pixeltracker

Sweet Charity - New Group- Page 4

Sweet Charity - New Group

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#75Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/11/16 at 12:33pm

I don't really see much payoff in having one actor play Dark Glasses (a nonspeaking dance role), Vittorio (who isn't actually a lover of Charity in any way), and Oscar - except that the producers only pay one actor instead of three. It's not like Little Me, where there's a thematic cartoonishness linking the characters written to be played by one actor.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#76Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/11/16 at 3:12pm

I would have to agree. The doubling of the comic mostly walk-on roles in this production makes significantly more sense.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#77Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/11/16 at 4:00pm

darquegk said: "Mark Umbers played all three lovers in the 2009 London revival, for one.

"

Sorry, I guess I mis-read you--I thought you meant that that was the standard way the roles are cast.  Looking at IBDB, while several of the roles are doubled or more, certainly neither  the original production, the Fosse revival and the Applegate revival didn't do it that way...

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#78Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/15/16 at 1:50pm

Looks like most seats sold out today with the subscriber sale besides some American Express premium seats, I decided to spring for one of those. 

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#79Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/15/16 at 1:56pm

Thx ljay, I figured as much...schedules just didn't permit us for this, short, small theater run. Oh well, I'm sure there will be plenty of feedback and reviews. Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale. break a leg to all!

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#80Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/15/16 at 5:01pm

Use code ARSC, for the Audience Rewards presale. They are selling the center section through this presale for $130. There's a fair amount of inventory now but its being gobbled up fast.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#81Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/16/16 at 11:42pm

Just realized Mary-Mitchell Campbell is the orchestrator. I wonder how many pieces she'll have to work with. She's a good choice. 

billyelliotfan123
#82Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/19/16 at 11:48am

How is it looking?

EricMontreal22
#83Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/19/16 at 12:28pm

I am still really curious about how this will turn out. I like Sutton as Charity (in concept anyway) but I think time and time again it's been shown to make a great production you need to nail those half a dozen or so production numbers with strong choreography (something I maintain no one has had aside from Fosse, but I am curious to see what Bergasse does) and with absolute top level dancers in the chorus (no matter how small). 

I was watching a video of the 1986 Fosse revival--the tour with Donna McKechnie--which led me to looking up Frank Rich's review of it to see what he thought. I think he's too tough on the libretto personally, he's spot on that what moves the musical into musical nirvana are so many brilliant numbers. http://www.nytimes.com/1986/04/28/theater/stage-sweet-charity-a-bob-fosse-revival.html

gallerygirl Profile Photo
gallerygirl
#84Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/19/16 at 12:40pm

The payoff was that a new character...a handsome cop, played by the same actor...fished Charity out of the lake after Oscar pushed her in during the last scene. And Charity fell in love again. It was charming and satisfying.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#85Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/19/16 at 12:51pm

Thanks for the Audience Rewards code.  Just scored 2 tickets in the Orchestra Center section, Row A for the second Tuesday.  $130 Premium Seating.  Wish all shows had $130 Premium Seating.  

As a diehard fan of Bob Fosse's work (and SWEET CHARITY), words can't express how excited I am to see a new interpretation.  I'm always excited when artists reinterpret and adapt work.  I also embraced Wayne Cilento's choreographic work in the 2005 Broadway revival.  I know all of Bob Fosse's choreography inside out so its so refreshing when someone rethinks things - even though he deliciously peppered Bob Fosse's little nuances.  Sadly I wish I could say the same thing about Rob Ashford's horrendous "Turkey Lurkey Time" in the fabulous 2010 Broadway revival of PROMISES, PROMISES.  His danced Overture made up for it on many levels as THAT was breathtaking.  He should have just bit the bullet and honored Michael Bennett by using his original choreography for "Turkey Lurkey Time".  Just for that one number.  

EricMontreal22
#86Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/19/16 at 12:58pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "

As a diehard fan of Bob Fosse's work (and SWEET CHARITY), words can't express how excited I am to see a new interpretation.  I'm always excited when artists reinterpret and adapt work.  I also embraced Wayne Cilento's choreographic work in the 2005 Broadway revival.  I know all of Bob Fosse's choreography inside out so its so refreshing when someone rethinks things - even though he deliciously peppered Bob Fosse's little nuances.  Sadly I wish I could say the same thing about Rob Ashford's horrendous "Turkey Lurkey Time" in the fabulous 2010 Broadway revival of PROMISES, PROMISES.  His danced Overture made up for it on many levels as THAT was breathtaking.  He should have just bit the bullet and honored Michael Bennett by using his original choreography for "Turkey Lurkey Time".  Just for that one number.  

"

I really have no good memories of Cilento's Charity. I saw the tour and the Frug and Big Spender worked best--but also felt the most like the original to the point that I wondered why they didn't just use the originals with special credit. I do think Stephen Mears' Frug from a recent London production--at least on YouTube, has some good idea. 

