER taping. With the closing happening so suddenly, there just wasn't enought time, so it's not happening for this production. 

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#83LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/19/16 at 12:06pm

I was sorely disappointed when I saw the original cast of TKAI shortly after it opened. Kelli, who was so magnificent in THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA and BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY, was less so as Anna, and the less said about Ken Wantanabe the better. But I love Marin, so I took a chance, and what a revelation it was. She was as good as she ever was, in splendid voice, and Daniel Dae Kim was great as the King. The whole production felt richer and more focused. If you can (and now that we know it is not going to be broadcast), definitely worth a first or second look asap.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#84LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/19/16 at 1:14pm

I don't understand why they didn't film it when they reunited Ken and Kelli. I thought for sure that would happen. 

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#85LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/19/16 at 6:12pm

Where is the closing night party?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#86LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/26/16 at 2:28am

Saw the production today and Marin is absolutely breathtaking in the role. I had seen Kelli twice, and I enjoyed both of their performances. Marin is tougher and more forceful, and it's beautiful watching her character change and grow throughout the show. I find it interesting that she's singing in what sounds like the original keys, she obviously could have handled Kelli's keys, I wonder why they went lower for Marin? 

The production is stunning and it's a shame it's closing and won't be televised. It's also a lot funnier now than it was last year. Kind of reminds me of when Bernadette and Stritch took over in Night Music, the production became immensely more humorous. 

I wish Marin got to play the role longer, her performance deserves to be seen by many. Also, Ruthie Ann Miles continues to show why she rightfully won the Tony. 

Updated On: 6/26/16 at 02:28 AM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#87LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/26/16 at 6:21am

I'm so glad I got to see this amazing production five times. I wish I could be there for the closing, but the seats went very fast!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#88LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/26/16 at 7:00am

Even though I saw The King and I three weeks ago, I purchased a ticket for its final performance shortly after its closing was announced. 

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#89LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/26/16 at 8:28am

I saw this on Thursday.  I'm not sure why it took me so long to see this. It was wonderful.  I loved Marin Mazzie.  And I totally agree on Ruthie Ann Miles winning the Tony Award last year.  I was also very impressed with Ashley Park.  I hope these ladies don't stay away from the stage for too long. 

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Petrichor
#90LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/26/16 at 12:35pm

What an absolutely gorgeous show. The costumes and stage were breathtaking. So many beautiful voices.

Unfortunately the person I went with put me in a foul mood and kinda ruined the experience, which is a shame because I know I could have enjoyed this so much more. I've wanted to see this show for a very long time. I'm very sad this is closing.....would have loved to go back and see it again.. broken heart

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#91LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/26/16 at 10:27pm

So King and I has a run just about half as long as South Pacific, which ended its run six years ago. Over 500 performances and previews for TK&I versus over 1000 for SP. Same theater, same creative, same full orchestra, same star, same reviews, same Tonys.

Hard to account for this. It's true that the South Pacific revival was being billed as the first revival ever on Broadway, while the fine Donna Murphy/Lou Diamond Phillips production of TK&I was "only" twenty years ago.

I have this theory that the "Golden Era" Broadway book musicals may lose some of their popularity as the generation that created them, Tom Brokaw's "Greatest Generation," has checked out and the Baby Boomers, who grew up to the music of those Broadway classics, makes the next exit.

Will anyone care to hear Billy Bigelow's feverish reaction to the news that he will be a father in the six or seven minute "Soliloquy" when they can indulge in "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" and "American Psycho"?

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#92LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/26/16 at 10:30pm

Was anybody at the final performance?

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#93LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/26/16 at 11:55pm

I was at the final performance today. The pairing of Marin and Daniel were the only one's who brought tears to my eyes. So happy to see Jon Viktor Corpuz as he was out my last two visits. 

No speeches. Marin was visually moved. An absolutely beautiful closing performance. 

I'm sure I'll add to this tomorrow as I just  got back to DC and I'm tired. 

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
Updated On: 6/26/16 at 11:55 PM

supersam1026 Profile Photo
supersam1026
#94LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code
Posted: 6/27/16 at 12:06am

I was there too, just a very supportive and loving audience! Lots of applause, Marin's entrance applause seemed to be never ending in the best possible way.

And of note, the usher by me was very talkative and said how she is going to be working at Jujamcyn theatres since the Beaumont is going to be closed for the next 8 months. So it seems we may have to wait until next winter/ spring for a new production to go in there.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#95LCT'S KING AND I REPRODUCTION IN LONDON?
Posted: 2/18/17 at 8:28pm

Are they still planning on reproducing this for London? Perhaps they are waiting for Laura to finish on tour so she can head to London with the show? Or am I too hopeful?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Musicaldudepeter
#96LCT'S KING AND I REPRODUCTION IN LONDON?
Posted: 2/18/17 at 11:49pm

That would make sense, but I don't think London is craving another King and I… The UK has had several tours of the show in recent years plus that 2009 (?) Royal Albert Hall production with Maria Friedman. 

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#97LCT'S KING AND I REPRODUCTION IN LONDON?
Posted: 2/20/17 at 2:06am

There was an Open Dance Call posted last April for Asian dancers for Bartlett Sher's The King and I, which it said was coming to the West End in the spring of 2017.

I suppose the show could still be coming to the West End later in this year than expected, but more likely this September item in "London Theatre Direct" is the correct dope:

THE KING AND I – Music and Lyrics by Rodgers & Hammerstein, Book by Oscar Hammerstein
In my eyes, Rodgers & Hammerstein’s best musical is probably The King and I and with the iconic movie turning 60 this year, it’s no surprise that the show was planning on making a return to the West End. In fact, last year’s Tony Award-winning Best Revival of the show was planning on coming into an ATG house with the production’s Tony Award-winning star Kelli O’Hara this Autumn, but the plans were seemingly dropped when the management was shaken up at ATG earlier this year. Perhaps the classic tuner will still make a debut next year, but it’s currently looking rather unlikely.