Tony Award Snubs!

theatreguy12
#25Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/13/16 at 2:43am

herewegoabc said: "My personal choice would be Shuffle Along for choreography and American Psycho for lighting.

"

My sentiments exactly. Lighting and choreography in Hamilton were super, but the lighting in AP was absolutely mesmerizing, and Savion's choreography in SA was simply astounding. Jaw-dropping, in fact. IMO, these two awards got swept up in the wave that is Hamilton and I don't think there would have been any intention of excluding them when almost everyone else in the show got theirs. I think those were the only two awards I disagreed with.

srg129
#26Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/13/16 at 4:09am

Clearly and obviously if it weren't for the overrated hype of Hamilton:

Shuffle Along--choreography, costumes, lighting design

Fiddler--Dany Burstein

She Loves Me--Jane Krakowski, Orchestrations

indytallguy
#27Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/13/16 at 7:13am

I really would have gone with Strong over Langella.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#28Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/13/16 at 9:38am

I am on board with the last poster

Poster Emeritus

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#29Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/13/16 at 9:39am

American Psycho was snubbed, first getting hardly an nominations and then losing Lighting

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

neonlightsxo
#30Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/13/16 at 9:40am

Nobody was snubbed. There weren't even any surprises.

Liza's Headband
#31Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/13/16 at 9:41am

You are all mangling the definition of a "snub," which explicitly requires an intentional act (or conspiracy/collusion) to meet the true definition of a "snub." Are you all suggesting that the Tony Committee got together and conspired on which nominees to intentionally punish via exclusion? I'll wait for a response... 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#32Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/13/16 at 9:45am

If not for the juggernaut last night, who do you think should have won?

Poster Emeritus

DramaQueen6
#33Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/13/16 at 10:16am

I'm a "Fiddler" alumni, so I was kind of rooting for the home team to win! But I digress: all of the wins last night were well-deserved!

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#34Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/13/16 at 10:44am

Call_me_jorge said: "I don't know why people think I'm joking about my 6 nominations suggestion. It makes sense.

"

This is not youth soccer where everyone gets a participation medal. 

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

dissimilate
#35Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/13/16 at 11:04am

Agree with the majority view on this board – Hamilton should not have won the number of creative awards it did. I’m fully supportive of Leslie Odom Jr’s win, though. Danny Burstein is a fine actor and truly he was the only good actor among the Fiddler bunch, but compared to how Leslie manages to humanize what could’ve easily been a one-note villain… not as impressive.

Lighting: American Psycho. Costumes: Shuffle. Choreo: Shuffle.

I also have a huge soft spot for She Loves Me that is unfortunately an excellent musical that just isn’t outstanding enough in any particular category other than Set Design (so deserved!). Where it could’ve probably challenged Hamilton would be in Best Featured Actress and Best Orchestrations. For featured actress, I’m ambivalent about Goldsberry vs Krakowski. I think they both turned in great performances that were nuanced and showy at the appropriate moments, and (re)defined their characters so strongly that any future performer will be compared to them. For orchestrations, SLM would be nothing without the full, lush musical backdrop that streamed through the show. But then Hamilton’s sound is elevated by its expansive but balanced instrumentals too. And both shows have such delicious use of strings. I would’ve loved to see SLM given a little bit more love in this ceremony (like maybe a later show placement for its musical performance?) but ah well.

I don’t quite have opinions for the plays because I haven’t seen enough of them, oops.

Updated On: 6/13/16 at 11:04 AM

vfd88 Profile Photo
vfd88
#36Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/13/16 at 11:06am

I would've loved to see Fiddler take Choreography and something else win Costumes (musical), but every other award I thought was given out to the best of its category. And the fact that Hamilton didn't just gobble up Actress and Set Design in its sweep shows that Tony voters were using their heads when they voted and not just their hearts.

theaterdude2
#37Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/13/16 at 11:14am

one of the things no one seems to mention or recognize is that this is a business. the people on the board are all giving their opinions about snubs and who should have won over someone else, but let's acknowledge how political the voting is. its unfortunate, but the majority of the tony voters vote for their own show, or for a friends show or for someone they have worked with before. some of them vote based on the fact that a show is going to tour and they want to increase its chances of success. a lot of it is based on money and politics. sometimes they get it right, but a lot of times, it's a popularity contest. 