Completely agreed re Turkey Lurkey in PP. poor Ashford-- in the past ten years or so, every musical geek knows that number thanks to YouTube, there was no way to compete with that. A friend suggested that the Bennett estate, which is notoriously more anal about these things than the Fosse people, probably wouldn't let them just lease one number, but they did allow it with the Papermill Follies and Who's That Woman (another number where the recent revival should have just used the original). 

madela2
#87Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/19/16 at 1:21pm

Just got two premiums with the AR presale.

In the confirmation email I clicked on the ticketcentral.com link which is the ticketing site servicing New Group, I guess.

If you put in the AR presale code and go to the Sweet Charity tickets, it also shows the regular non-premium seats for presale. Would have been nice to save the $35 but I'm just glad I'm going.

Anyway, maybe this can help someone else get the regular price seats.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#88Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/19/16 at 2:32pm

In which production did the cop pull Charity out at the end? I've never seen or heard that ending before.

bwayobsessed
#89Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/19/16 at 2:47pm

Where were the $40 seats? I feel like can see seats in every area of the theatre and nothing cheaper than $85...

EricMontreal22
#90Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/19/16 at 2:49pm

darquegk said: "In which production did the cop pull Charity out at the end? I've never seen or heard that ending before.

"

Including the original previews--how many endings have their been??  

I kinda like the idea of her falling for a rescuer at the end...  Yeah, it shows Charity hasn't learned much but that's kinda true anyway. 

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#91Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/19/16 at 3:14pm

I know of an out-of-town version where (likely Fosse's idea) Charity ends by drowning herself, the "good fairy ending" from the OBC, an alternate ending LIKE the "good fairy" ending where she walks off wistfully with an "If My Friends Could See Me Now" reprise, into the sunset without the fairy, a Fellini homage ending from the film in which Charity is saved from despondence by some hippies, an alternate ending where Oscar comes back to her from that movie, and the "I'm the Bravest Individual" reprise from the 2005 version. The one with "hot cop" is new to me.

EricMontreal22
#92Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/19/16 at 3:43pm

Lol wow. 

Never heard about the drowning one. Did people actually let that be performed in front of an audience??  Lol

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#93Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/19/16 at 3:51pm

The spunky leading lady the audience has grown to adore kills herself at the final curtain - that's sure to inspire a standing ovation. I wonder what mood Fosse was in? That ending is entirely out of step with the whole rest of the show.

The Fellini ending is still the best - Charity/Cabiria always survives, always finds hope. It's what the whole story is about.

LittleCheno
#94Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/19/16 at 3:55pm

bwayobsessed said: "Where were the $40 seats? I feel like can see seats in every area of the theatre and nothing cheaper than $85...

"Bwayobsessed, the $40.00 seats (that I could see) during the AMEX presale were in the Mezz. There were four seats available each show, but were considered "Limited View" No idea if these seats will still be available during the general sale, but I don't think they were all sold out at the end of the AMEX.  

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#95Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/19/16 at 4:04pm

They are limited view, and I'm a bit worried about them, because there was quite a LARGE disclaimer on the website that "your view may be obstructed by scenery or other such items. NO refunds will be permitted..."

I hope it's not so bad!

Maybe try to volunteer usher? I don't know if the New Group does that, but the Signature does.

IlanaKeller
#96Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/19/16 at 4:08pm

I purchased AR presale tix a few days ago -- can't wait! Definitely going to be a different kind of vibe, excited to see how that pans out!

Twitter: @IlanaKeller Latest work: app.com/topic/asbury-park-broadway/

gallerygirl Profile Photo
gallerygirl
#97Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/19/16 at 4:10pm

darquegk said: "In which production did the cop pull Charity out at the end? I've never seen or heard that ending before."

Menier Chocolate Factory.

BroadwayBeebe
#98Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/19/16 at 4:36pm

An arts high school production I saw recently had an ending I had never seen and I'm told they received permission to give their own ending a spin. After their confrontation, Charity actually pushed Oscar into the lake. After he pulled himself out soaking wet, he bumped into Rosie and they have a "moment of connection" and walk off together. Charity watched them go off as the "Hopefully Ever After" sign came in. It was a very interesting new choice.

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#99Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/20/16 at 9:31pm

Yahoo and Yay! We just got tix for Thanksgiving weekend and I'm excited! I thought I'd have to miss this but we lucked out w/schedules. Can't wait to see Sutton Foster on stage again. I like Younger a lot even though it's not quite the Broadway stage. I do have very nice memories too of Miriam Shor on stage. She's terrific as the b!tchy boss. (I saw her in Merrily We Roll Along with Raul Esparza and they were great). C'mon Charity!

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?
Updated On: 8/20/16 at 09:31 PM