Updated On: 6/13/16 at 11:14 AM

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#38Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/13/16 at 11:58am

Re: Danny Burstein, I too was disappointed he didn't win. But:

1. He's been in like twelve Broadway shows and has been nominated for six of them. To say he is "in the 1%" would be an understatement. He is very, very fortunate.

2. He will surely be on Broadway again soon in a Tony-worthy role, and you can be sure that he will win a Tony for it because by that point the voters would hate themselves otherwise.

Hairspray0901
#39Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/13/16 at 11:59am

I think everyone deserved their wins but personally I wish that Danny Burstein won Best Actor, American Psycho won lighting and Shuffle Along won choreography.  

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#40Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/13/16 at 12:37pm

I didn't feel there were any real snubs. The only win I really disagreed with was THE HUMANS for scenic design. I actually think the design (in execution) is horrible -- the entire front of the orchestra section (i.e. the premium seats) can barely see the top level. A great set design would not have made the nightlines such a problematic issue for the majority of the audience.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

MyLife
#41Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/13/16 at 12:53pm

I actually think David Korins was "snubbed." I think the Hamilton set is magnificent and does so much with so little. The She Loves Me set, to me, while colorful and functional was cartoonish and pretty cheap-looking. I don't mean this to say I wish Hamilton won more than they did. I think Hamilton deserved a win for set more than it did for costumes (even though I also happen to think Tazwell's costumes are perfect for the show and there is so much thought in them). I thought Shuffle Along should have taken Costumes and Hamilton Scenic Design.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#42Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/13/16 at 12:54pm

Agreed. Should have been Hughie

Poster Emeritus

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#43Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/13/16 at 12:54pm

I really would've liked to see Mark Strong win over Frank Langella, and as much as I liked Houdyshell in The Humans, I wish one of the women from Eclipsed had won.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

KathyNYC2
#44Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/13/16 at 12:56pm

I don't think there were any snubs. I didn't agree with all the winners but I don't think there was a planned conspiracy against anyone. I personally thought savion glover should have won choreography but oh well. And I was thrilled for the color purple but sad for she loves me. 

Updated On: 6/13/16 at 12:56 PM

brdwybound04
#45Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/13/16 at 1:00pm

Poor On Your Feet! I loved that show too! It will tour well, and had a nice TONYs performance, but Ana Villafane, and the show itself should have at least been nominated for best leading actress and best new musical at least. Not to mention Josh in his white shorts!!!??

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#46Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/13/16 at 3:58pm

For my money, all of the following should have won:

Beowulf Boritt's set for the play THERESE RAQUIN.

Es Devlin's set for the musical AMERICAN PSYCHO.

Ann Roth's costumes for SHUFFLE ALONG.

Jules Fisher and Peggy Eisenhower's lighting for SHUFFLE ALONG.

Savion Glover's choreography for SHUFFLE ALONG.

Daryl Waters' orchestrations for SHUFFLE ALONG that singlehandedly turned a pack of old songs into a score.

Otherwise, I can't argue much with the winners.

VintageSnarker
#47Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/13/16 at 5:02pm

I haven't seen Hamilton so it wasn't in the conversation for nominees I was rooting for (aside from Leslie Odom, Jr.). I don't think anyone was snubbed but I agree that...

Borritt should have won for the Therese Raquin set.

Not having seen Hamilton, Shuffle Along had the best lighting and choreography to me. Also, I did like their costumes but I liked everyone's costumes except for maybe She Loves Me (they're just OK) so I would have been fine with any of the other shows winning.

And personally, I think Saycon should have won for Eclipsed.

pupscotch
#48Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/13/16 at 5:09pm

King Charles III-Costumes

Mark Strong-Best Actor

Savion Glover-Choreography 

Those were the only real snubs. I do think Danny Burstein needs to win a Tony. Eventually the Tonys will have to give him at least a Lifetime Achievement trophy right?

Broadway61004
#49Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/13/16 at 5:11pm

Poor Danny being 0 for 6? How about poor Jane Greenwood now being 0 for 19 (Granted, she finally got an honorary Tony, but still, 0 competitive ones).

As much as I like Burstein, his Tevye was nowhere near Tony worthy. He'll give another tremendous performance soon, and then he can finally win.